ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer portal

I’m guessing nobody. Hope I’m wrong.

I’ve got to believe there’s a big coming in. Fran doesn’t usually like to fill a scholarship, just to fill a scholarship, but I don’t think he has much of a choice this time.

Reactions: MWardT
I'd be absolutely stunned if Fran doesn't pick up at least one big. I just can't see going into next year counting on JO for meaningful minutes as a back up.

I'd be absolutely stunned if Fran doesn't pick up at least one big. I just can't see going into next year counting on JO for meaningful minutes as a back up.

Have you been impressed by Fran's past Portal transfers? Other than Uthoff, a Cedar Rapids kid that got mad at Bo Ryan and returned home, I can only recall Bakari...and it became obvious after he played why he had been available.

I hope we don't have any donations to the Portal.

If Nunge and JO were fine with it, then Fran could look to Portal, but he hasn't shown himself to be much of a salesman on his program to Portal prospects in the past.

Iowa has enough returning talent to be competitive in B1G. Maybe .500 Ball. Fran was a genius to bring in the two Murray boys. Oregon kind of showed, you don't really need that many B1Gs.

Have you been impressed by Fran's past Portal transfers? Other than Uthoff, a Cedar Rapids kid that got mad at Bo Ryan and returned home, I can only recall Bakari...and it became obvious after he played why he had been available.

If Nunge and JO were fine with it, then Fran could look to Portal, but he hasn't shown himself to be much of a salesman on his program to Portal prospects in the past.

Iowa has enough returning talent to be competitive in B1G. Maybe .500 Ball. Fran was a genius to bring in the two Murray boys. Oregon kind of showed, you don't really need that many B1Gs.

No, I haven't actually. They've been pretty poor aside from Uthoff (who I think would have come to Iowa initially if Fran had been hired one year earlier).

Also, I meant to say too that I'd prefer a Graduate Transfer (unless a real solid transfer is available) to give us some valuable minutes next year while not tieing up a ride for the 2022 class. I didn't mention earlier though I concede.

We have the rides available for next year, I see little downside to bringing in a serviceable big man as a back up (or heaven forbid the primary if injury) to Nunge.

What have you seen that makes you feel comfortable going into next year with JO as the primary backup or the primary if an injury at the 5 spot?

Last edited:

To me, just being competitive is a losing mentality. The goal should always be win conference titles and play for national championships. Is it going to happen every year, no, but that's what the goal should be. .500 is average at best. Do you want average or do you want to strive for excellence?

Obviously it depends on who sticks around and who transfers in (or out) but I’m not seeing a .500 conference record next year. I see a lot of ugly basketball coming our way...

Oh no Fran is too proud to resort to the portal. He would rather his guys get their doors blown off by teams like Oregon than add some talent to make the team more competitive. If and this is a big "if" he went to the portal it would be for a Bakari Evelyn type guy who would be depth only not someone who would actually add value.

Here are a few interesting names I came across.

Jaylen Butz from Depaul is 6'9 / 205 and pretty athletic
Jamal Mashburn Jr. / slashing guard & good shooter who came on for MN
Faats Russell / like the name and his game
Teddy Allen --dude is a tumbleweed for sure but can flat out score
Al Durham--he can defend

Reactions: Moral
The difficult thing about going after transfers is determining if they will fit in with the current players. I would also want to know their reasons for transferring. Was it a bad fit for them, lack of playing time and etc. If the staff had a relationship with a player due to recruiting them but did not get them the first time, then they would probably be more willing to go after them.

Reactions: BBHawk
Oh no Fran is too proud to resort to the portal. He would rather his guys get their doors blown off by teams like Oregon than add some talent to make the team more competitive. If and this is a big "if" he went to the portal it would be for a Bakari Evelyn type guy who would be depth only not someone who would actually add value.

Here are a few interesting names I came across.

Jaylen Butz from Depaul is 6'9 / 205 and pretty athletic
Jamal Mashburn Jr. / slashing guard & good shooter who came on for MN
Faats Russell / like the name and his game
Teddy Allen --dude is a tumbleweed for sure but can flat out score
Al Durham--he can defend

I need some hooked on phonics because I read "Farts Russell."

Reactions: BBHawk
Obviously it depends on who sticks around and who transfers in (or out) but I’m not seeing a .500 conference record next year. I see a lot of ugly basketball coming our way...

I'm kind of in the same boat, but i think a lot of team are losing key players and will look very different. Taking freshmen out because no one know how they'll actually perform, I see Illinois, Michigan, Ohio St, Wisconsin all getting worse. Purdue is going to be top dog. Iowa could easily be above .500

I don't - if Nunge is able to fully recover..... Hawks will be much quicker at guard and defense should improve. I see no reason why Iowa can't finish upper half B10,....... top 5 with Nunge 100% and provided Weiskamp returns. Kris Murray could have an impact similar to Keegan's 1st year. Looking forward to see what Ulis and Toussaint van do at PG - both those guys can get dribble penetration unlike Bohannon.

I don't - if Nunge is able to fully recover..... Hawks will be much quicker at guard and defense should improve. I see no reason why Iowa can't finish upper half B10,....... top 5 with Nunge 100% and provided Weiskamp returns. Kris Murray could have an impact similar to Keegan's 1st year. Looking forward to see what Ulis and Toussaint van do at PG - both those guys can get dribble penetration unlike Bohannon.

to be clear my assumption is JW is gone

Next year is the most important for Fran. If he wants to build on his best year so far, or at the very least, maintain the momentum from this season and avoid a major setback, he will need a transfer. And coming off of this year, he has no excuse for not finding someone who can come in and start.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
With Luka gone, what does the offense look like? The focus will completely go away from the post. If Nunge does come back, he's really not shown that he's a back to the basket player.
Not that they won't ever have a guy post up. But, I'm anticipating something quite different on that end. Unless a transfer is brought in with a true post game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT