ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Rule change

Wasnt-drunk-didnt-troll

HR Heisman
Gold Member
Sep 11, 2017
https://www.landof10.com/iowa/gary-barta-ncaa-transfer-rules-academics-gpa

TL,DR: "they" are looking to change the transfer rule so that someone in good academic standing can transfer without consequence or fear of the prior school stopping scholarships.

My thoughts: great for Iowa. All those 2nd year 4 and 5 stars that thought they were going to set the world on fire at Blue blood u, who cannot get in front of the other studs, can now transfer and many would be talent upgrades for us. (Here is looking at you Oliver Martin)

I've never understood how schools offer 1 year scholarships and can renew or not. (or upgrade by offering multiple schollys over limit, see SEC) If not renewed the player still has to sit while transferring. This has never been fair. If the school doesn't renew the 1 year scholly, the student should be free to go when and where he/she wants. If the school gave a 4 year scholly, different story.

Reactions: pwhawk
I've never understood how schools offer 1 year scholarships and can renew or not. (or upgrade by offering multiple schollys over limit, see SEC) If not renewed the player still has to sit while transferring. This has never been fair. If the school doesn't renew the 1 year scholly, the student should be free to go when and where he/she wants. If the school gave a 4 year scholly, different story.
School's have to give 4 year scholarships I'm pretty sure. At least all of the Power 5 schools do

Other schools have done this for years. Iowa does it in baseball right now

https://www.landof10.com/iowa/gary-barta-ncaa-transfer-rules-academics-gpa

TL,DR: "they" are looking to change the transfer rule so that someone in good academic standing can transfer without consequence or fear of the prior school stopping scholarships.

My thoughts: great for Iowa. All those 2nd year 4 and 5 stars that thought they were going to set the world on fire at Blue blood u, who cannot get in front of the other studs, can now transfer and many would be talent upgrades for us. (Here is looking at you Oliver Martin)

It would be big if they didn't require a player to sit out a year if transferring. I will believe it when I see it. But the NCAA may be doing this to head of being sued by some player in court over it.

Giving players more freedom is likely a good thing.

Wrong answer
It would be big if they didn't require a player to sit out a year if transferring. I will believe it when I see it. But the NCAA may be doing this to head of being sued by some player in court over it.

Giving players more freedom is likely a good thing.
yes and no. Good if your coach leaves. Bad if you leave because you grow impatient as an underclassman. Also, I am fully aware of the 2015 rule. I also know it happens including on our own campus. I know firsthand

Going back to the original topic, I'm not a big fan of this at all. It's a rich-get-richer policy.

If Ohio State graduates its left tackle, they wouldn't have to develop a new young one... they can just cherry pick a new one from schools like Iowa with the promise of being a National Title contender.

Going back to the original topic, I'm not a big fan of this at all. It's a rich-get-richer policy.

If Ohio State graduates its left tackle, they wouldn't have to develop a new young one... they can just cherry pick a new one from schools like Iowa with the promise of being a National Title contender.

We are only speculating at this point but I believe the exact opposite will be true.
Let's use J. Jackson as an example. Going into your senior every team in the country would love to have you but you played your first three at Iowa. Do you go to a team that has a chance to win a natty or get paid? I don't think you are going to see alot of guys who can slightly Improve "Ohio State" but would be 3-5th rounders as Juniors move for two reasons. 1. That's alot of time invested by the staff to get a kid to move for 1 year when "Ohio state" can go get the next 5 star into the system for 4 years. 2. At this point the guys are 21ish, they are not as flakey as a 17 year old and they will have already been given 3 years by the staff.

I think it is much more likely the really good players that are playing behind great players will move. One concern will be the "5 stars" that thought they were owed being headaches but the staff seem good judges of charicter.

A really good example of this would be a guy like Oliver Martin. Really good player on a team of really good players.

Last edited:
You're right, it is speculation at this point, and I agree that in a Josh Jackson example you would still go to the pros.

But let's say for example Iowa is coming off a disappointing 4-8 season rather than an 8-5 season and had a freshman or sophomore cornerback from somewhere like Detroit who never got a scholarship offer from Michigan out of high school, but had an all-conference type of year for Iowa. With the frustrations of a disappointing season and a fresh new offer to be able to play right away at Michigan for the next 2 or 3 years, it would be easy to jump at that opportunity.

Also, I am fully aware of the 2015 rule. I also know it happens including on our own campus. I know firsthand

Firsthand? You're stating you had a four-year football scholarship and were forced to leave the team?

The schollies are actually contracts. Absolutely think the school should make the four year commitment in exchange for the services and compliance with school and team policies and the kid makes a four year commitment. It should be up to the student to decide if he stays or goes and then let the parties negotiate the terms under which the kid leaves.

If the parties cannot agree a quick arbitration and the school picks up all the costs, including the player's lawyer-even the playing field financially so to speak.

So, this new transfer rule sounds like it will be implemented June 2018. Would this mean that the teams restricted from some grads now would be lifted in June? For instance Jacob Park (ISU) restricted from Big12, Evan Shireffs (ACC), and Boyle (Big10).

You're right, it is speculation at this point, and I agree that in a Josh Jackson example you would still go to the pros.

But let's say for example Iowa is coming off a disappointing 4-8 season rather than an 8-5 season and had a freshman or sophomore cornerback from somewhere like Detroit who never got a scholarship offer from Michigan out of high school, but had an all-conference type of year for Iowa. With the frustrations of a disappointing season and a fresh new offer to be able to play right away at Michigan for the next 2 or 3 years, it would be easy to jump at that opportunity.

I don’t really have a problem with that scenario at all. If a guys not happy - he should be able to move on. The way we lock these guys into such an important decision they make as kids has never sat well with me.

Reactions: dbrocket
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT