ADVERTISEMENT

Total Chaos

GunnerHawk

HR All-American
Mar 16, 2014
Not sure how college coaches can do their jobs anymore.

- How do you discipline a player anymore? They hit the portal

- Not happy about playing time? Hit the portal

- Another team contacts your coach or family (called tampering in the pros) Offers more cash. Hit the portal

- Going to classes, grades questionable. Hit the portal

- Not a starter after spring football? Hit the portal

With the portal opening before bowl games, coaches don't know who will be on the roster. Kirk said in his press conference that they told all the players if they want to play fine, but make up your mind before you come to practice. If you're not sure, don't come.

Another subtle comment. He said it is interesting most of the portal entrants already know where they are going. Pay for play system at its best.

NIL and the portal will be the end of college football. The top teams with money will always win ( Yankees, Dodgers come to mind) MLB put salary caps and surtax on teams over the cap for a reason. Football and Baseball requires teams to give compensation for free agents. There are set windows for free agency, it is not during the season.

Another example on the other side. A coach comes in and gives his team their walking papers because of the portal and NIL. That is sad.

Unless rules are established, things will only get worse.

MLB doesn't have a salary cap but I do agree with your sentiment that this is total chaos

It really is crazy.

I understand someone like Padilla that likely wont see any significant playing time. The kid wants to play so hes gonna transfer. Thats fine IMO.

But everything in OPs post is very concerning and true,
Padilla, Bracey and Volk, I understand. Maybe Johnson and Jacob's because injuries are mentally debilitating. In both cases though, I think another team has tampered.

Hard to view things like I used to. The fact that money decides who comes and goes, rosters flipping 25% every season. Paying for a college education and legitimately having a shot at the NFL aren’t enough anymore-because the coaches make so much. As a kid I was a die hard Steeler fan first. As I got older I became a Hawkeye fan first. Too bad the Steelers suck this year because I find my self reverting back. At least the playing field is level in the NFL…

Reactions: Lumas Etima
You can only "hit the portal" once without traditional transfer rules applying. I think coaches will adjust, or will need to adjust to understanding that every player you recruit will leave you at some point to play at a different school. If you approach it with that perspective, you can prepare better for the inevitable, and if the player stays, that's even better. I do wish there was a rule put in place that only players within their first two years and players that have graduated can enter the portal without having to sit out a year. That isn't the way the game is played currently, however, so programs will need to adjust.

Reactions: Pawkhawk1 and nu2u
Except in the pros, you're under contract. You can't just leave whenever you want
Winner. If they wanted to be treated like professionals, then they should have to sign contracts just like the pros do.

Everyone likes to point to coaches have the right to leave whenever but many are also hamstrung with massive buy outs. If each player came with a buyout that the new school had to pay, you’d see a lot of this go away overnight.

I don't feel sorry for coaches making $6 million a year...they are well compensated to deal with aggravations.

NCAA mens football and basketball was never a level playing field---some universities have innate advantages due to location. With NIL, the rich are getting even richer and fans of a school like Iowa are further disadvantaged by progressive ideas of equity in NIL compensation.

The NCAA is no longer in charge, so the only way to fix the issue is for Congress to come up with a solution. Congress is obviously incompetent--both parties.. So that leaves the deterioration of college sports/chaos . Viewership will decline and kill the golden goose that pays for women's sports and elite life styles of college coaches/ncaa bureaucrats.

I no longer watch the College Football playoffs....pretty soon I'll be skipping watching ncaa basketball tourney because the chances of Iowa ever having elite success is becoming zero.

The portal makes Bowls pre season warm ups for next season. Who leaves, who stays and who sits?

NIL is impossible to regulate. The only way forward is to make the players employees and force them to sign a contract for 4 years. No idea how that would work legally and how that would work with Title 9 (sorry Tracy Griesbaum, but the field hockey team isn’t getting paid).

I think it is hilarious that the Boomers hate this.
The freak out is entertaining, for sure.
OGC.cf4925a7bf7e69aa6a6bf09539910a9d

I don't feel sorry for coaches making $6 million a year...they are well compensated to deal with aggravations.

NCAA mens football and basketball was never a level playing field---some universities have innate advantages due to location. With NIL, the rich are getting even richer and fans of a school like Iowa are further disadvantaged by progressive ideas of equity in NIL compensation.

The NCAA is no longer in charge, so the only way to fix the issue is for Congress to come up with a solution. Congress is obviously incompetent--both parties.. So that leaves the deterioration of college sports/chaos . Viewership will decline and kill the golden goose that pays for women's sports and elite life styles of college coaches/ncaa bureaucrats.

I no longer watch the College Football playoffs....pretty soon I'll be skipping watching ncaa basketball tourney because the chances of Iowa ever having elite success is becoming zero.
NCAA shoula have had a backbone to begin with, and said it starts and ends with this governing body. They have catered to too many whiners over the years, instead of establishing rules, accountability, and responsibility.

The main problem is, is that if you go against the grain on this issue, you're labeled several different things by a group of people that truly want college football to dissolve. The 10% have taken over.

Does anyone know why they open up the portal now? Why not after the season is completely over?

This. I posted in another thread. Imagine dealing with this chaos while trying to prep for a major bowl game or the playoffs. Good/bad for the Hawks that the bowl is pretty meaningless this year.

Hopefully by the time the playoffs expand and the Hawks have a better chance of reaching them.... The portal will have calmed down a little or rules will be tweaked.

Last edited:
I absolutely hate it, while simultaneously agreeing with the pieces.
I don't have a problem with kids being paid for "who they are". I don't have a problem with kids being able to leave if they're unhappy, but there should be ramifications for the decisions they make. At one point in time, there was something to be said for being a 'man of your word', and fighting through adversity. If you aren't better than the guy ahead of you, put in the work and get better, etc.
But I hate that teams like Iowa will become farm systems for the big boys. Have a good year for a "middle" team, the blue bloods come in and offer you a million dollar car dealership marketing contract.
It may very well sort itself out, and if you need to call us who don't like it a boomer so be it. I also don't have the perfect solution, but I will say--and don't think I'm alone in saying it--the way we have it right now will very quickly make my interest decline.

Not sure how college coaches can do their jobs anymore.

- How do you discipline a player anymore? They hit the portal

- Not happy about playing time? Hit the portal

- Another team contacts your coach or family (called tampering in the pros) Offers more cash. Hit the portal

- Going to classes, grades questionable. Hit the portal

- Not a starter after spring football? Hit the portal

With the portal opening before bowl games, coaches don't know who will be on the roster. Kirk said in his press conference that they told all the players if they want to play fine, but make up your mind before you come to practice. If you're not sure, don't come.

Another subtle comment. He said it is interesting most of the portal entrants already know where they are going. Pay for play system at its best.

NIL and the portal will be the end of college football. The top teams with money will always win ( Yankees, Dodgers come to mind) MLB put salary caps and surtax on teams over the cap for a reason. Football and Baseball requires teams to give compensation for free agents. There are set windows for free agency, it is not during the season.

Another example on the other side. A coach comes in and gives his team their walking papers because of the portal and NIL. That is sad.

Unless rules are established, things will only get worse.
Exactly! Spot on.

Maybe this NIL money should require some "staying requirements."

Also, how are these NIL payments being setup? I haven't read enough about the "swarm". But taking a pool of money and giving it to players... Do they perform anything in return or is it just because they are on the team?

Initially NIL was a way to get paid for your Name Image Likeness (NIL).... Which would be appearances and selling stuff...

Yes you can and it happens all the time haha. Have you ever heard of a term called “holding out”
Yeah. That only works for a few players. When LeVeon Bell did that it probably worked out for both parties. Bell signed his 50 mil deal with the Jets and the Steelers didn’t over pay for the most replaceable position in football.

Not a boomer. But a realist. This is dysfunctional and it’s hurting young adults more than helping. Im on board for making it a job. Sign a contract that both parties agree on for pay and years and let’s go.
How is it hurting young adults? They have the choice to better their current situation haha

More playing time, better fit, possibly more $$, etc….

You guys need to get over this archaic sharecropping model that has been in place for years.

Yeah. That only works for a few players. When LeVeon Bell did that it probably worked out for both parties. Bell signed his 50 mil deal with the Jets and the Steelers didn’t over pay for the most replaceable position in football.
The same could be said about these programs not having young adults being bought in to the culture. If I’m a coach I want players that want to be in the system compared to someone that doesn’t

Reactions: TheWatcherZKC
Is it true that you can only transfer once without having to sit out a year? If not, that needs to be instituted... Or like others said... NIL deals with contracts of staying... otherwise you have to pay a penalty, just like coaching contacts.

Of course you'll still have schools with huge bags of money to buyout, but would curb some transfers

How is it hurting young adults? They have the choice to better their current situation haha

More playing time, better fit, possibly more $$, etc….

You guys need to get over this archaic sharecropping model that has been in place for years.
I’m talking about the majority of players that don’t find greener pastures in the portal. Colorado’s entire team being told to leave to the portal. It’s not all sunshine and rainbows. What better way to get these players ready for life after football then signing a contract and getting paid?

• Love
Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
The same could be said about these programs not having young adults being bought in to the culture. If I’m a coach I want players that want to be in the system compared to someone that doesn’t
Agreed. I’m just saying let’s call it what it is. a job and pay them under contract. Not the old bs system of “student athletes.” I think we agree more than we realize.

I’m talking about the majority of players that don’t find greener pastures in the portal. Colorado’s entire team being told to leave to the portal. It’s not all sunshine and rainbows. What better way to get these players ready for life after football then signing a contract and getting paid?
So what you are saying they are learning a valuable life lesson at a young age if they made the wrong choice? If anything we are helping these young men for what the future holds.

Reactions: TheonGreyJoy
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT