ADVERTISEMENT

toughest colleges to get into

QChawks

HB King
Feb 11, 2013
Quad Cities

Iowa: Grinnell College​

Getting into Grinnell College, located in Iowa, isn't a cakewalk. The college has a 28.9% admission rate and those in the 75th percentile for the SAT score 1510. Founded in 1848, Grinnell is a private liberal arts college that isn't as crowded as some of the others on this list.

The college offers degree programs in science, the humanities, and social studies on the small campus with an enrollment of about 1,600. Pulitzer Prize-winner Robert Hodierne attended this college.

67907467_676546242846192_804657820587533199_n-53470.jpg

Florida: University Of Miami​

With so many great schools in Flordia, figuring out which one is the most competitive to get into would be tough on your own. Thankfully, we're here to tell you that the University of Miami holds that position with a 35.7% admission rate.

Despite having a reputation as a party school, this institution is also a reputable private research university. In 2018, U.S. News & World Report ranked the University of Miami number 46 on the best U.S. colleges list.

dqv-77406.jpg

link to full list

Reactions: TarponSpringsNole

Iowa: Grinnell College​

Getting into Grinnell College, located in Iowa, isn't a cakewalk. The college has a 28.9% admission rate and those in the 75th percentile for the SAT score 1510. Founded in 1848, Grinnell is a private liberal arts college that isn't as crowded as some of the others on this list.

The college offers degree programs in science, the humanities, and social studies on the small campus with an enrollment of about 1,600. Pulitzer Prize-winner Robert Hodierne attended this college.

67907467_676546242846192_804657820587533199_n-53470.jpg

Florida: University Of Miami​

With so many great schools in Flordia, figuring out which one is the most competitive to get into would be tough on your own. Thankfully, we're here to tell you that the University of Miami holds that position with a 35.7% admission rate.

Despite having a reputation as a party school, this institution is also a reputable private research university. In 2018, U.S. News & World Report ranked the University of Miami number 46 on the best U.S. colleges list.

dqv-77406.jpg

link to full list
Grinnell recruited my kid for basketball. She didn't want that level of student loan debt. She liked it a lot, but it made no sense financially.

Reactions: NoleATL
I passed on grinnell and several other better schools for Iowa undergrad. Probably not my best move but it all worked out.

Reactions: JWolf74
30-35% admission rates? That's not hard. Shit, UCLA was in low single digits when my son applied.

Reactions: kkhawk
Grinnell College has been referred to as “the Harvard of the MidWest” for decades…..a degree from Grinnell is not to be taken lightly. It is all about high end education. My daughter visited and told me it wasn’t for her as there were study nooks everywhere! Including outside restrooms! I am sure it ain’t cheap but Grinnell is one of the highest endowed colleges in the world.

I had a chance to go to Case Western Reserve. I was young and foolish and poor, so I made another choice.
Case was my oldest’s #2 choice last year. Came down to engineering at NC State and Case Western. In the end, he decided to stay closer to home and he’s loving his choice.

Reactions: Finance85
Grinnell College has been referred to as “the Harvard of the MidWest” for decades…..a degree from Grinnell is not to be taken lightly. It is all about high end education. My daughter visited and told me it wasn’t for her as there were study nooks everywhere! Including outside restrooms! I am sure it ain’t cheap but Grinnell is one of the highest endowed colleges in the world.
Believe the average ACT score is 30 or better. Which probsbly triggers people that want to measure excellence.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT