ADVERTISEMENT

Trick Plays

Sep 3, 2009
What are the odds that we will pull out some trick plays this week? We have kept it pretty vanilla this season so far, and this is probably our toughest remaining game of the season. We play a good, probably aggressive defense this week that will be looking for redemption. I think it would be a good idea to try another flea flicker or a quick out WR pass or something like that. They will be selling out to stop Canzeri, at least early on.

Not so much a trick play, but the fake end around we threw at Pitt seemed to open up the middle a bit. Haven't gone back to them since. I think those could be pretty effective.

I think Iowa is going to throw some stuff at they they haven't seen this year, but your classic "trick plays" given the tackles being gone, I just don't see. Obviously...you just never know though.

It wouldn't surpise me in the least Iowa goes power football...2/3 TE's for entire series or half. Max protect type stuff. VERY conservative.

well...that would be interesting. I just keep waiting for one of these trick plays to actually work. At some point, the stars will align and we will convert one of these 4th & Goals AND a trick play in the same game (or at least in the same month!).

I fully expect to see a flea flicker this week. Of course I watch a lot of football games that don't involve the Hawkeyes too.

A quick toss to the TE for a hook-and-lateral would be awesome against this quick reacting NW defense.

Spread formation quick slant-ins to Jerminic could break all the way at any time. I'd appreciate seeing several of those on Saturday. The line doesn't have to do anything. Snap, step, release. Boom. Think "7 gets 6" at MSU in 2009. Get inside position and it's off to the races.

We need GD and new KF to show up with some new wrinkles and a wide open playbook. Give the kids a chance and they'll find a way.

With the way we have been running the ball and stopping the run, I don't expect any trick plays.

A lot of people are talking about "new" Ferentz, but "old" Ferentz won a lot of games in vanilla fashion when he had teams that could run the ball and stop the run. I'm not necessarily endorsing that methodology, but I think when push comes to shove, and Ferentz will resort to his conservative nature. I think this year's team is good enough that if we win the turnover battle, we should expect to win every game on our schedule. In the past few years we have been outmatched in games where the turnover battle did not matter (e.g., the bowl game, last year's debacle at Minnesota, Wisconsin two years ago, most of the 2012 season).

Additionally, with a good portion of our offense sitting the game out, I don't think Kirk will want to try to execute trick plays with backups - especially after the lateral involving Mitchell that was fumbled and turned over. In a close game, a play like that could bury us.

What are the odds that we will pull out some trick plays this week? We have kept it pretty vanilla this season so far, and this is probably our toughest remaining game of the season. We play a good, probably aggressive defense this week that will be looking for redemption. I think it would be a good idea to try another flea flicker or a quick out WR pass or something like that. They will be selling out to stop Canzeri, at least early on.

I guess you missed the play before half at ISU?

"Trick" plays are no more difficult to execute than anything else. Many of the top teams in college and even the NFL rely on trick plays to change momentum and, often, to help win games that might otherwise be lost. Anybody who is on the field is capable of executing any football play imaginable. High school teams use trick plays, and the execution is usually excellent. Games like Wisconsin and Illinois and NW are when trick plays are needed most.

There's nothing any more dangerous about a trick play than any other play. Call it at the right time and execute it, just like a dive or a sweep or anything else.

We've seen teams from all over the country run trick plays already this year that have helped them win games. If there is a New KF, he would be well advised to try a few tomorrow: hook-and-lateral, flea flicker, halfback pass, throwback to the QB (which Hayden ran for a TD against Minny back in the day, BTW). An aggressive defense like NW's is an easy target for trickeration. Call it, Execute it. And it'll work.

No guts nor glory. Nothing ventured nothing gained. This is what we've been complaining about with Old KF for years. The greatest risk of all is trying to avoid risk. And KF has the record in close games to prove it.

"Trick" plays are no more difficult to execute than anything else. Many of the top teams in college and even the NFL rely on trick plays to change momentum and, often, to help win games that might otherwise be lost. Anybody who is on the field is capable of executing any football play imaginable. High school teams use trick plays, and the execution is usually excellent. Games like Wisconsin and Illinois and NW are when trick plays are needed most.

There's nothing any more dangerous about a trick play than any other play. Call it at the right time and execute it, just like a dive or a sweep or anything else.

We've seen teams from all over the country run trick plays already this year that have helped them win games. If there is a New KF, he would be well advised to try a few tomorrow: hook-and-lateral, flea flicker, halfback pass, throwback to the QB (which Hayden ran for a TD against Minny back in the day, BTW). An aggressive defense like NW's is an easy target for trickeration. Call it, Execute it. And it'll work.

"There's nothing any more dangerous about a trick play than any other play"? Really? In suggesting the "flea flicker, the halfback pass, throwback to the QB", you have position players handling the football in ways they are not used to -- running backs pitching the ball, wide receivers pitching the ball, and a non-quarterback throwing the football. Putting players in unfamiliar positions often creates mistakes.

I wouldn't mind seeing a wrinkle this week to loosen up the Cat defense but such a play certainly does not come without risks.

Hey, 2bagger22, you do know that they practice those trick plays, right? So a "trick" play is no more of a risk than any other play. If the players involved can't perform ANY play, then it shouldn't be run.
Again, a play is a play is a play. Ask Stanford and UCLA (see above).

Hey, 2bagger22, you do know that they practice those trick plays, right? So a "trick" play is no more of a risk than any other play. If the players involved can't perform ANY play, then it shouldn't be run.
Again, a play is a play is a play. Ask Stanford and UCLA (see above).

So having a wide receiver throw the football isn't any riskier than a deep ball thrown by Beathard because "they practice" that trick play? Got it.

As long as we don't do a reverse or end around to a WR and have him throw it. We see how that worked for Illinois last week and ISU earlier in the year which was bailed out by a penalty.

Do QBs ever throw interceptions? Did North Texas throw a halfback pass for a TD against Iowa? Did Stanford successfully run trick plays against mighty UCLA? Did Boise State build its program around trick plays? And on and on and on....

Buy a clue, fellas, and then you'll have one. :)

Do QBs ever throw interceptions? Did North Texas throw a halfback pass for a TD against Iowa? Did Stanford successfully run trick plays against mighty UCLA? Did Boise State build its program around trick plays? And on and on and on....

Buy a clue, fellas, and then you'll have one. :)

Nobody is saying that we should never run trick plays. All people are saying is that trick plays are inherently more risky than regular plays, and I don't see why you are debating that point.

Do you acknowledge that the offensive practices a standard power-I rush more than they practice a flea-flicker or a WR pass? Yes, I am sure Iowa practices trick plays - I assume every team does. However, there is a finite amount of practice time available and every rationale coach is only going to devote a fraction of such time to trick plays that may only be ran once a year.

With risk also comes reward. The fact that you cite big gains/touchdowns that came from trick plays supports the argument that trick plays are inherently more risky than standard. If they weren't riskier, then everyone would do them regularly.

You might discount the risk more than others, and therefore you would support running more trick plays, however, you still have to acknowledge the fact that having your WR throw a pass is riskier than your QB. If you don't concede that point, then you're just not interested in having a rational discussion.

Reactions: 2bagger22
I think Iowa is going to throw some stuff at they they haven't seen this year, but your classic "trick plays" given the tackles being gone, I just don't see. Obviously...you just never know though.

It wouldn't surpise me in the least Iowa goes power football...2/3 TE's for entire series or half. Max protect type stuff. VERY conservative.

This. If Iowa gets any sort of lead we will see a lot of this.

Nobody is saying that we should never run trick plays. All people are saying is that trick plays are inherently more risky than regular plays, and I don't see why you are debating that point.

Do you acknowledge that the offensive practices a standard power-I rush more than they practice a flea-flicker or a WR pass? Yes, I am sure Iowa practices trick plays - I assume every team does. However, there is a finite amount of practice time available and every rationale coach is only going to devote a fraction of such time to trick plays that may only be ran once a year.

With risk also comes reward. The fact that you cite big gains/touchdowns that came from trick plays supports the argument that trick plays are inherently more risky than standard. If they weren't riskier, then everyone would do them regularly.

You might discount the risk more than others, and therefore you would support running more trick plays, however, you still have to acknowledge the fact that having your WR throw a pass is riskier than your QB. If you don't concede that point, then you're just not interested in having a rational discussion.

Spelled out perfectly. Can a trick play get you six points? Sure can. Is it risky? Hell, yes.

Tell it to Stanford, Boise State, TCU, Baylor and all the other teams who routinely take advantage of trick plays that have you and KF scared to death. Poor you. Oh yah, and tell it to Hayden Fry. Tell it to Urban Meyer.

Why does KF have such a poor record in close games? Cuz he plays scared. Trick play? Too risky. Playing scared and conservative gets you nowhere.

Hell, I'd settle for several quick slants against an aggressive defense like, say, NW. That would be pretty tricky coming from GD and KF.

Spin it however you want. Winners in every aspect of life, not just football, are those who take intelligent risks. Losers are afraid.

We've had 16 years to see how that works, and yet some of you still don't get it. Too bad for you.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT