ADVERTISEMENT

Top Gun: Maverick

I am 35 years old and was born 5 months after the first Top Gun was released. I've seen the original several times including streaming it last week.

Saw the new one last night and thought it was awesome. There were a lot of nods to the original and they can probably continue the series with the new crew if they wish. Jennifer Connelly was a babe for 51.

Reactions: B1GDeal
We finally went today. The wife wanted to wait for the theater crowds to thin out a little. I have to say I loved it. At various times did I recognize that certain aspects were not believable? Yes. But, it's a freaking movie.
There were also a few very subtle nods to the original movie along the way. I thought the was cool.
Rom Cruise is an American hero for entertaining us for all these years. With two more Mission Impossible movies in the pipeline he will continue to make American movie making great again.

This might be the best review I've seen.

<It was a fun movie, go see it...but this dude is 100% right with everything>

If you don't have tik tok, here's his youtube

Thank you for that. There was so much stupid in this ego project for Cruise that it was insane. The original was actually more realistic than the sequel.
I get it, it’s a fun summer movie with lots of nostalgia - but the nostalgia was soooo blatantly done it was cringy.
My dad walked out and said “that was fun, but Jesus it was cheesy.” He’s not wrong.

We finally went today. The wife wanted to wait for the theater crowds to thin out a little. I have to say I loved it. At various times did I recognize that certain aspects were not believable? Yes. But, it's a freaking movie.
There were also a few very subtle nods to the original movie along the way. I thought the was cool.
Rom Cruise is an American hero for entertaining us for all these years. With two more Mission Impossible movies in the pipeline he will continue to make American movie making great again.
Subtle? El oh fugging el.

Thank you for that. There was so much stupid in this ego project for Cruise that it was insane. The original was actually more realistic than the sequel.
I get it, it’s a fun summer movie with lots of nostalgia - but the nostalgia was soooo blatantly done it was cringy.
My dad walked out and said “that was fun, but Jesus it was cheesy.” He’s not wrong.

I'm completely torn. It was fun, it was exciting, it kept calling back to the original which was cool. But being in the military for so long, it was just so blatantly unrealistic, almost Super Troopers level unrealistic.

It's not a "great" movie by any stretch. But it's so over the top, it's great. I really don't know whether to love it or be completely disgusted. As over the top unrealistic as the original was, it was spot on compared to this.

And I'm sticking to the the idea that Iceman was the good guy in the 1st movie. He wasn't the "hero", but he was the good guy. Mav was the dude who should have been kicked out of the Navy, even before Goose died.

Last edited:
Reactions: BelemNole
Subtle? El oh fugging el.

If by subtle he means smacking you in the face with a cast iron skillet, then hitting you with a baseball bat, then asking you if you got the reference, then playing the part in the original they were referencing, then repeating the skillet and bat...

Then yes, I agree...subtle.

. Mav was the dude who should have been kicked out of the Navy, even before Goose died.

While this is true, real life Mavericks have existed in the Navy. And did at the time of the 1986 film. Bud Holland is a great example. Reckless, cocky and stupid.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT