ADVERTISEMENT

Top Gun: Maverick

Tom Cruise is literally saving Hollywood and making America great again with one movie!!
I’ve talked to several people who said they hadn’t been in a theater since the pandemic began that ventured out to see Maverick.
That’s us

Saw it this weekend with the wife and son. Got lured in because of the good reviews.

Despite being 50 years old, I had never seen the original. So I watched that with my son on Friday. And...um...the original kinda sucks. I'm not knocking anyone's nostalgia for it, or whether it was "good" at the time. It's so thoroughly seeped into the culture that its impossible to view it "fresh", but strictly from the standpoint of watching it for the first time in 2022, its not very good. The storyline is kind of all over the place, and its hard to figure out why you should care about any of it. "Maverick doesn't follow the rules!" is kind of not an actual plot. I have a hard time believing that anyone watching it today, without benefit of the cultural cache of "it's Top Gun man!" would find it notable. And it's stupid and not really in a fun way.

While I'd never seen Top Gun, I'm a big fan of Hot Shots! (and Part Deux) and we watched that after Top Gun because Top Gun was just sort of a thud. I honestly think that you could take all the jokes out of Hot Shots! and it's still a more compelling plot than Top Gun.

But we went to see Top Gun Maverick anyway yesterday...and it's fine. It's good. It is an improvement on the first one in almost every way. The flight scenes are done very cleanly, and all had narrative value. The stakes of the entire thing were laid out all along the way, and the character arcs all (if a little cheesy) all made sense. Yes, it was still cheesy and silly, but in a way that made it easy to suspend disbelief and dive in.

I don't think it was a GREAT movie, and if I hadn't seen it I don't think I'd be missing anything, but it was worth the price of the tickets and was good escapist action fun for two hours, which seems harder and harder to come by.

I thought it was great. Much better than I expected.

My wife will still leave me if Tom Cruise comes knocking but that's totally understandable.

• Haha
Reactions: Tenacious E
I will also say, I have done all of zero research on what was real vs CGI, but knowing Tom Cruise movies and the little I picked up from this thread, I imagine that a ton of the stuff was "real". And you can feel it...even if I hadn't enjoyed the movie itself, I would have had a positive reaction to the conventional effects.

I'm glad to support the movie and have it be a big hit (as with Fury Road) in hopes that more films think it's worth it to do less CGI when they can.

Reactions: StonesCat
Saw it this weekend with the wife and son. Got lured in because of the good reviews.

Despite being 50 years old, I had never seen the original. So I watched that with my son on Friday. And...um...the original kinda sucks. I'm not knocking anyone's nostalgia for it, or whether it was "good" at the time. It's so thoroughly seeped into the culture that its impossible to view it "fresh", but strictly from the standpoint of watching it for the first time in 2022, its not very good. The storyline is kind of all over the place, and its hard to figure out why you should care about any of it. "Maverick doesn't follow the rules!" is kind of not an actual plot. I have a hard time believing that anyone watching it today, without benefit of the cultural cache of "it's Top Gun man!" would find it notable. And it's stupid and not really in a fun way.

While I'd never seen Top Gun, I'm a big fan of Hot Shots! (and Part Deux) and we watched that after Top Gun because Top Gun was just sort of a thud. I honestly think that you could take all the jokes out of Hot Shots! and it's still a more compelling plot than Top Gun.

But we went to see Top Gun Maverick anyway yesterday...and it's fine. It's good. It is an improvement on the first one in almost every way. The flight scenes are done very cleanly, and all had narrative value. The stakes of the entire thing were laid out all along the way, and the character arcs all (if a little cheesy) all made sense. Yes, it was still cheesy and silly, but in a way that made it easy to suspend disbelief and dive in.

I don't think it was a GREAT movie, and if I hadn't seen it I don't think I'd be missing anything, but it was worth the price of the tickets and was good escapist action fun for two hours, which seems harder and harder to come by.
Eff you commie!

Close to a perfect movie IMO.

big fan of happy endings, real life has enough unhappy endings.

I read some complaints about the movie dragging some in the middle. Likely a sign of my age but that was my favorite part.

Tom Cruise is one of the few true “Movie Stars” IMO. He might have a wacky religion and some clunker movies but he understands how to deliver on many occasions.

I read some complaints about the movie dragging some in the middle. Likely a sign of my age but that was my favorite part.

Tom Cruise is one of the few true “Movie Stars” IMO. He might have a wacky religion and some clunker movies but he understands how to deliver on many occasions.
Spot on.

I was expecting the worst and came away wanting to watch it again.

Even though the F-14 part was a little outlandish...I really appreciated the auxilery power/air unit Maverick showed the kid how to use. Many older fighters/aircraft needed them for start up. He had to pull pins as well which was a nice touch....

Just don't ever see the ground crew aspect and since I did that I appreciated it...

It was a good movie, but not great, imo. Anyone else find the premise that the only way to hit the target was to fly a plane there, when we have sophisticated missile systems that should be able to do the job?
Wait , are you saying that movies do things that might not happen in reality to build excitement and dramatic effect?

and here I thought I could trust Hollywood

also, the movie was freaking awesome. Just a really fun summer movie. My 11 year old daughter who has not seen the original absolutely loved it. Highly, highly recommend

I agree the premise might be a little thin as far as GPS blocking but I refuse to research it to find out.

this is what Hollywood should be putting out. I also appreciated the lack of skin in the obvious sex. There was no point in showing skin. The lack of it made it seem more beautiful.

the director is a Marshalltown native. I can’t help but think the greasy spoon he walked into after crashing wasn’t a shout out to his home town. Which had a Cecil’s Cafe on old highway 30.

I read an article about Kenny Loginns redid Danger Zone for movie but they went with original recording. A+ decision on that. Likely Loggins lost some of his fastball after 30+ years and anything but the original would have been disappointing.

can’t wait for AMC, TNT, Paramount to play this on broadcast TV 24/7.

I have to laugh, we never go to movies. I did a IMBD of Jennifer Connelly’s films. Never seen any of them, not even sure I ever heard of any of them.

EMB-PAY-EXCLUSIVE-Kelly-McGillis-in-North-Carolina.jpg

Like a fine wine
Would of loved it if she was in the cockpit of one those 5th gen fighters. The ultimate woman scorned!!

Reactions: bdg8
I agree the premise might be a little thin as far as GPS blocking but I refuse to research it to find out.

this is what Hollywood should be putting out. I also appreciated the lack of skin in the obvious sex. There was no point in showing skin. The lack of it made it seem more beautiful.

the director is a Marshalltown native. I can’t help but think the greasy spoon he walked into after crashing wasn’t a shout out to his home town. Which had a Cecil’s Cafe on old highway 30.

I read an article about Kenny Loginns redid Danger Zone for movie but they went with original recording. A+ decision on that. Likely Loggins lost some of his fastball after 30+ years and anything but the original would have been disappointing.

can’t wait for AMC, TNT, Paramount to play this on broadcast TV 24/7.

I have to laugh, we never go to movies. I did a IMBD of Jennifer Connelly’s films. Never seen any of them, not even sure I ever heard of any of them.
Might I suggest Requiem for a Dream.

I thought the ending of Tin Cup routined the entire movie. Showed his character didn’t grow one bit.

I need the happy ending. Like Watson does.
I don't think you'll find the ending to Requiem for a Dream unhappy as much as unpleasant. It's not Old Yeller sad. More like "well, saw this one coming."

I have been told there are websites which gather up her "good" scenes from various movies.
IMO the scene you're referencing isn't nearly as hot unless you see the romance between her and Jared Leto and their other love, IV heroin use (in the good old days long before fentanyl)

Went yesterday with the wifey (no pics unless you see us in the bookface) and the 16 yr old son to see it in Dolby digital.

Was fun and entertaining.

Made me laugh and tear up a bit.

Just what a movie should do.

Definitely see it in the theater.

Also happy they brought back Kilmer as Iceman for that scene even though he can't talk. Great job to moviemakers and technology for making this work.

Last edited:
Would of loved it if she was in the cockpit of one those 5th gen fighters. The ultimate woman scorned!!
In full Soviet garb. That would have been a good lead in to the 3rd film

and there has to be a 3rd film. Not that I want one, because they probably won’t match this one. But money talks

In full Soviet garb. That would have been a good lead in to the 3rd film

and there has to be a 3rd film. Not that I want one, because they probably won’t match this one. But money talks
Maybe Maverick can cross over to the Marvel Universe.

I would love another but they would probably kill him off at the end and ruin it all. I would be pounding my fist into the sand like Heston.

Reactions: seminole97 and bdg8

I'm sorry your life is miserable.

:cool:

I'm sorry your life is miserable.

:cool:

That's ok, it was only miserable for the two hours spent watching the original. Totally enjoyed the time watching the sequel! :)

(My son also thought the first one sucked, without me saying anything about it. But he's kind of a movie snob too.)

That's ok, it was only miserable for the two hours spent watching the original. Totally enjoyed the time watching the sequel! :)

(My son also thought the first one sucked, without me saying anything about it. But he's kind of a movie snob too.)
At least you were able to contain it into small blocks of time. ;)

Great movie, one of the best I've seen in a long time. I love slipping Penny Benjamin into the movie, crazy how many people didn't catch that from the first movie. What a great idea.

Sunday night we watched the original before catching the new one last night. Really fun to see them both, I'd recommend doing that before going to the new one.

Been awhile since enjoyed a movie that much. For a brief minute right at the opening scene it felt like I was 12 years old watching the original in theater. Now of course looking forward to seeing it my basement. Will probably tick off the wife because it must be enjoyed with all the speakers turned up and subwoofer cranked, much like she gets ticked off when I do that when the original is on.

Totally agree about the film and Cruise. Give the guy credit, he rarely makes a bad movie and no other 59 year old could pull off playing the parts he does. As you said, a true movie star.

I loved the movie. Most enjoyable thing I’ve seen in a long time. Saw it at an IMAX and the image and sound was fantastic.

And I would drink Jennifer Connelly’s bathwater. 😍

Possibly. Thinking about seeing it in IMAX to compare to the Dolby or whatever I saw. For science and such. And because it was awesome.

I saw it in the Waukee Imax (The Palms) - that's like the farthest point in the metro from where I live but it had to be done. I'm thinking about staying closer to home for the rewatch but it was so good in IMAX I also might have to drive out there again.

The MILFs in my fitness class this morning we’re all excited to see it. The. They started talking dirty about the volleyball scene in the original. Quite entertaining. Apparently two of them have a free pass with Tom Cruise should the opportunity arise.

The MILFs in my fitness class this morning we’re all excited to see it. The. They started talking dirty about the volleyball scene in the original. Quite entertaining. Apparently two of them have a free pass with Tom Cruise should the opportunity arise.
Isn't TC playing for the other team?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT