ADVERTISEMENT

Trillions of cicadas will emerge from 15 U.S. states after 17 years underground

When I was about five years old we had a big cicada year in Jacksonville. I started collecting the golden shells. At first I had a shoebox full. Then it became a grocery bag. Then I was filling up empty flower pots and dad's beer cooler with them. My parents loved that I had an interest in nature, so they couldn't bring themselves to tell me to stop it.

I wonder what the evolutionary advantage is to spending 17 years underground before emerging to mate and die.

Why 17 years?

I know that other cicada species have different year cycles, but what is the advantage to hiding underground for a number of years before maturing? Why are cycles more than one season (like most bugs) advantageous?

When I was about five years old we had a big cicada year in Jacksonville. I started collecting the golden shells. At first I had a shoebox full. Then it became a grocery bag. Then I was filling up empty flower pots and dad's beer cooler with them. My parents loved that I had an interest in nature, so they couldn't bring themselves to tell me to stop it.
cicada-shell-monster-1.jpg

Weird. We have them here in Houston but according to that map we don't? Or am I not understanding this map...?

According to the Texas Entomology, there are more than 40 species of locusts also called cicadas that call Texas home. ... "We do have some other cicada species, but they are not the 13- or 17-year cicadas."

There a lot of cicada broods, some are 17 year and some are 13 year. this year is Brood 10 a 17 year cicada and the dreaded Brood 13 will arrive in 2024.

According to the Texas Entomology, there are more than 40 species of locusts also called cicadas that call Texas home. ... "We do have some other cicada species, but they are not the 13- or 17-year cicadas."

Word. I will have to text my homeboy who is the director of mosquito control for Harris Co. He has a degree in entomology from TAMU.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Locust

EDIT: I just texted him. Let's see what he says.

EDIT 2: His response is "In Texas we call cicadas locusts but traditionally locusts are what everyone calls grasshoppers. Plagues of locusts are grasshoppers"

here-are-my-moths.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Fan In Black
Have any HROT posters experienced swarms of cicadas? I was just reading an article in the Chicago Tribune about the bugs emerging in Kickapoo State Park, which is by Danville. The story described a sheen to the sun dappled light filtering through the trees... Bug pee. I've been camping in that park, and I would pack up and head straight back home if the air was literally moist with cicada pee.

Reactions: win4jj
Nothing to report here in eastern Iowa.
It's not the year for our periodic broods, we'll only get the annual ones:

Iowans will see a limited emergence in 2024, but the next widespread emergence in Iowa will not be until 2031. In addition to Indiana, the 17-year cicada will emerge in Ohio, Kentucky, Tennessee, Pennsylvania and some coastal states. A detailed map is available online, and the insect will only appear in forests that have been undisturbed for centuries.

Reactions: win4jj
It's not the year for our periodic broods, we'll only get the annual ones:

Iowans will see a limited emergence in 2024, but the next widespread emergence in Iowa will not be until 2031. In addition to Indiana, the 17-year cicada will emerge in Ohio, Kentucky, Tennessee, Pennsylvania and some coastal states. A detailed map is available online, and the insect will only appear in forests that have been undisturbed for centuries.

Awesome. Thanks!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT