ADVERTISEMENT

Tough Read - Student's First Hand Account From the Classroom in Uvalde

Hawki97

HR Legend
Dec 16, 2001
Iowa City, IA
This thread will devolve into stupidity within a few posts, but this is one hell of a difficult read if you've got an empathetic bone in your body.

-------

(CNN) An 11-year-old survivor of the Robb Elementary School massacre in Uvalde, Texas, feared the gunman would come back for her so she smeared herself in her friend's blood and played dead.

Miah Cerrillo spoke exclusively to CNN about her horrific experience that day inside the classroom where the mass shooting took place. Miah said she and her classmates were watching the movie "Lilo and Stitch" in Eva Mireles and Irma Garcia's classroom when the teachers got word there was a shooter in the building, she told CNN's "New Day."

One teacher went to lock the door, but Miah says the shooter was right there — and shot out the window in the door. She described it all happening so fast — her teacher backed into the classroom and the gunman followed. She told CNN the shooter looked at one of her teachers in the eye, said, "Goodnight," and then shot her.

He opened fire, shooting the other teacher and many of Miah's friends. She said bullets flew by her, and fragments hit her shoulders and head. The girl was later treated at the hospital and released for fragment wounds.

Miah said after shooting students in her class, the suspect went through a door into an adjoining classroom. And she heard screams, and the sound of shots in that classroom. After the shots stopped, though, she says the shooter started playing music -- sad music. She described the music as the kind where "you want people to die."

The girl and a friend managed to grab her dead teacher's phone and call 911 for help. She said she told a dispatcher, "Please send help because we're in trouble."
Miah said she was scared the gunman would return to her classroom to kill her and a few other surviving friends. So, she dipped her hands in the blood of a classmate -- who lay next to her, already dead — and then smeared the blood all over herself to play dead.

Miah said it felt like three hours that she lay there, covered in her classmate's blood, with her friends. She told CNN she assumed at that point the police hadn't arrived on the scene yet. She said afterwards, she overheard talk of police waiting outside the school. As she recounted this part of the story during the interview, she started crying, saying she just didn't understand why they didn't come inside and rescue them.

Miah's mother said her daughter is traumatized. The child's parents have started a GoFundMe specifically to pay for her therapy. Miah was too scared to speak on camera, or to a man, because of what she experienced, but she wanted to share her story so people can know what it's like to live through a school shooting. She says hopefully it can help prevent a tragedy like this from happening to other children.

If that read doesn’t trigger emotion and set you off that we’ve failed our children than nothing will and you are a cold hearted bastard
I doubt there are very many people on the planet that were already triggered by emotion at this whole thing. This story is absolutely horrific. That poor girl.

Heart wrenching. Those poor kids.

One fact that I glean from that account is that the classroom door had windows. That doesn't jive with the reports that officers had to wait for a key to access the classroom(s). Still a lot of questions to be answered about the response.

The concerning thing is that this is a working class neighborhood and these kids are going to need very intense and long-term counseling. And that’s going to be difficult unless the state steps in

The concerning thing is that this is a working class neighborhood and these kids are going to need very intense and long-term counseling. And that’s going to be difficult unless the state steps in
Probably doesn't help that Governor Abbot slashed $211M from the department that oversees mental health programs.

Reactions: Tom Paris
Probably doesn't help that Governor Abbot slashed $211M from the department that oversees mental health programs.
It’s not just the money. There are very weird rules to get mental health services through the victim’s compensation fund/program.

Heart wrenching. Those poor kids.

One fact that I glean from that account is that the classroom door had windows. That doesn't jive with the reports that officers had to wait for a key to access the classroom(s). Still a lot of questions to be answered about the response.
Every classroom must have two exits in case of fire. One can be a window, but there must be 2. There had to be a way the cops could break in. It would have been dangerous for them, but those kids were counting on someone to help.

Every classroom must have two exits in case of fire. One can be a window, but there must be 2. There had to be a way the cops could break in. It would have been dangerous for them, but those kids were counting on someone to help.
We can't have police putting themselves in harms way to save children. Best to wait for the S.W.A.T. team.

Yikes, that is a terrible, terrible story, but I thought there were no survivors from that classroom. Was she then the only survivor from those adjoining rooms?

That was some very heady thinking for a youngster, good for her.

This is what I keep thinking about. Why didn't the cops go around to the outside windows and cover the inside hallways? Granted the shooter may take a couple shots, but with cops on the inside and outside the murderer couldn't cover both ways.

Reactions: gohawks50
Yikes, that is a terrible, terrible story, but I thought there were no survivors from that classroom. Was she then the only survivor from those adjoining rooms?

That was some very heady thinking for a youngster, good for her.

There were some that made it. This 10 year old boy was spared thanks to the bullet hitting a chair in front of him. Sounds like playing dead was the key to survival if you weren't actually dead. His account is horrible as well.

Reactions: Old_wrestling_fan
It’s not just the money. There are very weird rules to get mental health services through the victim’s compensation fund/program.
This is one of those moments when a real leader - so I don't care if it's Abbott or Biden - would stand up and say that these kids WILL have everything they need as far as counseling going further. If they need it, the State of Texas will pay for it. The USA will pay for it. It's not their fault. They need to be taken care of.

This is one of those moments when a real leader - so I don't care if it's Abbott or Biden - would stand up and say that these kids WILL have everything they need as far as counseling going further. If they need it, the State of Texas will pay for it. The USA will pay for it. It's not their fault. They need to be taken care of.
Agree. And I’m hopeful it will happen. But speaking from a relatable experience, I wouldn’t be encouraged that it will happen at the government level.

There were some that made it. This 10 year old boy was spared thanks to the bullet hitting a chair in front of him. Sounds like playing dead was the key to survival if you weren't actually dead. His account is horrible as well.

Ugh, another tough read, but good to hear that some were able to escape the mayhem.

If that read doesn’t trigger emotion and set you off that we’ve failed our children than nothing will and you are a cold hearted bastard
This will keep the trolls out of this thread. This is what the GOP and the NRA do not want getting out. It's a horrifying recount, and it makes it harder and harder to tell people that they need to just stoically accept these deaths.
At each of the press conferences you will see fewer and fewer police officials, and politicians. The finger pointing will now start, and the avoidance of blame will reach a fever pitch. What happened to the kids. What the survivors endured. And, what we are learning about the timeline are horrifying.

The important thing to remember here is that we don't blame the easy access to these guns.

This will keep the trolls out of this thread. This is what the GOP and the NRA do not want getting out. It's a horrifying recount, and it makes it harder and harder to tell people that they need to just stoically accept these deaths.
At each of the press conferences you will see fewer and fewer police officials, and politicians. The finger pointing will now start, and the avoidance of blame will reach a fever pitch. What happened to the kids. What the survivors endured. And, what we are learning about the timeline are horrifying.

I’m honestly amazed our group of HORT trolls have restrained themselves this far.

Has it been established that the calls to 911 were then being relayed to the LEO's on the scene? It's possible in theory that some of the survivors were in contact with 911, that is seeming clear at this time, yet somehow, that vital info did not make its way then to the officers waiting in the hallway.

If so, why not? From anything that I have seen so far...the breakdown could be on the 911 operators, not necessarily the LEO's present. Now then, if the LEO's present had reason to know that there were survivors still in that room(s), then their apparent lack of timely response is crazy.

I doubt there are very many people on the planet that were already triggered by emotion at this whole thing. This story is absolutely horrific. That poor girl.
How does it feel to know American Conservatives enabled this?

Most Republicans are POS who care about no one but themselves. Screw them all to Hell. :mad:

ADVERTISEMENT