ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Portal

Hey now! Iowa should go after this guy

giphy.gif

Reactions: tWarnerHawk
I think he has a reasonable chance for a medical hardship waiver. Not to mention there is a potential NCAA regulation to be voted upon this summer, I believe, that allows each athlete the ability to transfer once in their career without sitting a year.

I don’t see how you can not take a 5 star talent like that unless he’s a cancer in the locker room. I’m sure Fran would vette that.
I think you have to take him also, but realizing that it may lead to the eventual transfer of guys like Ulis or Toussaint.

I want to see Iowa win and have the best talent possible, but know that Fran will tread lightly when it comes to bringing in outside players when he already has a great group together and committed.

But yes, Carton’s athleticism/defensive ability alone would make him incredibly difficult to turn away

I think you have to take him also, but realizing that it may lead to the eventual transfer of guys like Ulis or Toussaint.

I want to see Iowa win and have the best talent possible, but know that Fran will tread lightly when it comes to bringing in outside players when he already has a great group together and committed.

But yes, Carton’s athleticism/defensive ability alone would make him incredibly difficult to turn away

Yes, I would worry about Joe T and Ulis moving on - hopefully sell Joe T that he still would get some PT & improve his game while they have a legitimate shot at a Final Four next year that he could be part of. The following year frees up some with JBo graduating & maybe DJ going pro if he has a solid year. I would think Ulis would redshirt in that scenario.

I wouldn't blame Joe T from moving on though. He'd have plenty of options. He sure seems like he loves being a Hawk and is a team player from what I can tell.

Reactions: unoHawkeye
The NCAA is going to increase number of scholarships available for teams for the next four years. Otherwise the players who graduate in 2021 and after are screwed.
This is false. They are not doing this for winter sports.

This is a really tough call, at least in my opinion. He's obviously a very talented kid, and would clearly come in and make a difference right away. And I also think he would be granted the waiver and be eligible right away. However, that would mean that either Touissant or Uhlis would be gone. I can't imagine Uhlis would come when you've got a 4 star kid transferring in that would for sure be the starting pt guard plus you have a guy like Touissant who already has a year up on you. Like others have said, Fran's very loyal to his guys, which is a great quality. There's only so much playing time, plus we have the probability of Bohannon coming back next year. In a lot of polls we're a top 10 already next year. Add a guy like Carton and make him eligible right away does that make us a championship contender?

Reactions: skydog0784
This is a really tough call, at least in my opinion. He's obviously a very talented kid, and would clearly come in and make a difference right away. And I also think he would be granted the waiver and be eligible right away. However, that would mean that either Touissant or Uhlis would be gone. I can't imagine Uhlis would come when you've got a 4 star kid transferring in that would for sure be the starting pt guard plus you have a guy like Touissant who already has a year up on you. Like others have said, Fran's very loyal to his guys, which is a great quality. There's only so much playing time, plus we have the probability of Bohannon coming back next year. In a lot of polls we're a top 10 already next year. Add a guy like Carton and make him eligible right away does that make us a championship contender?
Did Uhlis already sign? Can he just “not come” at this point?

Another thing about that I guess. We all know how weird Chicago recruiting is. Again, just total speculation, but if Carton comes and Uhlis then probably does not, does that kind of give us a black eye in the Chicago recruiting market? We obviously have to do what's best for the program and if a stud like Carton becomes available and Fran thinks he has to take him he will. Just a thought. Uhlis seems to have really come on and he looks like brings even more toughness and probably more of an offensive game than Joe. Will be interesting.

I would rather have Joe T for 3 more years than DJ for 1.

I’d rather Luka Garza gets a stud PG for his senior year so teams can’t sag, and JoeW can lurk around the 3-pt line for Carton kick out passes.

Carton is a lot better than Toussaint in my view. But that’s just my view and I respect your opinion too. Of course we’d have DJ for three years no?

I’d rather Luka Garza gets a stud PG for his senior year so teams can’t sag, and JoeW can lurk around the 3-pt line for Carton kick out passes.

Carton is a lot better than Toussaint in my view. But that’s just my view and I respect your opinion too. Of course we’d have DJ for three years no?
I am not sure. I kind of think is if he is that good is he a one and done player?

If it came down to losing a player that already chose Iowa, I say hard pass. Nothing against carton but that wouldn’t be fair to the ones that picked iowa. Also, team chemistry is a trick thing.

I initially was all about Carton transferring but the more I think about it I’m not so sure.

I really don’t want to disrupt the team chemistry & Joe + Ahron status. He made his initial choice, so be it.

I have this bad feeling he MAY be a disruption to what looks to be several positive years ahead.

I was told Carton was coming to Iowa a few weeks ago. I didn’t post anything because the person that told me isn’t what I would call trustworthy. Who knows if it’s true or not. We will soon find out.
Maybe he meant Bettendorf.:)

Last edited:
Reactions: HIWILLE
Seems like a lot of interesting, but unfounded speculation. I already like next year's roster, if they get to play. I hope all of the players are following guidelines and staying virus free.

If Carton came, couldn't Uhlis, Josh, and Perkins redshirt? As we'd have backcourt of Jobo, CJF, Joe and Carton. CJF and Jobo could split the 2, Carton and Joe the PG. Garza Center, then Nunge, Connor, Murrays, Pat, and Wieskamp for the 3/4.

We have 9 returning scholarship players right, as we had 12 on scholarship this year?
Garza, Nunge, Pemsl, Pat, Connor, CJF, Jobo, Joe and Weezy.

We'd have 6 coming in. Losing Bakari, Kreiner, and Till. If we could drop Connor's, we'd still need 1. Can't imagine Pat or Pemsl would drop their scholly's.

Fran likes the 4 guard lineup. Carton coming in no way shape or from would be a negative. Ulis and Perkins redshirt, its pretty simple.

And if he comes and has to sit out a year, are we cool with that? He'd be taking JBo's spot

Let's all appreciate that we're arguing about our deep and talented team. Things were a lot different just several months ago.

Given that his last two choices beside OSU were supposedly MSU and Indiana, and given that he is likely eligible for a medical hardship waiver, and given that MSU just might be in the market for a PG having just lost a great one, I am betting that is where he winds up.

Given that his last two choices beside OSU were supposedly MSU and Indiana, and given that he is likely eligible for a medical hardship waiver, and given that MSU just might be in the market for a PG having just lost a great one, I am betting that is where he winds up.
'
Carton's final 3 were Indiana, OSU and Michigan.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT