ADVERTISEMENT

Trader Joes/Mings (Mandarin) Orange Chicken

GOHOX69

HR Legend
Sep 26, 2009
So I went to Trader Joes in C'ville on saturday to get my fill of white milfs pushing the edge buying curry tofu and I came across this Orange Chicken phenomenon. It was sold out. I asked TJ's polite help, hey where tf is this? He told me it sells out within an hour of the store opening and they get like 5 "cases" per day. I didn't ask him how many packages were in a case but my guess is not too many.

At any rate, combining my general laziness and my female friend's insomnia, I told her to go get me some when the store opened. Sure enough, she went Sunday am prior to the store opening. She told me there was a freaking line. Yes, a freaking line. As soon as the store opened, everyone (she's white and so were all of the queue) raided that orange chicken like it was manna from heaven. She escaped with her life and 2 packages.

One such package is carefully sitting in my freezer. So, HORT, I know you've sent hired help to get this crap but really is it all that it's cracked up to be? Anyone try this junk? Will I be next, waiting in line? FYI, the funny thing is the package says "Trader Mings" which of course reminded me of Flash Gordon.

Besides this garbage, what is one food item that you like that is always out of stock due to demand?

Not because of demand, but I imagine because of supply chain issues, this stuff was out of stock at our local stores for about a year. Just saw it back last week and grabbed several.

960098612-A1C1

Reactions: B1GDeal and GOHOX69
Not because of demand, but I imagine because of supply chain issues, this stuff was out of stock at our local stores for about a year. Just saw it back last week and grabbed several.

960098612-A1C1
I have a jar or two of this. Is it a condiment or a cooking ingredient?

So I went to Trader Joes in C'ville on saturday to get my fill of white milfs pushing the edge buying curry tofu and I came across this Orange Chicken phenomenon. It was sold out. I asked TJ's polite help, hey where tf is this? He told me it sells out within an hour of the store opening and they get like 5 "cases" per day. I didn't ask him how many packages were in a case but my guess is not too many.

At any rate, combining my general laziness and my female friend's insomnia, I told her to go get me some when the store opened. Sure enough, she went Sunday am prior to the store opening. She told me there was a freaking line. Yes, a freaking line. As soon as the store opened, everyone (she's white and so were all of the queue) raided that orange chicken like it was manna from heaven. She escaped with her life and 2 packages.

One such package is carefully sitting in my freezer. So, HORT, I know you've sent hired help to get this crap but really is it all that it's cracked up to be? Anyone try this junk? Will I be next, waiting in line? FYI, the funny thing is the package says "Trader Mings" which of course reminded me of Flash Gordon.

Besides this garbage, what is one food item that you like that is always out of stock due to demand?
its fine, but nothing earth shattering. Never seen a line for it, and actually cant recall the last time i didnt see it in stock in the WDM store.

Reactions: GOHOX69
I have a jar or two of this. Is it a condiment or a cooking ingredient?

My main use is as a condiment, I use it when I make chinese buffet style teriyaki chicken skewers. Recipe here, because these are effing delicious and one of the best things I make (though a lot of work):

However, because I found some last week, I used it in something else, sweet and hot grilled thai chile chicken thighs.

First I deboned some chicken thighs to get boneless, skin on chicken thighs, which is one of the most delicious things in the world.

Then I marinated them several hours in cornell chicken marinade.

https://www.thespruceeats.com/dr-bakers-original-cornell-chicken-recipe-101127

Then gave them a light rub of brown sugar and salt/pepper/onion powder/garlic powder.

20221011-170132.jpg

Put them on the indirect side of the grill and smoked them for about 45 minutes. When they were near done, I seared them on the hot side to crisp up the skin beautifully and give them a little grill char.

20221011-172507.jpg

Then I basted them with a 50/50 blend of these two things for a bit and let the heat cook that on...

960098612-A1C1

The sweet chili wing sauce is syrupy like a glaze to stick to the chicken, and the hot chili paste gives it a big heat kick, so you get a sweet and spicy chili sauce that sticks to the chicken.

20221011-173936.jpg

Honestly, I just kind of pulled the whole idea out of my ass. I rarely improvise something without a recipe, but this turned out amazing and I will be doing it regularly. Taking a few minutes to debone them makes them so much easier to eat and enjoy, makes sure they cook evenly and all the way through, and makes them easier to sear without burning.

20221011-174259.jpg

It's pretty good. Very quick and easy to make which also helps in its appeal. That said, seems like I can usually grab 2-3 bags when I stop in there. It is sold out on occasion but tend to be able to get some most of the time.

its fine, but nothing earth shattering. Never seen a line for it, and actually cant recall the last time i didnt see it in stock in the WDM store.
We're slow on the uptake in C'ville. You guys have multiple stores in WDM or DSM?

My main use is as a condiment, I use it when I make chinese buffet style teriyaki chicken skewers. Recipe here, because these are effing delicious and one of the best things I make (though a lot of work):

However, because I found some last week, I used it in something else, sweet and hot grilled thai chile chicken thighs.

First I deboned some chicken thighs to get boneless, skin on chicken thighs, which is one of the most delicious things in the world.

Then gave them a light rub of brown sugar and salt/pepper/onion powder/garlic powder.

20221011-170132.jpg

Put them on the indirect side of the grill and smoked them for about 45 minutes. When they were near done, I seared them on the hot side to crisp up the skin beautifully and give them a little grill char.

20221011-172507.jpg

Then I basted them with a 50/50 blend of these two things for a bit and let the heat cook that on...

960098612-A1C1

The sweet chili wing sauce is syrupy like a glaze to stick to the chicken, and the hot chili paste gives it a big heat kick, so you get a sweet and spicy chili sauce that sticks to the chicken.

20221011-173936.jpg

Honestly, I just kind of pulled the whole idea out of my ass. I rarely improvise something without a recipe, but this turned out amazing and I will be doing it regularly. Taking a few minutes to debone them makes them so much easier to eat and enjoy, makes sure they cook evenly and all the way through, and makes them easier to sear without burning.

20221011-174259.jpg
That looks delicious. Thanks for the post!

20221011-170132.jpg

20221011-172507.jpg

960098612-A1C1

20221011-173936.jpg

20221011-174259.jpg

You probably couldn't find sambal oelek because you live OTP (need my man RRR to chime in)

Now try gochujang as a marinade.....so much better.

I was going to suggest not being a poor and just ask your personal chef to whip it up from scratch using citrus from your own orchard, but….now I just want to be sad for you and wish you well with your soon to be diagnosed diabeetus and being single & lonely because your idea of treating your lady is sending her out early in the morning to stand in line and buy something racist called “Trader Mings.”

• Haha
I was going to suggest not being a poor and just ask your personal chef to whip it up from scratch using citrus from your own orchard, but….now I just want to be sad for you and wish you well with your soon to be diagnosed diabeetus and being single & lonely because your idea of treating your lady is sending her out early in the morning to stand in line and buy something racist called “Trader Mings.”
Now, this, this here is a winning post. Not only is your avatar cool but your words are melodious. Sadly, living in Iowa, the last time citrus grew here was probably 70 million years ago when it was an inland sea. More sadly, citrus trees didn't exist back then. I will try to make it by myself. Doesn't seem complicated.

ADVERTISEMENT