ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Portal

ObeseMuffins

HR MVP
Jan 7, 2007
Do Fran and the staff take a peek at the transfer portal this offseason? With our projected returning players we are a top 10-15 team. But would a transfer push us over the top into national championship contention? What kind of player would help with this?

Personally, I would take a strong rim protector that can back up Garza, give us 15-20 minutes, and shore up our help defense. An unproven Nunge coming back from an ACL injury is not the answer for me right now! Discuss!

Edit: Ah, yes. The lack of scholarships? Let's say hypothetically we can put the two sons as walk-on status.
One already will be. That will make 14 players - I seriously doubt that McC will be looking for more at this time or he will be losing players to the portal. He's just not normally that kind of coach.

Reactions: perryhawk
There is not a need for 15 scholarship worthy players on the team.

I would be shocked if Fran pursued a transfer this cycle. Unless its someone with Iowa ties (DJ Carton).
This. It would take a special case and that player would have to pursue Iowa, not vice versa, IMHO :).

Reactions: perryhawk
Edit: Ah, yes. The lack of scholarships? Let's say hypothetically we can put the two sons as walk-on status.
As has been discussed at length here, Pmac can't go off of scholorship, unless he leaves the team since he started on one. It seems that Cmac could potencially. Even then, I believe we're still one over. I'm sure Fran has this worked out, but It would take something shocking like a current starter leaving, and thats highly unlikely.

Reactions: ObeseMuffins
Guys, it's 7 months until the basketball season and I am bored out of my mind. Let's get creative. With the current makeup of our team - what kind of player would put us over the top?

Reactions: amahawk
One already will be. That will make 14 players - I seriously doubt that McC will be looking for more at this time or he will be losing players to the portal. He's just not normally that kind of coach.

This is true based on his tenure; however, it is also not normal that we will be a legit preseason championship/Final Four contender.

As long as we're playing "What if," I will put forth the following propositions: (1) Despite his declaration the "He's back!" Pemsl sees the writing on the wall and decides to transfer for his senior year to a mid-major where he sees himself getting more minutes (unlikely), (2) Patrick comes to the realization that his body will not allow him to play college basketball and hangs up the sneakers (somewhat less unlikely), and (3) DJ Carton decides he wants to play closer to home and asks for a spot at Iowa. He would have to redshirt, but this decision discourages Ulis and he asks for his release (highly unlikely).

Reactions: HoustonREDHawk
As has been discussed at length here, Pmac can't go off of scholorship, unless he leaves the team since he started on one. It seems that Cmac could potencially. Even then, I believe we're still one over. I'm sure Fran has this worked out, but It would take something shocking like a current starter leaving, and thats highly unlikely.

Pretty sure Patrick can if its voluntary. He cannot be forced to since he came in on a scholly.

Pretty sure Patrick can if its voluntary. He cannot be forced to since he came in on a scholly.
It was my understanding that they changed that rule after the McDermott deal, so that this loop hole was not available for skirting these scholorship limits. Is this not the case? I mean honestly if a player can voluntarily give up his ride and stay on the team, this opens up the possibility for any of these mil$$$ coaches to stash players above the limits, and simply pay the kids schooling under the table, NO?

Do Fran and the staff take a peek at the transfer portal this offseason? With our projected returning players we are a top 10-15 team. But would a transfer push us over the top into national championship contention? What kind of player would help with this?

Personally, I would take a strong rim protector that can back up Garza, give us 15-20 minutes, and shore up our help defense. An unproven Nunge coming back from an ACL injury is not the answer for me right now! Discuss!
That is a Priority. Luka may not be Back.AW type needed.Nunge maybe good but give him time.True Freshman takes time. Transfer Needed.

There is not a need for 15 scholarship worthy players on the team.

I would be shocked if Fran pursued a transfer this cycle. Unless its someone with Iowa ties (DJ Carton).
There were rumors that DJ attended a few Iowa games this winter while he was home, including the Iowa-Illinois game. I think there's a real possibility he looks to come back home. Not because he hates OSU but because he needs that stability.

What if he pays his way and redshirts next year a la Jarrod Uthoff?

There were rumors that DJ attended a few Iowa games this winter while he was home, including the Iowa-Illinois game. I think there's a real possibility he looks to come back home. Not because he hates OSU but because he needs that stability.

Why would you look to RS a PG that had his numbers as a true freshman at OSU? RS Toussaint and/or Ulis if someone in the back court needs to RS.

With Iowa's scholarship limit already exceeding the 13 limit and almost half of them guards, I highly doubt Carton transfers to Iowa. If the rumors are true that he isn't happy at Ohio St, There's plunty of other universities he can attend, Iowa St, Nebraska, Wisconsin, Illinois, Northwestern to name a few.
He spurned Iowa because of Iowa's guard situation to begin with, it hasn't changed, why would he reverse his position now, doesn't make sense. He'd get less playing time coming to Iowa.

With Iowa's scholarship limit already exceeding the 13 limit and almost half of them guards, I highly doubt Carton transfers to Iowa. If the rumors are true that he isn't happy at Ohio St. Iowa St, Nebraska, Wisconsin, Illinois, Northwestern to name a few.
He spurned Iowa because of Iowa's guard situation to begin with, it hasn't changed, why would he reverse his position now, doesn't make sense. He'd get less playing time coming to Iowa.

It seems unlikely that he didnt choose Iowa because he was concerned about playing time.

If he comes to Iowa, he is immediately the best guard on the roster (depending on if you consider Wieskamp a G or F).

The NCAA is going to increase number of scholarships available for teams for the next four years. Otherwise the players who graduate in 2021 and after are screwed.

It seems unlikely that he didnt choose Iowa because he was concerned about playing time.

If he comes to Iowa, he is immediately the best guard on the roster (depending on if you consider Wieskamp a G or F).

That's not how Fran works, he's loyal to his players and you know it. Just stop the Carton to Iowa BS. It's not going to happen no matter how much you'd like to see him at Iowa. When he moved on, Iowa moved on, get over it!

Reactions: hawk-i bob
That's not how Fran works, he's loyal to his players and you know it. Just stop the Carton to Iowa BS. It's not going to happen no matter how much you'd like to see him at Iowa. When he moved on, Iowa moved on, get over it!
I don’t see how it’s BS to talk about it. It doesn’t seem like anyone is insinuating it is likely to happen. I think it’s a lot more relevant than 90% of the other threads on here lately.

I don’t see how it’s BS to talk about it. It doesn’t seem like anyone is insinuating it is likely to happen. I think it’s a lot more relevant than 90% of the other threads on here lately.

I get it, he's a local player that has ties to the Quad Cities. It would have been great if he had picked Iowa right out of high school....we all agree on that. He didn't and went to Ohio St. Yes, it stings but Iowa moved on, they recruited Toussaint, Perkins, and Ulis in the mean time. Iowa has Connor, Bohannan, & Fredrick that takes a majority of minutes and if you add Wieskamp, a swing player that can play the guard position it's apparent that Iowa is loaded at the guard position. You can debate this topic till the cows come home. If you're content to keep it going be my guest.... it won't change a thing....

I get it, he's a local player that has ties to the Quad Cities. It would have been great if he had picked Iowa right out of high school....we all agree on that. He didn't and went to Ohio St. Yes, it stings but Iowa moved on, they recruited Toussaint, Perkins, and Ulis in the mean time. Iowa has Connor, Bohannan, & Fredrick that takes a majority of minutes and if you add Wieskamp, a swing player that can play the guard position it's apparent that Iowa is loaded at the guard position. You can debate this topic till the cows come home. If your content to keep it going be my guest.... it won't change a thing....

So as someone else pointed out, you must have been against taking Uthoff as a transfer? We recruited him out of HS and he chose not to come to Iowa.

Reactions: Fran-Con-2
I posted this in the Toussaint thread but maybe it bears repeating here?

For those who thought he seemed to improve through the year, in his last 10 games this year, Joe shot 100% from the line (10/10), 50% from the 3 (6/12), and 43% (18/42) from the floor. Pretty damn good! His A/TO ratio during that period was 29/22 which isn't bad for a freshman but it will have to improve to at least 2/1, hopefully 3/1. He will achieve that if he just eliminates most of the silly TOs.

Considering this and progress Toussaint made through the year, and that he has a very good work ethic, I don't really see a weakness at PG for the next couple of years. I think Toussaint may be the quickest PG in the B1G.

So as someone else pointed out, you must have been against taking Uthoff as a transfer? We recruited him out of HS and he chose not to come to Iowa.

Not at all, if he does decide to transfer to Iowa, I'd be tickled pink. He'd have to sit out a year and in the mean time who knows what might happen to Iowa's roster. I doubt he will but the landscape of college basketball is forever changing. I hope it works out for you.....

The NCAA is going to increase number of scholarships available for teams for the next four years. Otherwise the players who graduate in 2021 and after are screwed.

giphy.gif

It is a sticky wicket. How do you give Seniors an additional year of eligibility and not do the same for Underclassmen? The most fair thing is to allow additional scholarships for a period of time. One year would screw the 2021 class if they allow the underclassmen an additional year of eligibility each. Worse yet, it is a large financial hit for universities, many of which already charge students "activity fees", that pay for the athletic department.

Last edited:
Reactions: icwesthawk
I get it, he's a local player that has ties to the Quad Cities. It would have been great if he had picked Iowa right out of high school....we all agree on that. He didn't and went to Ohio St. Yes, it stings but Iowa moved on, they recruited Toussaint, Perkins, and Ulis in the mean time. Iowa has Connor, Bohannan, & Fredrick that takes a majority of minutes and if you add Wieskamp, a swing player that can play the guard position it's apparent that Iowa is loaded at the guard position. You can debate this topic till the cows come home. If you're content to keep it going be my guest.... it won't change a thing....

And if you decide to not debate it(doesn't appear the cows are coming home for you) be my guest, it also won't change a thing......

Reactions: Fran-Con-2
Would Carton have to take a redshirt year or is he eligible for a hardship waiver? If he gets the hardship waiver, then I have a tough time seeing how Iowa can accept him. If he gets the RS year, then it may make more sense

Would Carton have to take a redshirt year or is he eligible for a hardship waiver? If he gets the hardship waiver, then I have a tough time seeing how Iowa can accept him. If he gets the RS year, then it may make more sense

I think he has a reasonable chance for a medical hardship waiver. Not to mention there is a potential NCAA regulation to be voted upon this summer, I believe, that allows each athlete the ability to transfer once in their career without sitting a year.

I don’t see how you can not take a 5 star talent like that unless he’s a cancer in the locker room. I’m sure Fran would vette that.

Reactions: Hawki45
We have good guard depth now . . . but no guard on the roster with the kind of elite NBA-caliber upside that DJ has.

I don't see how the coaching staff doesn't bend over backwards to find a spot for this kid

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT