ADVERTISEMENT

Tornado threat in OK and TX

BABiscuit

HR Legend
Jul 4, 2001
Shit looks like it's about to get real. I saw where this is only like the 22nd time the Storm Prediction Center has issued a "high" chance of severe weather. The tornado specific threat is 45%, which means there is a 45% chance a tornado will be within a 25 mile radius of you.

I'd stay the hell out of Moore, OK today then. That place is a tornado magnet.

FEMA_Aerial_view_of_May_20%2C_2013_Moore%2C_Oklahoma_tornado_damage.jpg

I went to college in Wichita Falls, TX. It was routine for us to stand outside and watch the funnel clouds overhead.

The "big one" was in 1979 - conditions were very similar to this current map. It was over a mile wide and was on the ground for like 50 miles. It wiped out entire subdivisions.

Here's a good short documentary about it, with a lot of good photos and some video:

Here is a collection of photographs of the tornado:

https://www.weather.gov/oun/events-19790410-tornado-wfalls

Hopefully today doesn't go like that day did.

45% chance, so either it will or it won't, got it.

Seriously though, that would suck living in an area where the constant threat is there.

I was visiting my Dad in Tulsa. My stepmom was out of the country, so it was just me at the house while dad was work. I heard this siren--sounded like it blanketed the town--but didn't know what it was for. My dad called me and told me that it was the tornado warning siren and I should get into the center bathroom. I have been through several earthquakes, but that was the scared I have ever been in response to a potential natural disaster.

Reactions: NDallasRuss
I was visiting my Dad in Tulsa. My stepmom was out of the country, so it was just me at the house while dad was work. I heard this siren--sounded like it blanketed the town--but didn't know what it was for. My dad called me and told me that it was the tornado warning siren and I should get into the center bathroom. I have been through several earthquakes, but that was the scared I have ever been in response to a potential natural disaster.
Growing up it was common for us to get hauled out of bed in the middle of the night and led into an internal closet for possible tornadoes. We were lucky and never had anything worse than the fence coming down or losing a few tiles. Our church was destroyed one year, and we had some friends that lost most of their house.

I went to college in Wichita Falls, TX. It was routine for us to stand outside and watch the funnel clouds overhead.

The "big one" was in 1979 - conditions were very similar to this current map. It was over a mile wide and was on the ground for like 50 miles. It wiped out entire subdivisions.

Here's a good short documentary about it, with a lot of good photos and some video:

Here is a collection of photographs of the tornado:

https://www.weather.gov/oun/events-19790410-tornado-wfalls

Hopefully today doesn't go like that day did.

Midwestern StAte?

Reactions: NDallasRuss
Apparently there was a tornado warning that forced an evacuation at the graduation my Dad was attending in Tyler, TX on Saturday night. Fortunately, they were spared. Seems like its been rough this whole month across the state, but Memorial Day looks clear and storm-free for once.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT