ADVERTISEMENT

transfer portal

I’m not sure how healthy Brands was before Kemerer took back the reigns? JMO- he was undersized at 184 last year, but he looked alright @174, but may or may have been hampered by injury. At what point was he “competing with injury” and when was he flat done due to injury last year?
Yeah I think he would be best @ 165 but he didn’t seem undersized @ 174. I hope he’s healthy and wrestled like an aggressive 174 next year.
I don’t see Brands at 65. He was more competitive at 84 than I thought he would be. Clearly was giving up a lot of size.

Reactions: HIWILLE
I don’t see Brands at 65. He was more competitive at 84 than I thought he would be. Clearly was giving up a lot of size.
I don’t think he ends up 165 either with PK there. Whether 165 or 174 is best for NB is hard to say but I don’t think he beats PK at either weight so likely isn’t his decision to make. Agree on 184 where he was clearly undersized.

I’m not sure how healthy Brands was before Kemerer took back the reigns? JMO- he was undersized at 184 last year, but he looked alright @174, but may or may have been hampered by injury. At what point was he “competing with injury” and when was he flat done due to injury last year?
Yeah I think he would be best @ 165 but he didn’t seem undersized @ 174. I hope he’s healthy and wrestled like an aggressive 174 next year.
I view Nelson Brands as a larger version of Max Murin. He'll be better at 174 based on size alone, but he's a fringe AA unless he finds some more offense, which isn't likely at this stage of the game IMO.

I view Nelson Brands as a larger version of Max Murin. He'll be better at 174 based on size alone, but he's a fringe AA unless he finds some more offense, which isn't likely at this stage of the game IMO.
Agree. If his max weight was 178 then he is a 165 but not beating Kennedy. He has far exceeded his 90 something recruiting ranking but fringe AA seems likely. I think his physical style would be more effective at 165 than 174 because most 174 guys are cutting from 185-190.

I agree that 165 would be Nelson's ideal weight, but he isn't beating PK. I wonder how close him and Swafford will be at 174?

Desanto was a round of 12 guy as a true freshman and was a meltdown away from placing. He came to Iowa with everyone expecting him to place. Lugo was right there also before coming to Iowa and he really never made HUGE strides. Granted he was ranked 1 his last year, but being ranked and doing it are two different things. AKA the Bull.
Weird take on Lugo And ADS. Lugo lost the most when covid shut down 2020. I firmly believe he wins the national championship had they not shut the season down.

Imo Iowa should be open to any transfers except 125, 197 and HW.
149 should be on that list. Murin wrestled as well as anyone at the tourney. He lost to Yanni and then had a match up against Jon-Jon Smith which was just a tough match up. Murin All-Americans next year in my opinion, easily.

Reactions: Inthecircle
Sign me up as shocked Max fell short this year. He really looked better all year than his finish or his past. Iowa needs a bunch of these good, but put up or shut up guys, to step up next year. Maybe some transfers to push them for a spot is just what the doctor ordered. I remember the days of the underdog Iowa wrestler finding a way to upset the higher ranked guy. That has not been the case recently and we need to get to that place again imo.

Sign me up as shocked Max fell short this year. He really looked better all year than his finish or his past. Iowa needs a bunch of these good, but put up or shut up guys, to step up next year. Maybe some transfers to push them for a spot is just what the doctor ordered. I remember the days of the underdog Iowa wrestler finding a way to upset the higher ranked guy. That has not been the case recently and we need to get to that place again imo.

Warner was seeded 6th…made it to the finals.
A couple of other plucky underdogs? Desanto was seeded 5th this year. Spencer Lee was the 3 seed in his first two title runs. Not bad for a runner up coming out of high school.

screenshot-2020-01-30-091832.png

“I want to see 10 pushes and 5 head snaps before you take a shot.”
Gotta love Hoosers! :)

A couple of other plucky underdogs? Desanto was seeded 5th this year. Spencer Lee was the 3 seed in his first two title runs. Not bad for a runner up coming out of high school.
Warner did have a good run. I honestly loved his draw and hoped for Schultz in the quarters. AD as the 5 was a joke. Nobody not named RBY or Fix had beat him in two years. Lee as the "field" for 2 years was comical as well. I'm looking for the Murin's to go on a heater to the finals, or Abe to go on a run to take 5th. I realize we were banged up to put it mildly, but the upsets were few and far between this year. We seemed to win the matches we should win and lose the matches we should lose this year. I'm greedy and wanted the good guys to shock the world once and a while, or at least shock F*n St.!

This is one of those things where I’ll get raked over the coals if it doesn’t come to fruition, but who cares right?!

Cody Chittum. Young man was always supposed to be a Hawkeye…. Let’s hope he’s getting nudged by some folks that are a pretty damn good influence on him. Fingers crossed!
Work that magic Felters

Reactions: Gobblin
Crazy how clearly everybody remembers the "underperformances" yet never manage to remember or even notice the overperformances.

pretty sure flo actually did crunch the numbers a couple years ago and it did reveal a notable trend of underperformance

found it: https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/6746465-seeds-vs-placement-analyzing-20-years-of-ncaa-results
Really interesting. It's a rough proxy for "who peaks at NCAAs?"

You have to calculate only the specific years for specific coaches (e.g. Cael and Tom), but in that case the results are largely the same: Cael under-performed only 2 of his 9 years. Brands under-performed 7 of his 13 years. (Note that means Brands over-performed 6 of his 13 years--hardly a scathing indictment.)

Fun data tidbit #1: The biggest whiff was in 2009 by Iowa, coming in at -36, and they still won NCAAs that year. I'll take that every year.

Fun data tidbit #2: Eggum out-performed Cael in his 3 years as head coach at Minny. During that time he was out-performed only by Rob Koll and Mark Manning. Time to give Eggum and Manning fat raises :)

Maybe he would do well, but kinda don’t feel like he’s an upgrade over anyone we have. He’s definitely not as good as Henson for 141.

could be right. I definitely like henson at 141 but 149 is open after murin is gone. rathjen is good but wouldn’t hurt to have a little competition

could be right. I definitely like henson at 141 but 149 is open after murin is gone. rathjen is good but wouldn’t hurt to have a little competition
I get it, just seems like he’d be similar type of guy. Last thing we need is 4 guys all the same caliber at the same weight and none are high AA types.

Henson beat Hillegas in the PIAA final a couple of years ago, 4-3, I believe. Henson also got him in the WPIAL final, if my brain is accurate. Either way, Hillegas was a 2x PIAA champ and has a pretty good background. Someone who is a better talent evaluator would have to chime in on his progress at VT and his potential.

No flo account. Could you give a gist? Thanks.
That Penn state on average is much more likely to wrestle to their seed and above it, at NCAAs. While Iowa on average wrestles pretty significantly below their seed.
i just watched an episode on this when Askren brought out the numbers. It was like a ten year average or something. It was like a week before nationals.

Anthony Echemendia went into the portal which hasn’t garnered much news. What is his trajectory for the future?

ADVERTISEMENT