ADVERTISEMENT

Trey Dickerson

He was out of control, couldn't shoot, and got lost on defense over and again.

He took a lot off the table when in the game; and, this was against OOC teams-- not the B1G!

I see what you are implying but if he was not a difference maker type player I'm happy to give the freshmen we have (will need) the minutes.

Iowa is fine without Dickerson. Something must of hapened between he and the coaches seeing some of the tweets he made last fall about how things were not going his way. He tweeted that he got kicked off I remember too, not sure what hapened though.

If Trey had been coachable, he would still be on the team. The kid has skills and potential. He just needs some good coaching that he will listen to... Too bad, he could have been needed next year.

Trey had potential. I remember the first couple games he looked a little out of control, then had a game where he seemed to look like he was starting to get it (can't remember which one).

man good pg's are hard to find nowadays

Reactions: jwardelt
During the Big Ten season Trey was barely getting minutes.
He approached McCaffery and asked for more playing time, as Jok had done in December and Clemmons had done as well.
Like Jok and Clemmons, McCaffery talked with him.
In each of the two previous conversations, as quoted by the players, McCaffery had explained what he needed to see out of them.
They did what was asked. And each did earn more minutes.
I don't know what was said between McCaffery and Dickerson.
But. It was right after that that Dickerson did not travel to Nebraska, we were told he was sick.
Right after that road trip, we were told Dickerson was transferring.
McCaffery made a statement that he would help Trey find a team, that Trey needed time to prepare (schoolwork).
Trey made a statement that he liked Iowa but had to do what was best for him.
Not long after, Trey tweeted, for a moment then deleted it, that he'd been kicked off the team for no reason.
Soon he announced he would attend South Dakota State.
This summer when asked on twitter if he was still headed to SDSU he replied he didn't know.
But after all, he did end up at SDSU.

Trey is a well traveled young man who hopefully has now found a place where he is comfortable. I don't believe Trey was run off. More like he couldn't find his way to fitting into the Iowa program which includes an expectation that point guards actually guard somebody on defense and run the point in a fashion that fits the offense. No coach is going to bat 100% when it comes to recruiting.

In five years, Fran has seen only three players transfer from Iowa. He booted off one player, Hubbard, before he ever wore an Iowa uniform. In my opinion, compared to other programs we have one here at Iowa that runs pretty well when it comes to retaining players.

As to the doom and gloom about a point guard in 2016/17? A year from now? Meager concerns compared to last year and concern that the program had "stalled" and/or how long should we give McCaffery?

Oh, and as to being kicked off the team? Yes, when you decide to transfer you don't get to be on the team anymore. And that is a pretty good reason. I would have thought Trey would understand that.

Reactions: WolfeHawk
Trey was a good kid and a talented kid. He had a lot of basketball skills. He did not have the ability or desire to learn the offense being taught. You simply cannot play if you do not run what the coach asks you to run. The coaches worked hard with Trey but the young man for whatever reason just could not get it. Trey is a freelancer, a run and gun guy. He doesn't operate well in half court sets. And you have to make some effort on defense.

Trey was brought in as an alternative to Clemmons, in case he would leave. However, something better happened and Clemmons decided to put his foot down and improved greatly last year. TD probably could have ended up playing a bit this year and been given the reins next year. But as his track record showed, he's not patient enough for that.

From what I remember:

Cully Payne - appeared to have lost his starting job after injury. Strong family history of transferring between he and his brother and sister, who all transferred high schools, colleges, and some more than once. No surprise, no big loss.

Hubbard - who knows what really happened here. What disappoints me is that he wasn't all that good at Morgan State. He put up some numbers, but the team was awful. Why did Fran stick his neck out so far for someone who was a pretty middling player?

Pat Ingram - simply not good enough to play much at this level. He could have eventually been a nice role player, but I can understand if he wasn't happy with that idea. No big loss.

Kyle Meyer - I can really see why the coaches liked him. Big body, skilled. I think it came down to coachability. He wanted to be a SF, but had the skills of a C. We could have used him now, but it just wasn't the right fit, and from what I understand he's still happy and on good terms with Iowa.

Dickerson - like everyone said, it looks like a coachability issue. I liked a lightning quick PG who could throw down monster dunks despite being about 5-10 at best. He just wasn't with the program. Also another serial transferrer.

I'm cool with this level of attrition. I'll bet that at least one of the Ellingson/Fleming/Moss/Hutton/Williams group leaves for playing time issues, and I'm cool with that too. As long as we aren't losing key contributors and can still rebuild, some attrition is OK.

I'm doing the DanL long answer thing, so I need to stop...

Reactions: KeyWest Tim
I know Ingram was rumored to have bounced around JUCO's a bit. Does anyone know if he landed at a 4 year school?

I thought so too, but I looked last year since I asked this question then as well and he wasn't there. Nor is he on the 2015-16 IUPUI roster.

Dickerson transferred to the University of South Dakota not SDSU.

A little background: USD is coached by Craig Smith, former top assistant to Miles at North Dakota State, Colorado State, and Nebraska. Smith was hired by USD prior to the start of the 2014 season.

Coach Smith hired Eric Peterson as an assistant. Peterson was formerly head coach at JUCO Williston State College. Dickerson played for Peterson at Williston State before signing with Iowa. As an assistant at Nebraska, Craig Smith was lead recruiter for Trey Dickerson in 2013-14.

By transferring to USD, Dickerson is reuniting with his former JUCO head coach (USD AC Peterson) and Nebraska contact (USD HC Smith). Both USD coaches have a close relationship with Trey and understand his background.

Its a win-win for all parties IMO. USD gets a good, potentially very good, PG where playing time will be immediately available in 2016. Dickerson joins a team where he knows the top coaches very well and will play in a system which he can thrive. Iowa opens a spot at PG for a player better fit to run McCaffery's offense.

A side note about USD HC Craig Smith. Smith is definitely a Tim Miles protégé. A very good recruiter and game coach, he a stickler for
players conforming to team rules which include preparation and practice, of course, but also academics and community involvement. His 1st year was marked by a huge turnover of the roster - he cleaned house of any player unwilling to buy into his system. Dickerson will need to buy-in also or he won't last long. I think having his former JUCO coach on staff will be good for him.

At the same time, Smith is known as being a player's coach. The Coyotes over-achieved in YR1 of the Smith era and expectations are rising. USD is building a new $68 million basketball arena to open at the start of the 2016 season. Smith has the feel of a big time coach. If he is able to win a Summit League title I think he will be a hot item for an open high D1 job.

http://www.goyotes.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=7987&path=mbball

Last edited:
Trey was brought in as an alternative to Clemmons, in case he would leave. However, something better happened and Clemmons decided to put his foot down and improved greatly last year. TD probably could have ended up playing a bit this year and been given the reins next year. But as his track record showed, he's not patient enough for that.
It's too bad because this scenario would probably have been best for him and his future. It wasn't apparently the auspices under which he was brought to Iowa. But he could have learned from Clemmons, stayed and worked on his game, and made a name for himself as a senior. Now we'll never know.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
It's too bad because this scenario would probably have been best for him and his future. It wasn't apparently the auspices under which he was brought to Iowa. But he could have learned from Clemmons, stayed and worked on his game, and made a name for himself as a senior. Now we'll never know.
Dickerson was fast, but didn't know how to effectively use that speed within Fran's system. Whether he would have ever become a good PG is something we can only speculate about.

I remember him tweeting about how he got kicked off a couple of days after he transferred. Something bad behind the scenes must have hapenned.

Thanks for the responses guys. It is odd that Fran went after him so hard to be our next PG, and it almost immediately imploded.

During the Big Ten season Trey was barely getting minutes.
He approached McCaffery and asked for more playing time, as Jok had done in December and Clemmons had done as well.
Like Jok and Clemmons, McCaffery talked with him.
In each of the two previous conversations, as quoted by the players, McCaffery had explained what he needed to see out of them.
They did what was asked. And each did earn more minutes.
I don't know what was said between McCaffery and Dickerson.
But. It was right after that that Dickerson did not travel to Nebraska, we were told he was sick.
Right after that road trip, we were told Dickerson was transferring.
McCaffery made a statement that he would help Trey find a team, that Trey needed time to prepare (schoolwork).
Trey made a statement that he liked Iowa but had to do what was best for him.
Not long after, Trey tweeted, for a moment then deleted it, that he'd been kicked off the team for no reason.
Soon he announced he would attend South Dakota State.
This summer when asked on twitter if he was still headed to SDSU he replied he didn't know.
But after all, he did end up at SDSU.

Trey is a well traveled young man who hopefully has now found a place where he is comfortable. I don't believe Trey was run off. More like he couldn't find his way to fitting into the Iowa program which includes an expectation that point guards actually guard somebody on defense and run the point in a fashion that fits the offense. No coach is going to bat 100% when it comes to recruiting.

In five years, Fran has seen only three players transfer from Iowa. He booted off one player, Hubbard, before he ever wore an Iowa uniform. In my opinion, compared to other programs we have one here at Iowa that runs pretty well when it comes to retaining players.

As to the doom and gloom about a point guard in 2016/17? A year from now? Meager concerns compared to last year and concern that the program had "stalled" and/or how long should we give McCaffery?

Oh, and as to being kicked off the team? Yes, when you decide to transfer you don't get to be on the team anymore. And that is a pretty good reason. I would have thought Trey would understand that.
DanL you are prolly one of my favorite posters keep it up, I've been mostly a board watcher for 6 years, so I have observed many, you are a dang good thing for this site.

Dickerson is solid proof that the JUCO route is always a crap shoot. Those kids are in a JUCO for a reason. He also played at a couple of HS/prep schools I think.

Cully Payne committed to three D1 schools and transferred to a fourth. Like that Peterson kid that left Iowa for Arkansas and then left Arkansas. The only transfer Hawks are going to miss is Kyle Meyer this season cuz no size in the middle once Woody is out.

ADVERTISEMENT