ADVERTISEMENT

Tried to watch The Joker (2019 movie) last night

NDallasRuss

HR Legend
Dec 5, 2002
I've avoided seeing it, because I knew what it is. The daughter wanted to see if because she figured it was at least somewhat like other DC Comics superhero-type movies. I tried to warn her, but she wasn't listening.

We made it almost 15 minutes before she was done with it. Thank God - It really is just two hours of watching a guy with mental illness as his life gets shittier and shittier. It was terrible.

/csb

I've avoided seeing it, because I knew what it is. The daughter wanted to see if because she figured it was at least somewhat like other DC Comics superhero-type movies. I tried to warn her, but she wasn't listening.

We made it almost 15 minutes before she was done with it. Thank God - It really is just two hours of watching a guy with mental illness as his life gets shittier and shittier. It was terrible.

/csb

I heard that The Joker II is basically going to be Trump's autobiography.

Definitely not up on all my superhero movies.
I have a 4 yo boy, so I figure we'll get to see them all soon enough.

Does this movie even have Batman, or is it just a feature around the Joker?

Definitely not up on all my superhero movies.
I have a 4 yo boy, so I figure we'll get to see them all soon enough.

Does this movie even have Batman, or is it just a feature around the Joker?
It's supposed to be a different kind of "origin story" for the Joker. It's "different" all right. Basically they have the Joker as a mentally ill borderline homeless guy who just gets the crap kicked out of him by the whole world. At some point I guess he has enough and rage-kills someone, or something. I wasn't willing to wait around to see how shitty his life would get before he finally snapped.

I enjoyed it. Uncomfortable for sure, but the movie is a referendum on how society is culpable in creating monsters and breeding carnage. In essence, Gotham made the Joker. It is very similar to Taxi Driver’s take on the subject. The Joker movie includes Deniro to pay homage to that.
Yeah I really felt at times it was just a Taxi Driver's reimagining.

/csb

Easily your worst take, OP.

It’s okay. No ones perfect.

I enjoyed it. Uncomfortable for sure, but the movie is a referendum on how society is culpable in creating monsters and breeding carnage. In essence, Gotham made the Joker. It is very similar to Taxi Driver’s take on the subject. The Joker movie includes Deniro to pay homage to that.
Agreed. Joaquin Phoenix did a superb acting job.

I watched it again this past weekend.

I think the bulk of the movie is in the Jokers head as he sits in Arkham, unless the movie spanned many years as the counselor/social worker lady that he would see was aged significantly at the end of the movie compared to his meetings with her at the beginning.

I loved it. I'm not into the superhero genre of long, drawn out action scenes every 15 mins; and I knew going in that it was more of a dark character study rather than cgi explosions, so it was a welcomed change of pace. I also loved the darker, slower paced, and "realistic" Logan, over the previous Wolverine films. I would love to see a fat Thor/Deadpool buddy comedy with them just getting drunk, effing shit up, and into and out of all sorts of trouble, with minimal cgi, etc.

I loved it. I'm not into the superhero genre of long, drawn out action scenes every 15 mins; and I knew going in that it was more of a dark character study rather than cgi explosions, so it was a welcomed change of pace. I also loved the darker, slower paced, and "realistic" Logan, over the previous Wolverine films. I would love to see a fat Thor/Deadpool buddy comedy with them just getting drunk, effing shit up, and into and out of all sorts of trouble, with minimal cgi, etc.
Ryan Reynolds said that's the only way he's onboard for Deadpool 3 if it's a cheap fudged up version.

Reactions: PoopandBoogers
That's awesome. Hope it happens.
There was supposed to be an X Force movie that he was to help launch. Don't think he's supposed to be the focus though. After that he's out of Marvel's plans. Would be funny to have him in some random cameos in Marvel Universe. Hired thug number 4 or something.

I can see how the movie would be difficult for some people to watch. Especially if mental illness has hit close to home for you.

It is still a great movie though. Although, for me, "great movies" don't necessarily mean I want to watch them a lot. I thought DeNiro did an excellent job in this film as well, and he was really underated. I thought it was his best performance in several movies.

On a sidenote, I missed the last 5 minutes of the film because some drunk chick got in a fight with a couple of other people in the theater so...yeah.

/csb
I thought it was pretty good.

I’m a comic book nut. Every movie that is comic related I see. I buy comics by bulk, lol. I fvcking loved it. It’s one of the best movies I’ve seen. So different but so good. Phoenix absolutely nails it. It’s his swan song.

I’m a comic book nut. Every movie that is comic related I see. I buy comics by bulk, lol. I fvcking loved it. It’s one of the best movies I’ve seen. So different but so good. Phoenix absolutely nails it. It’s his swan song.
Cool story dude. 1/10

It was dark and it was good. Saw it opening night, watched it again on HBO a few days ago

tenor.gif

I could not agree more. It most certainly does not have the tone of other cookie cutter superhero films. I am not a comic book guy, and it is one of the best executed films I have seen in a long time.

I want you to think really hard on this one. I have been watching movies at an alarming rate since I was very young. I appreciate art of all types from carpentry to digital. I have never in my life seen a piece of art that was so powerful that police had to be stationed around it due to what it may evoke. I saw it in the theater, and 3 policemen were stationed in the theater all evening. Being there was "a moment"...you sensed something momentous was occurring. To say you have not watched it all, proceed to bash it, and dismiss it as a theme film...I'm sorry. It's ig'nant. Now, I don't think anyone needs to see it much less needs to like it or appreciate it, but there is maybe no other art in my lifetime that has achieved deserved critical acclaim AND have the ability to cause a riot.

As for Phoenix, to even take on the role after the exceptional work done by Ledger is straight insanity. But, he simply bettered it. He blew that role, as the picture called for, out of the ocean. It is one of the best character acting performances of modern time. His back is what sticks with me. I saw somewhere he contorted himself. If you haven't seen it, you can't contradict these thoughts anymore than I can Fried Green Tomatoes: the only movie I have ever walked out on. :cool:

In case it matters, I have no significant history of family or friends with serious mental illness to my knowledge. If I had (and for those that do), it may change someone's view, but it was as stunning to me in its ability to color how you perceive the world as Requiem for a Dream, and from me, that is high, high praise.

Lastly, it was an uncomfortable watch for sure, and I not only didn't laugh once but can't recall even smiling during it. Comedy is hard to write and hard to convey well, but anyone can like comedy. To like a film that makes you feel terrible and hopeless for a moment and do it so well that you love it is an achievement that cannot be overlooked. And, I am a very optimistic guy. There is probably an agenda to it if one wants to get into that in the way Avatar did. But, the performance, the woven fabric of so many elements...it is the gold standard for the superhero origin story.

Last edited:
I can see how the movie would be difficult for some people to watch. Especially if mental illness has hit close to home for you.

It is still a great movie though. Although, for me, "great movies" don't necessarily mean I want to watch them a lot. I thought DeNiro did an excellent job in this film as well, and he was really underated. I thought it was his best performance in several movies.

On a sidenote, I missed the last 5 minutes of the film because some drunk chick got in a fight with a couple of other people in the theater so...yeah.

it’s one of those movies where I recognize it was a very well made film,it just didn’t work for me. Had this just been about a random guy I think I’d have liked it more. I didn’t enjoy an origin story for the Joker that tried to make me feel sorry for him. His comic book, tv, film and animated portrayals have always been as an agent of chaos, who does bad things just for the sake of it. Having a sympathetic origin story didn’t work for me. Also, having the Joker be roughly 20 years older than Bruce Wayne bothered me also.

it’s one of those movies where I recognize it was a very well made film,it just didn’t work for me. Had this just been about a random guy I think I’d have liked it more. I didn’t enjoy an origin story for the Joker that tried to make me feel sorry for him. His comic book, tv, film and animated portrayals have always been as an agent of chaos, who does bad things just for the sake of it. Having a sympathetic origin story didn’t work for me. Also, having the Joker be roughly 20 years older than Bruce Wayne bothered me also.

I find that trying to think through any continuity in DC Comics is a quick way to make yourself go cross-eyed and give yourself a migraine. It's a big part of the reason they have to blow up all of the comics every 4-7 years and reboot everything because they are so terrible at keeping everything straight.

I left the movie feeling terrible and icky as I deal with people with mental illness on a frequent basis. That being said, it was very well done and the acting was great. I have it recorded from free HBO over the weekend. I want to watch it again, and will. But I don't need that depressing stuff right now.

McLovin's Cartman is more up my alley right now. That or Charlie:

From the trailers it seems like a quality show, but just doesn’t interest me.

I watched part of the original Deadpool wanting to like it but turned it off early. Nothing witty or endearing about it. Just one unfunny smart ass line after another.

On the other hand, I enjoyed Hancock.

Reactions: torbee
Well if it helps you, Phoenix will not be “the joker”. There hasn’t been confirmation but most theories and leaks indicate Phoenix’s character will be the inspiration for who will eventually become the Joker. As of now there have been no leaks or rumors that a joker character will be in the new Batman film. Like you said, the events of The Joker take place with Bruce as a very young child. But you never know I guess.

Well if it helps you, Phoenix will not be “the joker”. There hasn’t been confirmation but most theories and leaks indicate Phoenix’s character will be the inspiration for who will eventually become the Joker. As of now there have been no leaks or rumors that a joker character will be in the new Batman film. Like you said, the events of The Joker take place with Bruce as a very young child. But you never know I guess.

That might bother me more, if this was just inspiration for”the” Joker. Either he was or he wasn’t.

I heard that The Joker II is basically going to be Trump's autobiography.
You wish. The Joker character in that movie is about as polar opposite as Trump's situation as you can get. Yeah, your mental illness reference is cute.

ADVERTISEMENT