ADVERTISEMENT

"Train through a meet"

Sett1997

HR Legend
Nov 27, 2004
What does it mean to train through a meet.
I've seen this phrase mentioned many times, I never got to the level of wrestling to experience it or maybe they didn't have such a thing in the seventies. Lol

It means hard practices and possibly weight lifting with no regards to an upcoming competition. Can peak by taking it easy, light drilling until weight is down.

I always trained through matches I should win and usually won them. Sometimes I wonder if I would’ve had better luck with the tougher matches if I trained through them.

Reactions: crablegs1
What does it mean to train through a meet.
I've seen this phrase mentioned many times, I never got to the level of wrestling to experience it or maybe they didn't have such a thing in the seventies. Lol

Gable had a system for peaking that incorporated training phases and for a lack of better term, resting phases. The whole season is really mapped out from preseason to nationals. For example, post xmas is a pretty intense training phase. Back on campus right after xmas, freshman are put up in a hotel and the entire break is training (two a days, throw in a 3 a day here and there). It's physically brutal. Sometimes meets fall during or coming out of specific training phases. Best example is when Lugo beat Sorensen. One of the biggest reasons coaches hated the National duals was the timing of it. Before B10 is a another pretty hard core training phase with 2 a day practices. Not when you really want to be wrestling a dual. Brandon and many others were simply exhausted. Tom was not going to alter the practice schedule for that dual. Last night did not look like a tired team. The Indiana dual looked like a tired team.

Gable had a system for peaking that incorporated training phases and for a lack of better term, resting phases. The whole season is really mapped out from preseason to nationals. For example, post xmas is a pretty intense training phase. Back on campus right after xmas, freshman are put up in a hotel and the entire break is training (two a days, throw in a 3 a day here and there). It's physically brutal. Sometimes meets fall during or coming out of specific training phases. Best example is when Lugo beat Sorensen. One of the biggest reasons coaches hated the National duals was the timing of it. Before B10 is a another pretty hard core training phase with 2 a day practices. Not when you really want to be wrestling a dual. Brandon and many others were simply exhausted. Tom was not going to alter the practice schedule for that dual. Last night did not look like a tired team. The Indiana dual looked like a tired team.
This is great stuff!

Believe Gable had a habit of calling those red flag days..very intense workouts meant to push you past what you believe you were capable of.

I don’t think so - think they definitely trained through IU. But guys have bad meets here and there

ADVERTISEMENT