ADVERTISEMENT

Trends among those who've had bad experiences....

Mr__Iowa

HB MVP
Aug 20, 2003
I've done some research and followed up on these things before. In a previous post I had ALL of the guys who came out and spoke about Iowa whether it be bad experience or those who have supported their teammates' bad experience. One thing that has really bothered me is the talk among those who have transferred (sour grapes and/or left because of mistreatment). They are the loudest, which I think you have to take into consideration regarding their motives. Likewise, it seems like some of the VERY loudest guys that HATED their experience...guys that WISHED THEY NEVER CAME TO IOWA, had little to no other choice. After watching Last Chance U Season 5 (and all the rest) it's hard not to see inside the looking glass of a college football program. Now, I completely understand that JUCO in comparison to Big 10 football (iowa recruited guys nonetheless) is like comparing apples to oranges. However, Lomax brought up a very ESSENTIAL piece to this.....a lot of these guys are coming from inner city, public schools with black coaches. It's a lot to ask them to fall into Iowa and completely adjust their lives. But the fact of the matter is....many of these guys (like Last Chance U guys) are looking for best offer/best conference/best NFL chance....and that was Iowa. It's when things weren't rosy, or didn't make the NFL, didn't start, didn't play is when all of the rest of their frustrations came out.

I'm not acknowledging Iowa behavior and fully feel that Doyle had to go....but I also support KF and do not feel like a wholesale change is needed.

Instead....dig. Dig into the recruiting process...where are most of our bad experiences coming from? Was it playing time? Was it a coaching change? Was it lies in recruiting? Was it just not a fit?

So....I broke down the loudest guys and looked at their other offers....in doing so, I see some trends....Take a look:

George Lewis (2000-2005): Pretty early, know he didn't have a Big 3 offer in Florida. Might have had other similar Iowa offers.
Fabian Dodd (2001-2002): Similar to Lewis I believe in that he might have had other offers, but no big ones in Florida. Academic casualty and not offered back.
**Believe they were recruited by Brett Bielema....really only FL guys who have spoke out.

Jermire Roberts (2002-2003): Was a top JUCO Safety. Probably had some other offers, but with JUCO, never know. He is one of very few JUCO guys we have recruited....keep in mind, this is erly in KF tenure.

Derrell Johnson Koulianos (2006-2010). West Virginia as a QB. Said he wanted to go to Ohio State....ok, but you didn't get the offer. Iowa as a WR was his top offer.
Diauntae Morrow
(2007-2008): Indiana, Illinois or Iowa.
LeBron Daniel (2007-2011). Chose Iowa over new staff (Dantonio) at Michigan State.
**Ohio guys...wanted big OSU offer, didn't get it, went with Iowa. Daniel has been DJK's biggest advocate on social media.
***All Ohio guys that were very close. Seems like they wanted more, didn't get it, did well at IOWA but looking back they would have chosen differently (had they had different offers). Still....IOWA was best option for them at the time.

Terrence Pryor (2009-2012): Iowa Walk on. No other options.

Kevonte Martin Manley: (2010-2014): Was a Bowling Green commit.
Ruben Lile (2011-2013). Wisconsin or Toledo. Committed w teammate Laron Taylor.
Laron Taylor (2012-2013): Cincinnati, Indiana, Western Michigan. Committed w/Lile.
**Michigan guys recruited by Soup Campbell. Been mostly vocal about Soup losing job being replaced by a white guy. Lost the black voice within coaching staff.

Damien Bullock: (2011-2014): Only D1 offer, recruited by Darrell Wilson.
Jordan Canzieri: (2011-2015): Iowa over east coast Villanova, UCONN.
Darian Cooper: (2011-2016): Iowa over Michigan State.
Maurice Fleming (2012-2015): Indiana, Minnesota, MAC.
Jaleel Johnson (2012-2016): Michigan State/Wiscy...roommate and good friend w/Fleming.
Anthony Gair (2012-2016): Arizona or Stanford.
Faith Ekakitie (2012-2016): Boston College, NW, GTech, Oregon.
Academic guys that seems agitated about lack of entrepreneurial push from college.
**Chicagoland guys recruited by Lester Erb. Erb was then replaced by Chris White who went into East coast.
Reggie Spearman (2013-2014) Illinois, Syracuse.
Malik Rucker (2013-2014): looked at Texas Tech late. Mid level Big 10 offers.
Jonathon Parker (2013-2016). Previously commited to Tulsa.
Derrick Mitchell Jr (2013-2016). Nebraska, Cincy, Indy, ISU
Akrum Wadley (2013-2017). Committed to Temple.
Terrence Harris (2014-2016). UMASS, Fl Atlantic, W Mich
Marcel Joly (2014-2017): Maryland, Temple, Vandy. Tight w/Nico Law/Lomax. Big Chris White guy.
Emmanuel Rugamba (2016-2017). Illinois, BC, ISU, Pitt, Indy.
Cedric Boswell (2016-2017) MAC schools...ended up in MAC
Brandon Simon (2016-2018). BC, Syracuse

**Chicagoland guys took a hit from an experience standpoint....Fleming, Johnson, Ekakitie, Spearman, Rugamba

**East Coast as well.

WOW.......RB room was toxic....Bullock, Canzieri, Parker, Mitchell, Wadley, Joly....ALL RBs, ALL under Chris White......AND we saw through texts White's thoughts about Iowa. Not only did Chris White not lead a very happy room, but look at his personal recruits:

Terrence Harris--left
Dillon Kidd--JUCO guy, recruited his position (P)
Mick Ellis--again, he recruited special teams---left
Adrian Falconer---left
Marcel Joly---left/pissed
Jameer Outsey--left
Devonte Young
Brandon Simon--left...BF/Washed up walkons said he was bad
CJ Hilliard--seemed like effort to get brother...left early
Omar Truitt--left
Miles Taylor,
Kyle Taylor--brother of Miles---left
Marcel Smith--left

YIKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HUGE NEGATIVE IMPACT ON PROGRAM....(as said by Drake Kulick)

Jayden McDonald (2018): Rutgers, WAC, MAC
DJ Johnson (2018-2019): Big time LSU offer.
Jack Kallenberger (2018-2019) : White...walkon.

One thing to keep in mind (AGAIN NOT CONDONING DOYLE)....
1) Ferentz came in and COMPLETELY changed the culture....Team mantra. No individuals...it's been spoken that many left.....I think this needs to be dug further....what did Kirk do early in tenure as far as team rules??? Have they changed??? When??
*My point...KF has been KF from the get go....unless certain experiences changed him (City boyz, DJK).

2) If Doyle was seen as a racist, this was passed down to every black player in the program. This is fixed into their mindset....every thing said was dissected as "is this racist". From G-Lew's hair to Terrence Pryor's "black guys don't like water." Now...looking at transfers, guys that have spoke out...their is a clear connection in the groups of guys, (ie Friends group).

As been mentioned....there were black and white tables....the conversations were very different and led to a level of thinking. As much as KF tried to subject their mind to the team first, conversations were being had in small groups that were anti S&C/anti Doyle. Once the dreams of these players are gone, many took to social media to voice disdain over those experiences. Essentially, the Black table conversations were now wide open for all to see.

Overall....we want to talk about KF conditioning the minds toward the IOWA WAY, how about better analyzing the conversations being had at the secluded table and how their minds were being conditioned in a much different way from the moment they arrived on campus.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News