ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer-mania

Question: Can a player in the portal remove his name, and stay at his original school, no questions asked? Or does the original school have to "accept" him back?

In some instances, a kid in high school makes his college decision based on sports, then realizes there is more to life (especially when pro ball is not in the cards) and wants to transfer for a better school experience/fit. I feel bad for those kids if they can't find a home.

I agree with you though that many are likely transferring simply for basketball reasons and it could really bite them when they are left standing without a chair when the music stops and they no longer have a free ride.
I'm not sure of all the particulars, but just because they enter the portal doesn't mean they're gone. And as far as I know, when you're offered a DI scholarship that isn't a year to year thing, at least for the full ride sports, so unless you really screw up you've got a 4 year scholarship? I really don't know, it's more complicated than ever with the transfer portal and Covid in the mix. Coach gets fired you can transfer without penalty, etc. Lot to chew on if you're not part of that process.

The original school is under no obligation to honor that player’s scholarship once he enters the portal.
That definitely makes sense, would be a real bear waiting around to fill your roster if your portal players decide to stay after several months of searching. Better be damn sure you're wanted elsewhere.

In some instances, a kid in high school makes his college decision based on sports, then realizes there is more to life (especially when pro ball is not in the cards) and wants to transfer for a better school experience/fit. I feel bad for those kids if they can't find a home.

I agree with you though that many are likely transferring simply for basketball reasons and it could really bite them when they are left standing without a chair when the music stops and they no longer have a free ride.
If I were one of those kids, I'd be looking for an Ivy League school. You can't beat a free world class education that will certainly put you on top of the resume piles when applying to jobs.

If I were one of those kids, I'd be looking for an Ivy League school. You can't beat a free world class education that will certainly put you on top of the resume piles when applying to jobs.
The Ivy League doesn't give athletic scholarships. Financial aid packages can be generous, though, depending upon a family's income, a student-athlete's academic record, and eligibility for other designated scholarships. There are other top universities offering athlethic scholarships that would provide similar educational/career opportunities. One such school is Rice University, which has recently signed a couple of grad transfers.

The Ivy League doesn't give athletic scholarships. Financial aid packages can be generous, though, depending upon a family's income, a student-athlete's academic record, and eligibility for other designated scholarships. There are other top universities offering athlethic scholarships that would provide similar educational/career opportunities. One such school is Rice University, which has recently signed a couple of grad transfers.
Actually, the Ivy League doesn't offer academic scholarships either. Everything is based on financial need.

They may not be called athletic scholarships, but the players education is paid for.

I guess I'm old fashioned. I simply don't understand this transfer portal garbage. 1200 players???? I'll be interested in how many of these guys wind up being left high and dry (I'm betting 25%). Sure the top players (Robbins of course in that class) can pick and choose. But most of the guys I'm seeing.. some of these guys may have just thrown away their free ride. But I agree that this will change the landscape of college basketball (and football probably). I'm not convinced this is a good thing at all.
As I said, I could see this really cooling off in a year or two. And I think your 25% number is on the light side. Once a bunch of these kids are left with no chair when the music stops for a year or two, I'll bet it slows down some.....

ISU just released an off-season workout video and Foster is in it plenty

The challenge with Foster is finding a way to light a fire under him. If someone can do that and he's healthy, he could be a helluva player.

Seeing a few guys returning to their school--particularly Indiana with Thompson, Lander and Geronimo all returning if 247 sports is accurate.

The "middle/lower tier" teams, and like it or not, we're one of them, are going to be killed if this stays the way it is. The guys who have good seasons will be able to jump to a bigger name team for exposure, or at least shop to do it. Have a great season at Vanderbilt? See if Kentucky or Kansas or Gonzaga want you for next year.

IMHO it's crap. But then again, why should there be any consequences for anything anymore.....(yes, I know; GOML).
The new transfer rules coupled with NIL (if it comes to pass) could make for a terrible situation. Bluebloods with national appeal could set up big advertising gigs and entice the best players to transfer.

I'm not too worried about high school recruits because the best guys already go to those blueblood schools. But if a guy develops like Garza, he may get more lucrative opportunities at schools that have more marketability, even national reach in some cases. It could be hard for some schools to hang on to guys that develop into all-conference or all-American players.

I hate to see relaxed transfer rules and allowing players to profit from NIL at the same time.

As I said, I could see this really cooling off in a year or two. And I think your 25% number is on the light side. Once a bunch of these kids are left with no chair when the music stops for a year or two, I'll bet it slows down some.....
Are there any statistics that reflect the % of kids this happens to?

Stanford is the place I always think of in this regard. If I had a son or daughter good enough to get a full ride offer there, that one would be at the top of my list. Highly regarded school with multiple high profile alumni in numerous fields. Would be an outstanding network to be hooked into.

NCAA is approaching NBA bad as far as players moving around. Who follows a horrible model?

Are there any statistics that reflect the % of kids this happens to?
Not that I've seen specifically, but I've read numerous articles saying that alot of these guys are finding out once they enter the portal that they have no where to go, and their old school does not have to keep them. It only makes sense if you look at the numbers. Around 5500 D1 players and something like 1400 players in the portal. Thats about 25% of all the players in D1. Then you have all the incoming freshman already committed. Now because of the virus, these schools may have some wiggle room this year, but still not nearly enough. Future years if they were anything like this one, and there is simply no way that many kids could change schools. There will always be a spot for some kids who have burst on the scene, (say Keegan as an example, heaven forbid), but a lot of these guys are looking for greener pastures of have simply overvalued their own skills, and probably are no where near as appealing to other schools as they think they are.

Reactions: 24 so far
ADVERTISEMENT