ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer portal

Employing transfers to bolster your roster is akin to drafting players to fill a needed spot in the NBA. Even the best teams are doing it. Iowa cannot turn their noses up at acquiring talent, no matter where it comes from. Every team in the B1G is looking to improve in any way they can. We cannot simply ignore an entire, large pool of talent.
Taking transfers is more like signing veteran players in NBA free agency. Taking high school guys you have to develop would be closer to drafting a player that also has to grow.

And in NBA free agency, the best players don’t go to a small market areas (which Iowa would be equivalent to). Small market teams rely on the draft (high school)

You’re right that the best schools are doing it now. And it’s not a coincidence that now Hoiberg has gone from Royce White to Teddy Allen. Iowa St is a similar “small market” school and their failure in pulling consistently good transfers has left them winless.

The supply of difference making transfers the past few years has been lower than the demand. There’s a lot of transfers this year so maybe this year might be the year, but I’m skeptical.

Not quite, that assumes that all teams havw bidding rights. There is no free agency in college hoops.
I'll give you Jordan and Drummond. But Howard and Adams certainly are more of an offensive threat. You can't discount their ability to pass the ball too. Cofi showed zero skill and or interest in doing that. Luca is nowhere near the athlete that Cofi is, but he can shoot. That is the number 1 asset the NBA is looking for.

Reactions: herkhatescy
This is crazy talk. Harrar is being pursued by at least 16 teams and Iowa is not one of them. Graves is not being pursued by Iowa and as far as I know Race Thompson and Iowa are not interested in each other. Unless I have missed the memo Robbins isn't in the transfer portal. There are almost 1,000 kids in the portal and unless Fran has a previous in with them one way or another, he will not be pursuing them.
Don't assume that if you are not reading about it nothing is happening. Probably less than half of activity is reported on and half of that is pure speculation. Iowa staff keeps things pretty close to the vest.

Don't assume that if you are not reading about it nothing is happening. Probably less than half of activity is reported on and half of that is pure speculation. Iowa staff keeps things pretty close to the vest.
Oh I know. I have no doubt Fran is kicking some tires.

Reactions: BBHawk
Philosophical question here hoop: if nothing comes from the tire kicking, did it really happen or matter at all?

Results (players in this case) are all that matter and if Fran comes in with another Bakari-level contributor, given the current glaring holes on this team, woof.

Reactions: 24 so far
With the announcement of Green leaving for ISU today and then this it makes you think Carter and Green didn't see eye to eye.

Wow, good catch. I had forgotten a few names. To be more specific, I am talking about grad transfers because I think there is at least a 10% chance Fran will look at them vs. 0% chance he takes a transfer with multiple years of eligibility. Totally forgot about Dale Jones. Dude was a physical specimen but had knee issues if memory serves.
Dale had all kinds of career destroying injuries. The last two Woodbury seasons would have been better had Dale stayed healthy. Big guy with a decent shot, good inside scoring and good around the basket. Would have been the perfect starter opposite Ute, like White was the year before.

Dale's example perfectly states the caution of expecting anything significant from Jack. Two injuries in two years.

Fran has said:
1.Has to be a player who brings something to the table the squad does not currently have
2.It has to be a good fit culturally
3.It has to be a player who won't be disruptive but will have a positive influence
4.There has to be a mutual interest

I think it is likely he would only bring in a one year grad transfer vs a regular transfer.

This is for discussion only, Fran and his staff has been labeled a developmental staff, correct.
During a players 4 years or more at Iowa, does a player improve by self improvement, gaining maturity as he ages, or from the coaching staff working with that player?
Here's a list of players from the last 11 years that have left their mark on Iowa basketball. Here's my question, did that player improve by Iowa's coaching staff, self improvement, or a combination of both.
I'm going to charry pick the first few players because we all know they excelled during their time at Iowa although my contention is they improved more from their own hard work and the maturation of said player. Please add your own observations, it might even enlighten mine.
Luka Garza, Aaron White, Devyn Marble, Jarred Uthoff, Peter Jok, Nicholas Baer, Ryan Kriener. You're also encouraged to add other players to this list if you feel I have left off deserving players.
Players that have had injuries during their time at Iowa: Dale Jones, Christian Williams, Jordan Bohannan. Add others as I've surely left off some.
Players that in my opinion just didn't improve exponentially, whether the fault of the player or of the staff: Last names only, Basabe, McCabe, Oglesby, Gesell, Woodbury, Clemmons, Uhl, Wagner, Ellingson, Moss, Pemsel , Fleming, Dailey. Here again this is my list and you can add or move players around as you deem fit.
The jest of this survey is to change my perception of Fran and his coaching staff and I'm asking you, who are in the know, to help me out with my knowledge of how players develop in the Iowa program.

I would take Jacob Young all day. Understand both Fran and Young probably have no interest.

We need a big and a penetrating shooting guard so bad. I’m sure this is far more complicated as we don’t know who is staying/going nor to potential transfers.

you bring in a transfer at a position someone else on your roster May jump in. Getting a big seems much easier as we have a true need and minutes to sell.
I could see Young transferring to Houston, where his dad played.

No disrespect to Frank, I'd love to see him added to the staff as a coach that can work with our bigs, but Iowa's need, is someone who can change the culture of Iowa basketball on the defensive end, without a coaching change I don't see that happening any time soon.

I wonder if he's related to Peter Jok.
OGC.7cfe2e0e848766dd8fc3f981bd77feab

Reactions: iahawks10
Current B1G transfer list:

• Illinois: None
  • Michigan: None
  • Ohio State: None
  • Iowa: Jack Nunge, Austin Ash
  • Purdue: Emmanuel Dowuona, Aaron Wheeler
  • Wisconsin: Nate Reuvers, Walt McGrory, Jospeh Hedstrom, Trevor Anderson
  • Rutgers: Jacob Young, Myles Johnson
  • Maryland: Connor Odom
  • Michigan St.: Rocket Watts, Jack Hoiberg
  • Indiana: Aljami Durham, Arman Franklin, Jordan Geronimo, Jacquez Henderson, Khristian Lander, Parker Stewart, Race Thompson
  • Penn St.: Jamari Wheeler (to Ohio St.), Trent Buttrick, John Harrar, Myreon Jones, Patrick Kelly, Seth Lundy, Kyle McCloskey
  • Northwestern: Miller Kopp
  • Minnesota: Marcus Carr, Matrice Mitchell, Sam Freeman, Jamal Mashburn Jr., Jarvis Omersa, Tre' Williams
  • Nebraska: Teddy Allen, Akoi Arop, Yvan Ouedraogo, Bret Porter, Elijah Wood

So far I haven't seen Iowa's name linked to any transfers but it is early. Still they should be on it. A kid they should reach out to is UMC's Brandom McKissick. Grad transfer guard who can defend and knock down the 3. Can play either guard spot.

First time I've looked at a transfer portal list... Seems like a TON of players exploring options. Guessing it's pretty normal.

I wonder what the stats are for percentage of players transferring after they enter the portal?

SIAP, I’ve seen this question posed by others recently but haven’t seen a definitive answer...

My take on the linked NCAA policy (which I think is current) is that undergrads for the 21-22 season have to sit next year unless granted a waiver (which they’ve become more lenient recently).

The immediate eligibility for all undergrads was for last year only due to COVID-19.

Needless to say, this severely limits our transfer options to graduate transfers or viable waiver cases for 21-22 help unless the NCAA changes the policy for this next year.

Can anyone confirm that is the current transfer policy or have any insight here?

https://www.ncaa.org/student-athletes/current/transfer-terms

SIAP, I’ve seen this question posed by others recently but haven’t seen a definitive answer...

My take on the linked NCAA policy (which I think is current) is that undergrads for the 21-22 season have to sit next year unless granted a waiver (which they’ve become more lenient recently).

The immediate eligibility for all undergrads was for last year only due to COVID-19.

Needless to say, this severely limits our transfer options to graduate transfers or viable waiver cases for 21-22 help unless the NCAA changes the policy for this next year.

Can anyone confirm that is the current transfer policy or have any insight here?

https://www.ncaa.org/student-athletes/current/transfer-terms

Sweet! Thanks walkthewalk...
Still to be voted on so who knows at this point. I wouldn’t count on them making a good decision. They’re the ones saying no in-person D1 recruiting through May 31 even though other divisions have had it for months and now the NCAA is letting thousands of fans at indoor tournaments, but no fans at outdoor cross country championships.

Reactions: skydog0784
I don't get the number who seem convinced that JoeT and Ulis can't be quality PGs. At this point, I just want an experienced post player, especially one who can defend the basket and get defensive rebounds. I thought we needed one before I knew Nunge was transferring. Now, unless Big O makes a miracle transformation, I think the Hawks desperately need a big transfer,

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT