ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Portal Article

And? If they started at a power 5 school their scholly is guaranteed, so they can just take their name out of the portal. No mention in the article what percent of those are actually receiving scholarships. How does this number differ from other years? Just a poorly written article, with zero research done on the writers behalf.

Yeesh, tough crowd...

I thought the article was interesting for the numbers alone (126 QBs in the portal), particularly with the extra year putting the squeeze on kids.

We saw Shudak shop around to some degree last year, and end up staying (for a bonus year to boot). I don't even recall if all the Iowa guys who put their names in this fall have found homes yet.

FWIW, the scholarship is 'guaranteed' against athletic performance only.. quitting a team - especially midseason - is grounds for revoking (or not renewing) a scholly, though it would be entirely up to the coach in that case.

No idea why anybody would go into the portal this year unless they were a guarantee. The bonus year and incoming freshman means a logjam of players. Too many players for the system to handle, to be honest.

NCAA made a mistake offering the bonus year of eligibility. The 2020-21 season is getting played anyway, though not perfect, but nothing has been perfect. Sounded like a great idea at the time until you figure out how many players are going to get their opportunities limited for the next several years recruiting cycles while this logjam works its way through the system. That decision just prolonged the pain for years for a lot of players.

No idea why anybody would go into the portal this year unless they were a guarantee. The bonus year and incoming freshman means a logjam of players. Too many players for the system to handle, to be honest.

NCAA made a mistake offering the bonus year of eligibility. The 2020-21 season is getting played anyway, though not perfect, but nothing has been perfect. Sounded like a great idea at the time until you figure out how many players are going to get their opportunities limited for the next several years recruiting cycles while this logjam works its way through the system. That decision just prolonged the pain for years for a lot of players.

ISU is kinda F -ed with all the seniors that came back for them. I get it they want to win the Big 12 this year, but in future years that will not help with recruiting.

And? If they started at a power 5 school their scholly is guaranteed, so they can just take their name out of the portal. No mention in the article what percent of those are actually receiving scholarships. How does this number differ from other years? Just a poorly written article, with zero research done on the writers behalf.
Once the name goes into the portal the Scholarship is no longer guaranteed.

Just doing the numbers for QBs in the portal and unsigned, 53 total, 40 were on scholarship with 13 walkons. So yep, the portal isn't field of dreams a lot of these players are lead to believe it is.

Reactions: just_somebody
None of what I'm about to say applies to grad transfers.

This is actually one of those little battlefields on what kind of population do we want to encourage; and in this case its a close call.

The ease of transfer and the frequency encourages transfers. That is reinforcing the personality trait of immediate or pretty damn prompt self gratification. We are all fellow travelers, and adults have the right to self gratification, especially on things like where they live, go to school, etc... Liberty interests are a pretty major part of American culture. The kids should have the right to fix a bad fit or transfer down for PT.

On the other hand, there is a real dearth of perseverance in our culture, especially among the young. Perseverance is a good social trait in general. It makes people less of a load on others. That is also a good social virtue to distill into young adults.

Then, kind of the tie breaker for me, the transferring player isn't just affecting himself. He's affecting the recruiting class at the original school. Other people may made some decisions based on the transfers original commitment.

Aa the portal shows, there are a lot of kids making bad decisions, whey they are still pretty young. How about a compromise. A player can transfer to a same division school but must sit out a year, unless the recruiting HC is gone before the recruit plays for the school.

None of what I'm about to say applies to grad transfers.

This is actually one of those little battlefields on what kind of population do we want to encourage; and in this case its a close call.

The ease of transfer and the frequency encourages transfers. That is reinforcing the personality trait of immediate or pretty damn prompt self gratification. We are all fellow travelers, and adults have the right to self gratification, especially on things like where they live, go to school, etc... Liberty interests are a pretty major part of American culture. The kids should have the right to fix a bad fit or transfer down for PT.

On the other hand, there is a real dearth of perseverance in our culture, especially among the young. Perseverance is a good social trait in general. It makes people less of a load on others. That is also a good social virtue to distill into young adults.

Then, kind of the tie breaker for me, the transferring player isn't just affecting himself. He's affecting the recruiting class at the original school. Other people may made some decisions based on the transfers original commitment.

Aa the portal shows, there are a lot of kids making bad decisions, whey they are still pretty young. How about a compromise. A player can transfer to a same division school but must sit out a year, unless the recruiting HC is gone before the recruit plays for the school.

meh let them transfer. been good enough for Iowa

The article is deceptive regarding number of QBs in the portal. There may have been 126 QBs enter the portal, but there aren't that many there now. For example, Rocky Lombardi committed to Northern Illinois two months ago.

Just doing the numbers for QBs in the portal and unsigned, 53 total, 40 were on scholarship with 13 walkons. So yep, the portal isn't field of dreams a lot of these players are lead to believe it is.

Maybe so, but given there is one "Chair" for that position, some guys may feel they have nothing to lose. Now one could argue your odds of playing due to injury might be better than rolling the dice hoping to get picked up by another team. I can understand the thought process, and taking that chance in the portal, at least at QB.

What I would really like to see are the number of scholarship holding players who enter the portal that are left high and dry. I suspect it is around 50% but someone would need to crunch those numbers.

And FCS is playing now so that doesn’t help them either.

I don’t feel sorry for them. Likely some pain is needed so future players realize it isn’t the answer all the time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT