ADVERTISEMENT

Total shot in the dark - PHawkKenyon

Jan 26, 2003
Kenyon - total shot in the dark. I have an almost 9-year-old that lives and dies for Hawkeye Basketball. We live in the Iowa City area. His birthday is coming up - we rented out the North Liberty Rec Center gym for two hours. Any chance that either of your boys would be willing to stop by and shoot hoops with the kids for ~30 minutes. While I know Keegan isn't going to be hurting for money soon (congrats by the way), I'm happy to pay them a bit for their time if that matters. If it's not their thing no problem. Jack will still be rooting for them either way.

Thanks

Pete

Most would say my wife (no pic) is too good for me. Only reason we're together is because I had the balls to ask. Can't win if you don't try. You can make all the fun you want. Any parent who wants to make his kid's BDay party amazing and memorable would at least give it a shot. I don't have any other way of getting his attention so tried this. If he doesn't respond then I've lost exactly ten minutes of my life. If he does and it works then I'm my kid's hero and this BDay party is a forever memory type of event.

Most would say my wife (no pic) is too good for me. Only reason we're together is because I had the balls to ask. Can't win if you don't try. You can make all the fun you want. Any parent who wants to make his kid's BDay party amazing and memorable would at least give it a shot. I don't have any other way of getting his attention so tried this. If he doesn't respond then I've lost exactly ten minutes of my life. If he does and it works then I'm my kid's hero and this BDay party is a forever memory type of event.
There is shooting your shot, and then there is this. They are in a no win situation. If somehow they were able to do your kid's birthday, then is the expectation that they do every kid's birthday who asks?

I would like to think that every opportunity to make money for someone in their 20’s who works hard to play BBall and go to school might be interesting. I don’t think if either/both came then they are obligated to come to any event. Every situation is mutually exclusive. To suggest otherwise is just stirring the pot for the sake of drama.

I’m not made of money, but I’m also not gonna expect him to do it for a 20 bucks. We can cross that bridge if they’re even interested. I doubt that the money will be the issue, but rather their busy schedules.

Yeah...they’re not coming unless you post some pics of your wife.

And unnecessary. Kids who have bdays with celebrities making appearances are typically spoiled brats. Instead of worrying about a grand gift, just be a good dad.
You raise your kid how you want and this guy can do the same.

I'd say a guy who takes a random shot in the dark to get a LOCAL Hawkeye Basketball player to come and shoot a few minutes with his Hawkeye Fan Son on his Birthday is being a good Dad. And clearly not wanting something for nothing, which I assume many of you nitwits here would prefer if it were you.

Not like the guy wants to fly in Michael Jordan. I hope one of the Murray Boy's has a spare minute. If their life gets too complicated you can always say a few little words...... "No, but Thank You for thinking of us and for the offer". Not that hard.

Good luck Dad.

You raise your kid how you want and this guy can do the same.

I'd say a guy who takes a random shot in the dark to get a LOCAL Hawkeye Basketball player to come and shoot a few minutes with his Hawkeye Fan Son on his Birthday is being a good Dad. And clearly not wanting something for nothing, which I assume many of you nitwits here would prefer if it were you.

Not like the guy wants to fly in Michael Jordan. I hope one of the Murray Boy's has a spare minute. If their life gets too complicated you can always say a few little words...... "No, but Thank You for thinking of us and for the offer". Not that hard.

Good luck Dad.
sm_hawkeye - thank you for the valuable parenting advice. I’ll definitely take that into consideration as I volunteer to coach baseball and tee ball this spring. Another bad parenting choice probably. It must be exhausting going through life looking at everything with such negativity. Jack’s a sweet kid. He likes the Murray twins because they’re from my home town, play for the Hawks and seem nice (his words). He’s jazzed to go wait in line for a possible autograph at Scheels this weekend. It’s pretty selfish for me to want to see his smile if one of them showed up at his party. You do you, though. Seems to be going well

@PHawkKenyon this seems like potentially a good revenue stream for your boys. Have a flat rate of $1500 (or whatever) for an hour at local birthday parties or events. No pro teams to compete with and Iowa fans live for college sports.

sm_hawkeye - thank you for the valuable parenting advice. I’ll definitely take that into consideration as I volunteer to coach baseball and tee ball this spring. Another bad parenting choice probably. It must be exhausting going through life looking at everything with such negativity. Jack’s a sweet kid. He likes the Murray twins because they’re from my home town, play for the Hawks and seem nice (his words). He’s jazzed to go wait in line for a possible autograph at Scheels this weekend. It’s pretty selfish for me to want to see his smile if one of them showed up at his party. You do you, though. Seems to be going well
Dude don’t be so sensitive. My goodness. You’re just requesting a big ask from a complete stranger, it’s just not a good look in my opinion. Fair to disagree and still hope birthday goes well for the guy.

Reactions: jo12208

@PHawkKenyon I hope Keegan and or Kris can make this.

Dude don’t be so sensitive. My goodness. You’re just requesting a big ask from a complete stranger, it’s just not a good look in my opinion. Fair to disagree and still hope birthday goes well for the guy.
You sound like a great dad! Your son should be proud of you. You are his father and if you are good to him you ARE already your kid's hero!!!

Its an nice idea but unrealistic to think they would take time out of their busy weekend to do this, especially with them already doing the thing at Scheels. Unless they advertise this I would personally not ask. I think trying to reach them outside of this forum is the way to go and if they do/did not respond then move on.

I think their preference is doing community events and not private events that do not benefit charities the university hospital, etc. If I was them I would decline because word would get out and others would expect it. They are better to decline and offer chances to meet them publicly like at Scheels.

See this link it's ab NIL but the video is about how they like to Help the community: https://www.kcrg.com/2021/12/15/kris-keegan-murray-use-nil-give-back-community

Reactions: nu2u
No need to defend yourself dude… it’s a reasonable ask for a reasonable amount from a guy trying to do right for his kid on their birthday. Hope it works out for you, but it sounds like your kid is going to appreciate the opportunity to meet them in person at Scheels regardless. A dad providing the chance to meet a childhood hero won’t be lost on your kid (if not now, then down the road) regardless of the opinions provided by the loser peanut gallery here

Last edited:
Kenyon - total shot in the dark. I have an almost 9-year-old that lives and dies for Hawkeye Basketball. We live in the Iowa City area. His birthday is coming up - we rented out the North Liberty Rec Center gym for two hours. Any chance that either of your boys would be willing to stop by and shoot hoops with the kids for ~30 minutes. While I know Keegan isn't going to be hurting for money soon (congrats by the way), I'm happy to pay them a bit for their time if that matters. If it's not their thing no problem. Jack will still be rooting for them either way.

Thanks

Pete
Good luck, I think what you are doing is awesome! You know though, if this doesn't work and the Murray's are not available, wouldn't your son be thrilled with any Hawkeye? JBo, PMac, CMac, Perkins? Maybe JBo is too important, but I doubt the others get asked that much and would love to have some spending money. I am not on Twitter but maybe you have to go there to get in touch with those guys.

I think the athletic department should have something set up for things like this, now with NIL money legal. It gives all these kids the opportunity to make a few hundred dollars for an hour or two of "work" and in the meantime be ambassadors for the university. These things would surely make lifelong lasting memories for these kids. And you know, it doesn't just have to be basketball and football players either.

Good luck!

Hey OP...this is great. I remember when I was like 8 or so someone got Steve Carfino to come to our little towns yearly celebration (Sourdough Days). He sat in the back of a convertible for the parade. I got to sit in the front seat in a parade, with Steve freaking Carfino. It was AWESOME! I'll never forget it. Goid luck!

Welcome to the basketball board.

• Sad
Reactions: red/green hawk
ADVERTISEMENT