ADVERTISEMENT

Tried to watch The Joker (2019 movie) last night

I honestly think Joaquin has to be somewhat crazy himself. No "normal" person could have pulled off what he did.

No doubt. Was thinking the same to myself watching the other night. I realize he’s acting, but he has to have a few screws loose. There’s no way you could portray that character like he did and not

Reactions: Jimmy McGill
It's a great movie. Really worth watching a couple of times to take it all in.

For me, it wasn't the plot. It was Phoenix's performance. Absolutely outstanding.

I honestly believe had the movie not been based in the DC universe I would have liked it a lot more. Like I said earlier, I have zero complaints about the quality of the movie itself. It's just that as someone who considers the Joker perhaps the best comic book villain, DC or Marvel, that this movie doesn't completely hit home for me.

Reactions: Rustys Dad
Don’t watch Uncut Gems then.

I liked it but it does a GREAT job of making you anxious and jittery as an audience member. The SBW bailed 20 minutes in.
Great call! I actually didn't see Uncut Gems for the same reason. From what I heard it was 2 hours of watching a gambling addict as his life deteriorates.

I recognize that these can be good movies, they're just not the kind of entertainment I'm interested in. I've got a finite amount of free time - I don't want to spend it feeling bad. Yeah, I admit that I'd prefer watching car chases, fighting superheroes, shootouts, explosions, etc.

I can see how the movie would be difficult for some people to watch. Especially if mental illness has hit close to home for you.

It is still a great movie though. Although, for me, "great movies" don't necessarily mean I want to watch them a lot. I thought DeNiro did an excellent job in this film as well, and he was really underated. I thought it was his best performance in several movies.

On a sidenote, I missed the last 5 minutes of the film because some drunk chick got in a fight with a couple of other people in the theater so...yeah.

was she hot ?

That might bother me more, if this was just inspiration for”the” Joker. Either he was or he wasn’t.
Uh ok, don’t what to tell you. He won’t be “the joker” in other movies, I feel very confident in that. Like someone else said, DC really doesn’t know what the fvck their doing. It’s pretty sad how badly they’ve fvcked up their properties on the Silver screen. Either way, from what I understand the young Bruce Wayne in the movie will be the Bruce Wayne in “The Batman” starring the vampire boy(sigh). There is no mention of the joker being a villain. The ending of the Joker makes it pretty clear that Phoenix’s character is an inspiration to the lower class and it’s implied that he has created many copycats of his actions(people dressing as clowns and causing mayhem). If this bothers you, gfy.

Lol, jk.

But seriously, gfy.

I honestly believe had the movie not been based in the DC universe I would have liked it a lot more. Like I said earlier, I have zero complaints about the quality of the movie itself. It's just that as someone who considers the Joker perhaps the best comic book villain, DC or Marvel, that this movie doesn't completely hit home for me.
Yeah, I was bummed when I learned this wasn't the movie I was expecting …

Uh ok, don’t what to tell you. He won’t be “the joker” in other movies, I feel very confident in that. Like someone else said, DC really doesn’t know what the fvck their doing. It’s pretty sad how badly they’ve fvcked up their properties on the Silver screen. Either way, from what I understand the young Bruce Wayne in the movie will be the Bruce Wayne in “The Batman” starring the vampire boy(sigh). There is no mention of the joker being a villain. The ending of the Joker makes it pretty clear that Phoenix’s character is an inspiration to the lower class and it’s implied that he has created many copycats of his actions(people dressing as clowns and causing mayhem). If this bothers you, gfy.

Lol, jk.

But seriously, gfy.

Phoenix's performance and what his character was in the movie wasn't what bothered me. Like I said, that was a great performance by him. It just doesn't jive with what I know of the Joker - insofar as "The" Joker who is Batman's archnemesis. The dichotomy between the two is that Batman is an agent for order and Joker is an agent for chaos.

I'm okay, potentially, with not necessarily having Joker in the next Batman movie - I haven't heard much in the way of details about it, save that DC is feeling the pressure to nail this movie. I'll reserve judgement on Pattinson as Bruce Wayne/Batman. I was also nervous about Affleck as Batman, and that worked better than I thought it would. Him and Cavill weren't the reasons Batman v Superman/Justice League weren't huge hits.

Phoenix's performance and what his character was in the movie wasn't what bothered me. Like I said, that was a great performance by him. It just doesn't jive with what I know of the Joker - insofar as "The" Joker who is Batman's archnemesis. The dichotomy between the two is that Batman is an agent for order and Joker is an agent for chaos.

I'm okay, potentially, with not necessarily having Joker in the next Batman movie - I haven't heard much in the way of details about it, save that DC is feeling the pressure to nail this movie. I'll reserve judgement on Pattinson as Bruce Wayne/Batman. I was also nervous about Affleck as Batman, and that worked better than I thought it would. Him and Cavill weren't the reasons Batman v Superman/Justice League weren't huge hits.

I found Affleck's Batman to be a refreshing change of pace. We have spent so much time seeing Batman as the young rookie just getting his feet wet, it was nice to see a Batman that focused on the grizzled veteran that he became as he got older. I don't think any of the actors were the issue. I think the problem is they wanted a Marvel Super Universe without doing any of the legwork that Marvel put in to build the world they ended up with. Avengers didn't work because of the characters in it, it worked because each of those characters got most of their character development in their own movies (or in other characters movies). I also think that, at least at the start of it, the marvel characters were not as well known so it was easier to make movies for them. You could tell the origin story and most of your audience wouldn't already know it. How many times has Superman's origin been told? Batman? Pretty sure that gets told in every DC movie, even if Batman isn't in it.

I found Affleck's Batman to be a refreshing change of pace. We have spent so much time seeing Batman as the young rookie just getting his feet wet, it was nice to see a Batman that focused on the grizzled veteran that he became as he got older. I don't think any of the actors were the issue. I think the problem is they wanted a Marvel Super Universe without doing any of the legwork that Marvel put in to build the world they ended up with. Avengers didn't work because of the characters in it, it worked because each of those characters got most of their character development in their own movies (or in other characters movies). I also think that, at least at the start of it, the marvel characters were not as well known so it was easier to make movies for them. You could tell the origin story and most of your audience wouldn't already know it. How many times has Superman's origin been told? Batman? Pretty sure that gets told in every DC movie, even if Batman isn't in it.

Agreed, the single biggest issue I had with Justice League (admittedly, I'm a little higher on it than most, still only a "C" movie tho), was that the whole movie felt rushed. DC clearly realized they dropped the ball with their DC Universe, especially compared to the success of Marvel. What's weird, and what I can't figure out why, is how they drew all of the wrong lessons from Marvel. The MCU was carefully planned out and they made sure to establish every character, have crossovers/references between the various movies. Justice League really should have done origin movies for Flash (I do like Ezra Miller in that role), and Cyborg especially. They also screwed up by having Batman v Superman feature Doomsday and Superman's death. That should have been saved for Justice League 2 or 3. It was a stupid move because it was so poorly executed and it was pointless because we all knew Justice League was coming, and there was zero chance Superman wouldn't be in it.

It is weird that DC has had far greater success on TV - particularly the Arrowverse on CW.

Reactions: BioHawk
Totally agree with this. I really like Affleck as Bruce Wayne. DC just saw marvels success and thought they could fast track it. They could not have fvcked it up worse. Batman and Superman are THE two most well known comic book characters and still they only managed to gross 700 million at the box office with both names attached. Oh well.

Great call! I actually didn't see Uncut Gems for the same reason. From what I heard it was 2 hours of watching a gambling addict as his life deteriorates.

I recognize that these can be good movies, they're just not the kind of entertainment I'm interested in. I've got a finite amount of free time - I don't want to spend it feeling bad. Yeah, I admit that I'd prefer watching car chases, fighting superheroes, shootouts, explosions, etc.

100% correct. I was uneasy the entire time I watched it.

Reactions: BioHawk
I could not agree more. It most certainly does not have the tone of other cookie cutter superhero films. I am not a comic book guy, and it is one of the best executed films I have seen in a long time.

I want you to think really hard on this one. I have been watching movies at an alarming rate since I was very young. I appreciate art of all types from carpentry to digital. I have never in my life seen a piece of art that was so powerful that police had to be stationed around it due to what it may evoke. I saw it in the theater, and 3 policemen were stationed in the theater all evening. Being there was "a moment"...you sensed something momentous was occurring. To say you have not watched it all, proceed to bash it, and dismiss it as a theme film...I'm sorry. It's ig'nant. Now, I don't think anyone needs to see it much less needs to like it or appreciate it, but there is maybe no other art in my lifetime that has achieved deserved critical acclaim AND have the ability to cause a riot.

As for Phoenix, to even take on the role after the exceptional work done by Ledger is straight insanity. But, he simply bettered it. He blew that role, as the picture called for, out of the ocean. It is one of the best character acting performances of modern time. His back is what sticks with me. I saw somewhere he contorted himself. If you haven't seen it, you can't contradict these thoughts anymore than I can Fried Green Tomatoes: the only movie I have ever walked out on. :cool:

In case it matters, I have no significant history of family or friends with serious mental illness to my knowledge. If I had (and for those that do), it may change someone's view, but it was as stunning to me in its ability to color how you perceive the world as Requiem for a Dream, and from me, that is high, high praise.

Lastly, it was an uncomfortable watch for sure, and I not only didn't laugh once but can't recall even smiling during it. Comedy is hard to write and hard to convey well, but anyone can like comedy. To like a film that makes you feel terrible and hopeless for a moment and do it so well that you love it is an achievement that cannot be overlooked. And, I am a very optimistic guy. There is probably an agenda to it if one wants to get into that in the way Avatar did. But, the performance, the woven fabric of so many elements...it is the gold standard for the superhero origin story.

Finally watched this. It was great. I agree with a lot what you said except I definitely laughed when the midget couldn't reach the door lock.

Reactions: HumbleP1e
I've avoided seeing it, because I knew what it is. The daughter wanted to see if because she figured it was at least somewhat like other DC Comics superhero-type movies. I tried to warn her, but she wasn't listening.

We made it almost 15 minutes before she was done with it. Thank God - It really is just two hours of watching a guy with mental illness as his life gets shittier and shittier. It was terrible.

/csb
Doesn't make it a bad movie. That's pretty much the plot of Taxi Driver.

Reactions: JupiterHawk
I also think that, at least at the start of it, the marvel characters were not as well known so it was easier to make movies for them.
Funny in that, outside of Batman, as a kid I never found the DC universe very interesting. Greatly preferred the Marvel characters.

Reactions: SigMaintHawk
Finally watched this. It was great. I agree with a lot what you said except I definitely laughed when the midget couldn't reach the door lock.
Amen, brotha. I don't know if I will ever watch it again, but it is cemented in the top strata of my viewing ratings.

Reactions: DooBi
Funny in that, outside of Batman, as a kid I never found the DC universe very interesting. Greatly preferred the Marvel characters.

Most people into comic books would probably say similar things. However, people who are not familiar with them have a much different perspective.

Most people into comic books would probably say similar things. However, people who are not familiar with them have a much different perspective.
Idk, I prefer the New Gods material more than most of Marvels stuff.

Interesting. What makes you say that? My generation had comics and Saturday cartoons. If I had to choose between Justice League and Spiderman on Sat. morning, it was Spidey all the way. Seemed like the Marvel supes were more relatable. Maybe that's why I liked Batman.

Interesting. What makes you say that? My generation had comics and Saturday cartoons. If I had to choose between Justice League and Spiderman on Sat. morning, it was Spidey all the way. Seemed like the Marvel supes were more relatable. Maybe that's why I liked Batman.

It's just my experience. Most people I know that grew up reading comics liked Marvel better, most people that didn't liked DC better, probably because DC was more prevalent in Saturday morning cartoons. Granted, I can't speak for the under 30 crowd, although what little experience I have is they are far more into things like pokemon and manga stuff.

Reactions: tarheelbybirth
Only if Korg was in it.
dVDJiez.gif

Reactions: FAUlty Gator
From the trailers it seems like a quality show, but just doesn’t interest me.

I watched part of the original Deadpool wanting to like it but turned it off early. Nothing witty or endearing about it. Just one unfunny smart ass line after another.

On the other hand, I enjoyed Hancock.
Well that explains a lot........;)

Reactions: Menace Sockeyes
I agree. I can recognize that the writing, acting and production levels were all great...and still hate it. And I agree, I hated this one. I don't watch movies to be depressed, I can turn on the news for that.

I thought the movie was great, however, I felt gross and depressed after watching it. I have it on TIVO to watch again and have waited 6 months to try to watch it again. Given our current state of affairs, I've chosen not to watch it again. It can wait.

Reactions: NDallasRuss
I've got a finite amount of free time - I don't want to spend it feeling bad. Yeah, I admit that I'd prefer watching car chases, fighting superheroes, shootouts, explosions, etc.
To each their own, and variety is the spice of life. I don’t have a preference between uplifting or dark. I want thoughtful, engaging, and with characters I can get engrossed in. What I don’t want is to waste my time and money on is mindless schlock that goes in and out like mental junk food-turned- diarrhea.

You can't legislate preference. I don't think people "should" like it or want to feel that way, but in addition to the "great" labels I've attached above, consider the risk of even making a movie like this or Requiem for a Dream. It intentionally goes against the whole cycle of test audiences. So, to even get into purchasing, it's got to be so good that it's "suck feeling" aspect won't kill its earning potential.

Seriously, this art is "marvel"ous. I may never experience another film that way again in my lifetime.

Marvel showed it could work with well known established characters as well. While it's true that Thor, Captain America, Dr Strange, Ant-Man, Iron Man, Black Panther and Captain America got origin stories as they're less well known, they didn't bother with origin story movies for Spider-man or the Hulk as they've already had origin movies. They just said here's Tom Holland as a pretty new and young Spider-Man and here's Mark Ruffalo as an experienced older Banner/Hulk.

ADVERTISEMENT