ADVERTISEMENT

Toppin wins Wooden Award

Both players had incredible years. I still like Luka better, but I am biased as an Iowa fan. Both appear to be excellent teammates.

Reactions: jellyfish10
The best solution is for Luka to come back and not leave next years awards to chance.
if he didnt win it this year. he can have the same numbers and he still will not win it... Its a big middle finger.

It's so frustrating to see Iowa get screwed out of these awards. First Duncan in football and now Garza in basketball. When both players had by far better stats than the players they lost the awards to.

Have any of the panelists that voted for Toppin for these awards ever explain their reasoning for doing so?

It's so frustrating to see Iowa get screwed out of these awards. First Duncan in football and now Garza in basketball. When both players had by far better stats than the players they lost the awards to.

Have any of the panelists that voted for Toppin for these awards ever explain their reasoning for doing so?
When they go home at night and they hit their knees...

;)

Barring injury, I think next year's team will be better and definitely deeper. I could see that helping to propel him to the award.
if thats the case... then the award itself is a sham.. If his award eligibility is determined by the team performance, than its a BS award, veiled by what it should be... and if that s the case... then no awards shouldve been handed out this year as the season was incomplete.

The best solution is for Luka to come back and not leave next years awards to chance.
Unfortunately I think this year was an outlier in that there weren’t really any players on blue bloods to be in contention for the award. It came down to an Iowa player vs a Dayton player. That won’t happen very often. This years draft class isn’t very good either so there wasn’t anyone like Zion or Barrett to compete with. Assuming that will change next year and there will be a one and done that will win the awards based on where they go to school.

Man, Garza was rolling in the early awards after the season stopped, then as time went by he was just forgotten about. Media is a bitch. How quickly they forget.

Without speaking to them I'd guess it's because they either think he is the better player or had the better season. Both are valid points of view.

Honestly who cares about Dayton on this board? We’re only bringing them up because of the award. Oh and Iowa>Dayton.
Play us and prove it. Seems to me we beat you the last time at the tourney in Orlando a few years ago. No basis for your statemnt

Not surprised but what a buzzkill.
I guess National Player of the Year comes down to the best dunker against weak A10 teams and not the actual player of the year.

The Top 2 Candidates:

Full Season Stats:

Points/Game
23.9--Garza
20.0--Toppin

REB/Game
9.8--Garza
7.5--Toppin

And Versus AP Ranked Opponents? It is not even close.

ET4zhRLWAAAy4EV

I guess National Player of the Year comes down to the best dunker against weak A10 teams and not the actual player of the year.

The Top 2 Candidates:

Full Season Stats:

Points/Game
23.9--Garza
20.0--Toppin

REB/Game
9.8--Garza
7.5--Toppin

ET4zhRLWAAAy4EV

Mic Drop

Reactions: Franisdaman

The Top 2 Candidates:

Full Season Stats:

Points/Game
23.9--Garza
20.0--Toppin

REB/Game
9.8--Garza
7.5--Toppin

ET4zhRLWAAAy4EV

I’ll take a team player over a me first player all day. Obi wasn’t asked to do more than he did. But then again, I wouldn’t expect any less from a low level team riding the coattails of a P5 conference

I’ll take a team player over a me first player all day. Obi wasn’t asked to do more than he did. But then again, I wouldn’t expect any less from a low level team riding the coattails of a P5 conference
Each time you get on here, you say something more stupid then the last. Your posts no longer even justify a response. This obsession with your boy has run its course, and no one here cares at all about him or your second level athletic program. Please go back to the armpit of Ohio where you came from.

Play us and prove it. Seems to me we beat you the last time at the tourney in Orlando a few years ago. No basis for your statemnt
Here's the thing. We don't have anything to prove. We all know who the best player was this season. We know it, and so do you. The asshats gave it to your guy. Congrats. Its over. Won't give Toppin or certainly Your second level athletic program another thought. No reason to.

Even for a Cletus like you, that is a dumb post.

Each time you get on here, you say something more stupid then the last. Your posts no longer even justify a response. This obsession with your boy has run its course, and no one here cares at all about him or your second level athletic program. Please go back to the armpit of Ohio where you came from.

He’s going to keep riding it out because he realizes nobody outside of Dayton is going to hear about their team again. The dream is dead. They had their best team they have ever had and they didn’t even get to play in the NCAA Tournament. That has to hurt.

I would have voted Garza but I'm not completely shocked considering Dayton's record? Both are terrific players even though I wanted Garza not going to talk down about Obi Toppin.

Reactions: CyberJJ
If Garza had those same stats and he had the name Kansas, Kentucky, Duke, N. Carolina, or Michigan St. on his uniform I wonder what the result would have been?

He won't be any more deserving than this year. He was absolutely robbed, could happen next yr too. Toppin played NOBODY

He won't be any more deserving than this year. He was absolutely robbed, could happen next yr too. Toppin played NOBODY
If I asked you to name member schools of the A10, how many teams could you come up with? ;)

I can come up with 2...and one of them is Dayton. LOL

Reactions: blhawk
Ahh but I remember we beat you in the NIT in 2011. What happened in the past is irrelevant, it’s what happens now is what people would care about.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT