ADVERTISEMENT

Toren Young forgoing final year of eligibility

Sounds like maybe 4 years of football was enough unless something else presents itself. Can't fault him at all for concentrating on graduating and the future job market! Very tough runner and yes, FB would've been a good position too perhaps..

Great team player, and at some point, it's just time to move on. Best of luck, Toren.

Reactions: owenhawk
Wish Toren all the best. He knew he would only see third best reps and situational plays. Hate to say it, but we (Iowa fans) can guess maybe some more transfer news is headed down the pipeline.

The RB room just got an extra seat.

He'll go down as an underrated Hawkeye, but he did have some good numbers when given the chance. I still don't understand how he was running all over Wisconsin this year, we lose a fumble on a bad snap, and then he never got another real shot that game. Wish him the best of luck in the future and glad he's graduating as a Hawkeye!

My son played against him in Madison. He's a great, unselfish kid. Hate to see him leave, I thought he would contribute a lot next year.

Reactions: m.stoops2013
If he is set to graduate and #3 on the depth chart, it seems like a logical decision. RBs are a disposable commodity in the NFL and some team will get a few years out of him.

Reactions: Muscles1989
Young always worked hard and did his best as another in the long line of team-first Hawkeyes. I hope things work out for him. Like most Hawkeye fans, I appreciated his attitude and effort and agree that he has a great future ahead, no matter what field that might be.

I always liked him. And I think he was misused and not used enough. The guy could move the pile I actually think you'll find a place in the NFL

He was missing the zone read a lot. If you watch the USC game, he had a huge hole to the inside but bounced it outside for minimal gain. That appeared to be a reoccurring issue.

I wonder if these guys are just burned out....They do devote so much time to be a D1 athlete especially through the Doyle program.
It would be interesting to ask our NFL guys to compare the time commitment and which level is more fun.
Seems like some of our NFL guys are able to let their true skill sets and personality come out once they leave Iowa. Not a knock, just an observation

I wonder if these guys are just burned out....They do devote so much time to be a D1 athlete especially through the Doyle program.
It would be interesting to ask our NFL guys to compare the time commitment and which level is more fun.
Seems like some of our NFL guys are able to let their true skill sets and personality come out once they leave Iowa. Not a knock, just an observation

Example?

I think people read a bit too much into things. He doesn't hate football, he's going to try for the NFL.

He's graduating, he's 2nd or 3rd on the depth chart with 1 season of eligibility remaining. He's ready for the next step in his life, whether it's getting paid to play or using his degree. Best of luck to him. Good work by him to put himself in place to have his degree in 4 years and give himself options.

Yeah as a running back why not go when your body can still handle it. Try the NFL, if not you can make a good living in the XFL or CFL and then move on past playing after that.

I think people read a bit too much into things. He doesn't hate football, he's going to try for the NFL.

He's graduating, he's 2nd or 3rd on the depth chart with 1 season of eligibility remaining. He's ready for the next step in his life, whether it's getting paid to play or using his degree. Best of luck to him. Good work by him to put himself in place to have his degree in 4 years and give himself options.
Exactly. He's looking at UDFA this year with a degree. Had he stayed another year, nothing changes; UDFA with a degree. There is zero reason for him to stay and put another year of free punishment on his body.

Selfishly, I wanted a Goodson/Young 1/2 punch next year. Oh well, Sergent is serviceable.

Exactly. He's looking at UDFA this year with a degree. Had he stayed another year, nothing changes; UDFA with a degree. There is zero reason for him to stay and put another year of free punishment on his body.

Selfishly, I wanted a Goodson/Young 1/2 punch next year. Oh well, Sergent is serviceable.
This will help open the door for some of the other younger/RS backs.

He has the body to be a NFL player, I believe he makes a roster next season, at HB or FB, James Butler is still with the Raiders p/s & Wadley would have stuck if he was 10-15lbs heavier.

making an NFL roster is unlikely, but if he's going to graduate this spring I understand the logic of this move. Coming back for one more college season as a reserve RB wasn't likely to help him much with the long shot attempt at making the league. Congratulations on getting his degree and best of luck with hooking on to a team.

Reactions: kceasthawk
ADVERTISEMENT