ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Portal or JUCO............?????

MidwestHawk

Rookie
Nov 9, 2012
Why do people speak do much with getting players from the transfer portal. We used to dip our hands in the JUCO ranks.
And we've had success with these JUCO players. Does it really matter where we get immediate impact players from???? It's obvious we need skilled players on the offensive side of the ball. I would bet we get better quality players if we go after some of these JUCO kids.

Certainly they should be open to going anywhere to get players. Portal, JUCO, even overseas.
Any restriction that's not specifically about NCAA, B1G or institutional admission requirements is self-imposed by KF.
My suspicion, and it's only that, is that the self-imposed restrictions KF puts on what players he will consider bringing in limits the pool more than his B1G counterparts.

Whenever JUCO football players are mentioned, one of the first names I think of is Andre Tippett, the All-American DE that Hayden Fry snared. I like your thinking, OP. But I believe the offensive scheme would need a major overhaul before the players Iowa needs from the portal or the JUCO ranks would wander over to Iowa City.
Charlie Jones did, but after being criminally underutilized, he's now one of the nation's leading receivers for the fellas at Purdue. So even if they arrive, it's unlikely they'll stay.

The KF offense is where skill players go to die. For anyone who's paying attention, that's a tough sell.

This commnet is boring. It worked out well for Michigan State last year. Working out for Michigan, Purdue, USC, KSU...etc. Spot fixes are how to use the portal.
I agree.....using the portal or JUCO is short term fixes until they recruit a very good athlete out of high school who can come in and play after year 2.

why year 2, the top 5 teams have Fr that step in from day1.
BINGO!!!! We are NOT a top 5 team. Not even a top 10, 20 or 30. If I were to rank Iowa we'd be in the 40 to 50 range based on overall team performance. We might be slipping pending this weekends outcome. So, we are not going to get 4 star or better receivers to come to Iowa unless we can be a top 10 team year in and year out. Getting players from the Transfer Portal or JUCO ranks to better our roster must be addressed ASAP.

BINGO!!!! We are NOT a top 5 team. Not even a top 10, 20 or 30. If I were to rank Iowa we'd be in the 40 to 50 range based on overall team performance. We might be slipping pending this weekends outcome. So, we are not going to get 4 star or better receivers to come to Iowa unless we can be a top 10 team year in and year out. Getting players from the Transfer Portal or JUCO ranks to better our roster must be addressed ASAP.
WTF are you talking about? You do realize that Iowa currently has 2, 4* WR on the team right now, Brecht was a 5.7 and incoming Mota is a 5.7 borderline high 3*. It is entirely the scheme, but keep goign with this non-sense.

Iowa fairly consistently is a top 30 school.

A Top 30 school putting a 131 ranked offense onto the field. That doesn't sound right at all?!?! You'd think if our recruiting class and development of players we'd have at least a Top 50 offense. THANK YOU DEFENSE for carrying this team last 2 years.
I guess I’m not sure I follow your point. Their top 30 school but yes I agree the defense has absolutely carried this program. 67 - 27 the last 7+ years. Our biggest competitor just canned their coach for almost an identical record in that time.

Why do people speak do much with getting players from the transfer portal. We used to dip our hands in the JUCO ranks.
And we've had success with these JUCO players. Does it really matter where we get immediate impact players from???? It's obvious we need skilled players on the offensive side of the ball. I would bet we get better quality players if we go after some of these JUCO kids.
Iowa's last Heisman runner up was a JUCO transfer

Not sure if it's been brought up or not but my Michigan buddy told me tonight that he doubts Cade McNamara plays another down at Michigan. McCarthy has just been too good and McNamara is having surgery. He said he's not the most athletic guy but he's a winner and he's more athletic than what we currently have. Interesting I thought at least

I guess I’m not sure I follow your point. Their top 30 school but yes I agree the defense has absolutely carried this program. 67 - 27 the last 7+ years. Our biggest competitor just canned their coach for almost an identical record in that time.
Maybe their AD is better than ours and wants to try something different to win? You know colleges and Pro teams now day have what they call a "RUNNING" qb. What a novel idea!!!

good point, was thinking the same...we were fortunate to hold on to Daviyon Nixon (who 'Bama wanted). Even though we had 'an in' with him out of H.S., technically he as a Juco transfer that worked out very well...

I sure wish IOWA had won a NY6 game last year before the team went to sh&t this year. At least MSU shows that they're trying and adjusting to the times. Iowa not so much.

hmmmm, well except for this year of course…. I honestly can’t believe the dumb shit people say out loud!

good point, was thinking the same...we were fortunate to hold on to Daviyon Nixon (who 'Bama wanted). Even though we had 'an in' with him out of H.S., technically he as a Juco transfer that worked out very well...
Iowa still had a binding LOI(back when those actually meant something) so it was a little more than an in with Nixon

Jucos used to be more attractive because they were leaving in 2 years usually with 3 years left to play. The portal guys have been playing D-1 and you have a better idea of what you’re getting. Yanda’s re a rare find.

Jucos used to be more attractive because they were leaving in 2 years usually with 3 years left to play. The portal guys have been playing D-1 and you have a better idea of what you’re getting. Yanda’s re a rare find.
If you qualify out of high school you can actually leave after one semester and have 3-4 years of eligibility. Practices are where some players get noticed.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT