ADVERTISEMENT

Trip to Iowa

Sep 30, 2007
Several years ago, my family made a road trip out to Iowa City to watch the Hoosiers play the Hawkeyes! My father had earned his doctorate at the U of I, so this was, in part, a trip down memory lane.

Early on game-day morning we stopped at a Cracker Barrel in Davenport to get breakfast before going to the game. The five tickets were resting in a large envelope in the driver's side door pocket. While exiting the vehicle to go inside the restaurant, the envelope was somehow dislodged and it fell to the pavement just outside the car door--unbeknownst to us!

Fortunately, some "Good Samaritan" (i.e. Iowan) picked up the envelope and placed it on the windshield (with contents in tack) secured by a wiper blade. Needless to say, this selfless act made the trip even more special. Every time Indiana and Iowa play on the gridiron, I am reminded of this simple, but profound act of kindness!

Ironically, maybe five or eight years ago, I drove to Bloomington for the Hoosier-Hawkeye game. After a little tailgating, I could not locate the tickets I had left in the car. Dejectedly, I marched off to purchase two more tickets. As I stood in line at the ticket window, my friend told our story to a couple Indiana fans. They kindly offered us two free tickets which they had as extras! Very kind of them! (Mid-west nice goes both ways!) Most importantly, a final act of charity came on the last play of the game when a wide-open Hoosier receiver dropped what would have been a game winning TD pass in the end zone!!

Nice story Hoosier. I grew up in Iowa and have been the recipient of many acts of kindness by complete strangers. I have lived in Wisconsin for 30 years and I will say that Wisconsinites are good people as well aside from the fans in Madison on fall Saturdays.

Reactions: H4wkfan4life
Several years ago, my family made a road trip out to Iowa City to watch the Hoosiers play the Hawkeyes! My father had earned his doctorate at the U of I, so this was, in part, a trip down memory lane.

Early on game-day morning we stopped at a Cracker Barrel in Davenport to get breakfast before going to the game. The five tickets were resting in a large envelope in the driver's side door pocket. While exiting the vehicle to go inside the restaurant, the envelope was somehow dislodged and it fell to the pavement just outside the car door--unbeknownst to us!

Fortunately, some "Good Samaritan" (i.e. Iowan) picked up the envelope and placed it on the windshield (with contents in tack) secured by a wiper blade. Needless to say, this selfless act made the trip even more special. Every time Indiana and Iowa play on the gridiron, I am reminded of this simple, but profound act of kindness!
You are suppose to come here and say something rude, not something nice.
Don't you know anything about the interwebz! :D

Welcome to HR and good luck.....AFTER this weekend.

I traveled to Indiana to watch Iowa and Indiana play several years ago. Indiana outplayed Iowa the entire game but their receiver had the courtesy to drop the game winning touchdown pass in the endzone. I'll never forget that.

In all seriousness, playing Indiana always makes me nervous. Iowa doesn't match up well to their offense.

Reactions: rondy
I’m making my first trip to Bloomington this week for the game. Any advice on must dos? Parking?

Thanks for sharing your story. Cheers!

Thank you for sharing that good story. There really is so much goodness out there that I wish people would focus on instead of always feeling like "me against the world" or other divisive ideologies. Being good human beings to each other is so much more important than needless conflict.

Good human beings doesn't fill the 24-hour news cycle. Sadly.

Here is an experience from the opposite side of the spectrum, Went to Indiana for an Iowa game about 6 years ago. We shouldn't have but did leave our tailgate items in the lot when we left for the game. When we returned after the game, the items had been trashed and the Iowa flags had been stolen. Lesson was learned and always put your stuff away before you head into any stadium as there are a lot of punks roaming around in the lots.

Ironically, maybe five or eight years ago, I drove to Bloomington for the Hoosier-Hawkeye game. After a little tailgating, I could not locate the tickets I had left in the car. Dejectedly, I marched off to purchase two more tickets. As I stood in line at the ticket window, my friend told our story to a couple Indiana fans. They kindly offered us two free tickets which they had as extras! Very kind of them! (Mid-west nice goes both ways!) Most importantly, a final act of charity came on the last play of the game when a wide-open Hoosier receiver dropped what would have been a game winning TD pass in the end zone!!

Demarlo Belcher. To this day, I have no idea how he managed to drop that pass. Losing begets losing, I suppose.

Great story. Not surprised. ;)

We're nice. Perhaps you didn't know that. Here's a little more about Iowa.

I’m making my first trip to Bloomington this week for the game. Any advice on must dos? Parking?

Bloomington and the surrounding area are beautiful this time of year. Make a side-trip to Brown County (adjoins the county where Bloomington is located), which should be in full autumnal splendor! This rural county is busy this time of year and watch your speed (zero tolerance).

With a 11 am/12 am (Indiana time), there are several good breakfast spots (Uptown Cafe and Farm), which are right on Kirkwood just down from the main entrance to campus and about five minutes drive time from the stadium. Cafe Pizzeria is good for after the game (a hole in the wall but great pizza) or, likewise, Zagreb's Steak House.

I like the wooded grass lots to the immediate south of the stadium. However, the lots may sell out with homecoming.

Memorial Stadium is now fully enclosed, so it will be louder! Expect a crowd near sellout (52,000 seat capacity) of approximately 46 to 48,000. They now have metal detectors at each gate, so get to the stadium at least 45 minutes before kick-off. Love Big Ten games in October!

Safe travels.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT