ADVERTISEMENT

Toughest P5 Rebuild

CradleKing26

HR All-State
Dec 30, 2015
Which current P5 team would be the toughest to rebuild?

History, strength of schedule, and recruiting base all factored in- I think it has to be Rutgers. They play a strong schedule every year being on the B1G east and have little recent history. The only advantage they have is being near a large population center and recruiting base.

Could make a strong case for Kansas based off of a horrible history, Vandy because of academic standards, or maybe Oregon State.

What say you?

Kansas, Vandy, Wake Forest, and Oregon State for sure. Iowa State is up there as well and I give Campbell a ton of credit what he is doing. Most in-state kids will go to Iowa so they have to look outside of the Midwest - usually FL and TX. Not much for tradition there to clamp onto either.

History, strength of schedule, and recruiting base all factored in- I think it has to be Rutgers. They play a strong schedule every year being on the B1G east and have little recent history. The only advantage they have is being near a large population center and recruiting base.

Could make a strong case for Kansas based off of a horrible history, Vandy because of academic standards, or maybe Oregon State.

What say you?
I agree...Rutgers.

Kansas - Kansas has access to the Kansas and Oklahoma JUCO system not to mention KC market and some decent football played in-state. You watch, Les Miles is going to make them respectable and get them to a bowl by year 3.

Rutgers - access to recruits and population centers. Yeah, Big Ten East is brutal, but savvy scheduling and just winning a handful of conference games against the Indiana and Maryland level teams will get you to a bowl.

Oregon State - they've done it before, no reason they can't do it again. Recruit the crap out of Cali.

Vanderbilt - that's the winner. No way they can compete with their academic standards an above board/play by the rules approach in the SEC. Vandy is probably the toughest job in P5.

Agree with everything posted so far.

For some reason, UCLA & Colorado must be darned tough to rebuild, because no one is getting it done. Same with Arkansas.

One I hadn't thought of... Nebraska.

I'm not saying that in jest, but due entirely to fan expectations that exist despite the past 20 years. A realignment of expectations doesn't seem to be likely.

They won't be "rebuilt" until:
1. The level of success they had in the 90's is reached again
2. The portion of the fan base that remembers the 90's dies off

The first one ain't happening.

If a competent head coach were given that job, there is a hell of a lot more talent in NJ, than Kansas will ever have. Get a head coach in there that can “close down the borders” of the state, look out.

Let’s say Hayden Fry is only 40 years old right now and had his choice between Rutgers in the B1G and Kansas - I think he takes Rutgers and with that same coaching staff, they become a powerhouse program.

Reactions: ctghawk
Kansas - Kansas has access to the Kansas and Oklahoma JUCO system not to mention KC market and some decent football played in-state. You watch, Les Miles is going to make them respectable and get them to a bowl by year 3.

Rutgers - access to recruits and population centers. Yeah, Big Ten East is brutal, but savvy scheduling and just winning a handful of conference games against the Indiana and Maryland level teams will get you to a bowl.

Oregon State - they've done it before, no reason they can't do it again. Recruit the crap out of Cali.

Vanderbilt - that's the winner. No way they can compete with their academic standards an above board/play by the rules approach in the SEC. Vandy is probably the toughest job in P5.

Miles already fired the OC at KU. Those are the types of power moves that make change.

IIRC Greg Schiano did a great job of keeping in-state kids for Rutgers. If every year the coach could get half of the top thirty prospects in the state, that's the basis for a solid recruiting class.

They had been bad for so long I was rooting for them when Schiano's teams were winning games. Now they are in a tough division in a tough conference, but it would be great if they could get back to winning seven to nine games a season.

And I've never been in New Jersey in my life. All I know is the musical Jersey Boys, Janet Evanovich's books, Sinatra was born there and Einstein was on the faculty at Princeton. Oh yeah, Springsteen of course.

Kansas easily. Mangino really fvcked them over on the way out. Ran guys off with his shitty coaching behavior and got them sanctions to boot, leaving them short on scholarships for a while. They didn't have 85 scholarship players on their roster again until recently, which is a huge mountain to climb when you also suck really bad.

It’s just Rutgers easily with Kansas right behind. Rutgers wrestling is fine, but the rest of the sports are not at a Big Ten level. Rutgers and Maryland do not belong in the Big Ten.

It’s just Rutgers easily with Kansas right behind. Rutgers wrestling is fine, but the rest of the sports are not at a Big Ten level. Rutgers and Maryland do not belong in the Big Ten.

Too late. And in 120 years or so the Big Ten has never permanently kicked a school out. You are stuck with Maryland and Rutgers, before that Nebraska, before that Penn State, before that Michigan State.

What say you?
Mr. Magoo and Ozzie Nelson both played for Rutgers. If they can get that kind of talent in the past, they can do it again.

Reactions: JRingo
I agree with the consensus among Vandy, Rutgers, Kansas. And building on the head scratches of UCLA and CU, Texas for all the talent they bring in + high expectations has not been the easiest rebuild. It has not hit rock bottom like the above but man, they cannot get it done there with oodles of resources, talent and Matthew McConaughey!

Too late. And in 120 years or so the Big Ten has never permanently kicked a school out. You are stuck with Maryland and Rutgers, before that Nebraska, before that Penn State, before that Michigan State.

Well, they were talking about something new on the Dan Patrick show about dropping the shit football teams in every football conference, the bottom teams, and moving non p5 in there place year to year. Like dropping Oregon St for Utah, I think, In the PAC.

Logistically it’s almost impossible, but it was a discussion. I’d hate to lose Rutgers’ wrestling and Maryland basketball because they can’t play football, I never figured out if they were throwing shit in the wind out there or if this actually was a thing being discussed with NCAA. I would assume they were just talking about it. They said Iowa state should be in the Big and some Dakota team, probably the Bisons in place of the Bigs bottom feeders. If Brian keeps calling plays will get replaced pretty soon. Moran

Kansas, Vandy, Wake Forest, and Oregon State for sure. Iowa State is up there as well and I give Campbell a ton of credit what he is doing. Most in-state kids will go to Iowa so they have to look outside of the Midwest - usually FL and TX. Not much for tradition there to clamp onto either.
I saw a stat that after 46 games Matt Campbell and Paul Rohdes were both 23-23 at Iowa State.

Well, they were talking about something new on the Dan Patrick show about dropping the shit football teams in every football conference, the bottom teams, and moving non p5 in there place year to year. Like dropping Oregon St for Utah, I think, In the PAC.

Logistically it’s almost impossible, but it was a discussion. I’d hate to lose Rutgers’ wrestling and Maryland basketball because they can’t play football, I never figured out if they were throwing shit in the wind out there or if this actually was a thing being discussed with NCAA. I would assume they were just talking about it. They said Iowa state should be in the Big and some Dakota team, probably the Bisons in place of the Bigs bottom feeders. If Brian keeps calling plays will get replaced pretty soon. Moran

Dan Patrick can talk about whatever he likes that has never happened in 120 years. He is you and me, our opinion. He may do a little less research.

It was one of his crew that read the proposal and possible scenarios. He had nothing to say about it really beside the logistics problems.

To me it sounds like after 120 years a change could happen. Oops, my bad. Nothing has ever changed after the magic 120 year mark. Are you 14 or 104? NCAA players are about to get paid legally. Tell me how long that’s been?

Rutgers and Vandy. I don't think either will be successful until the whole big money system changes. No tradition at one, the other as wisely noted above, just too honest and academically rigorous for the semi pro semi literate conference in which they compete.

In all fairness to Iowa State think of the problems recruiting against schools like Oklahoma, Texas etc... that will do virtually anything for football success and have more money, tradition, alums ( = + money) TV etc... Campbell is a good coach. Hopefully he's ambitious and seeking literally more green and fewer pastures.

I saw a stat that after 46 games Matt Campbell and Paul Rohdes were both 23-23 at Iowa State.

Matt took over a team that was 3-9, 2-10, 3-9 for Paul's last three seasons. Matt is about to have 3 b2b 8+ win seasons in a row. It's not even a discussion.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT