ADVERTISEMENT

Tristan Wirfs not reporting to OTAs (Organized Team Activities). Seeks Long Term Deal

He is set to make $18,244,000 this upcoming season.

What he's earned so far:
2020.......$9,972,200
TOTAL:.....16,228,026

He is set to make $18,244,000 this upcoming season.

What he's earned so far:
2020.......$9,972,200
TOTAL:.....16,228,026
I can see where it would be hard to make ends meet, with those numbers.

• Haha
Reactions: GOHOX69
As a Bucs fan I hope they get this figured out soon.

If I were an OL-man, I would question why QBs get such a huge piece of the pie.

What you think about it:

* Without Tristan, players like Tom Brady don't stay upright

* QBs typically have much longer careers than OL-men; some of these QBs are earning well over a half billion by the time their career is over. OL-men, who help those QBs have those long careers, typically don't have similar years of playing time and their earning are a fraction of the QBs they protected.

Yes, players like Patrick Mahomes are worth a lot. But so are players like Tristan Wirfs.

Mahomes has earned $136.25M in 7 seasons. This season he will make $45.75M. In 2025 he'll make $50.00M. In 2026 he'll make $56.75M.

What you think about it:

* QBs typically have much longer careers than OL-men; some of these QBs are earning well over a half billion by the time their career is over. OL-men, who help those QBs have those long careers, typically don't have similar years of playing time and their earning are a fraction of the QBs they protected.

Yes, players like Patrick Mahomes are worth a lot. But so are players like Tristan Wirfs.

Mahomes has earned $136.25M in 7 seasons. This season he will make $45.75M. In 2025 he'll make $50.00M. In 2026 he'll make $56.75M.
Have Mahomes go out hurt and see how the Chiefs do. Great QBs are very rare and more of a direct impact on the W-Ls and have a much more higher profile with media and fans.

What you think about it:

I guess my answer (not intended to be flippant) would be because that is what the the market says in terms of supply and demand. With a salary cap you can get creative but there is only so much toothpaste in the tube every year. Given the scarcity of resources that every team is constrained with in the same way, this is how market has valued OL. My guess is that they figure OL are relatively more fungible than a QB and there is usually only one QB you are paying starter money, and that for OL you have to pay 5 starters and then their backups. Running backs are paid even less and drafted lower because they are even more fungible. So it is just a numbers game.

I guess my answer (not intended to be flippant) would be because that is what the the market says in terms of supply and demand. With a salary cap you can get creative but there is only so much toothpaste in the tube every year. Given the scarcity of resources that every team is constrained with in the same way, this is how market has valued OL. My guess is that they figure OL are relatively more fungible than a QB and there is usually only one QB you are paying starter money, and that for OL you have to pay 5 starters and then their backups. Running backs are paid even less and drafted lower because they are even more fungible. So it is just a numbers game.
I think he's top 5 oline in the league.

Like I said, it's great to be Patrick Mahomes. I just think that if you are an elite player, regardless of position, you should be paid just as well as Patrick. There's only 53 players on the team; I am surprised the non-QBs don't fight for a bigger share of the pie.

JMO....

Like I said, it's great to be Patrick Mahomes. I just think that if you are an elite player, regardless of position, you should be paid just as well as Patrick. There's only 53 players on the team; I am surprised the non-QBs don't fight for a bigger share of the pie.

JMO....
I'm not saying you are wrong. I just think it is largely a supply and demand issue. As great at Tristan is, if you can't resign him how much marginally worse is the cheaper replacement in terms of overall offensive production? Conversely, if you can't resign a top flight qb, how much marginally worse is the cheaper replacement in terms of overall offensive production? In the end it is an "it is what it is" thing. Different GMs value different positions differently and will pay them differently, but as a collective, there is an equilibrium point given the supply and demand of the market overall.

A look at the differences in pay as of May 13:

Quarterback

Highest three-year APY:

1. Joe Burrow, $62.9 million

Signed: September 2023 (contract ends in 2030)

2. Justin Herbert (LAC), $53.3 million
3. Jared Goff (DET), $53 million
4. Lamar Jackson (BAL), $52 million
5. Jalen Hurts (PHI), $51 million

Offensive tackle

Highest three-year APY:

1. Penei Sewell, $28 million

Signed: April 2024 (contract ends in 2029)

2. Laremy Tunsil (HOU), $25 million
3. Andrew Thomas (NYG), $24.2 million
4. Ronnie Stanley (BAL), $21.2 million

Tight end

Highest three-year APY:

1. Travis Kelce, $17.1 million

Signed: April 2024 (contract ends in 2025)

2. Darren Waller (NYG), $17 million
3. T.J. Hockenson (MIN), $16 million
4. George Kittle (SF), $15.3 million

I'm not saying you are wrong. I just think it is largely a supply and demand issue. As great at Tristan is, if you can't resign him how much marginally worse is the cheaper replacement in terms of overall offensive production? Conversely, if you can't resign a top flight qb, how much marginally worse is the cheaper replacement in terms of overall offensive production? In the end it is an "it is what it is" thing. Different GMs value different positions differently and will pay them differently, but as a collective, there is an equilibrium point given the supply and demand of the market overall.

At the same time, OL-men can argue that without them, the QBs can't do their thing.

If you are top 5 in your position, you should earn accordingly.

There are more non QBs in the players union (obviously); I am surprised they have allowed things to get so lopsided when it comes to pay.

Reactions: thunderstruck1
At the same time, OL-men can argue that without them, the QBs can't do their thing.

There are more non QBs in the players union (obviously); I am surprised they have allowed things to get so lopsided when it comes to pay.
By analogy, who is easier to replace, a surgeon or a nurse? You need more nurses than surgeons and you can be the best nurse in the world, but you will never make more than the best surgeon in the world. Supply and demand.

By analogy, who is easier to replace, a surgeon or a nurse? You need more nurses than surgeons and you can be the best nurse in the world, but you will never make more than the best surgeon in the world. Supply and demand.

Should Patrick Mahomes earn 3 times as much as Travis Kelce?

Should the best offensive tackle be paid $35M/year less than the best QB?

If I were an offensive lineman, I wouldn't accept it for "it is what it is."

Several Bucs starters are sitting OTAs out:
  • WR Mike Evans
  • LT Tristan Wirfs
  • LB Lavonte David (present, but not participating)
  • DT Vita Vea
  • DT William Gholston
  • OLB Randy Gregory

Last edited:
Reactions: Franisdaman
Should Patrick Mahomes earn 3 times as much as Travis Kelce?

Should the best offensive tackle be paid $35M/year less than the best QB?

If I were an offensive lineman, I wouldn't accept it for "it is what it is."
Yes and yes. Mahomes is priceless. Just look at what he did with a group of butter fingered receivers last season.

The n f l sets the salary cap. The n f l is making billions and billions and billions but does not want to divvy up the pie. So they put this glass ceiling on there that they tell you they have to stay below but it's not true, it's fictional.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
How many QB on a team? 2 or 3. How many linemen (or OT if you want a smaller number)? 4-6 maybe. How many plays does a QB have to know vs OT? How many decisions does a QB have to make in 2-3 seconds? Linemen don't come close to this.

Stop comparing QB’s and OL. Different galaxy’s. He is not trying to get paid what Patrick Mahommes is getting paid. He wants to get paid like a top 5 lineman in the NFL. Should be paid 25 mil to 28 mil. Good reason not to show up to OTA’S.

Stop comparing QB’s and OL. Different galaxy’s. He is not trying to get paid what Patrick Mahommes is getting paid. He wants to get paid like a top 5 lineman in the NFL. Should be paid 25 mil to 28 mil. Good reason not to show up to OTA’S.
It's pretty clear that in the NFL a superstar QB is far and away the most valuable asset that a team has.
Of course other positions have import as well. But they are significantly lower than starting QB.
Your comparator is someone who does the same job as you. For Wirfs that's the OT position group.

So trade Wirfs to the Chiefs and pay him, Kelce and Mahomes top position money. $45m each. That should leave plenty of money for the other 50 players……… 😜

It's pretty clear that in the NFL a superstar QB is far and away the most valuable asset that a team has.
Of course other positions have import as well. But they are significantly lower than starting QB.
Your comparator is someone who does the same job as you. For Wirfs that's the OT position group.
Beyond what you said, a good starting QB is the most important position in professional sports. It is that simple. I’m not saying a QB can do anything without the players around them, but an elite QB can positively influence a team towards a championship more than any other position in any other sport. Next closest is probably hockey goalie.

for one galaxy to work, you need a good offensive line

Source: Bucs' Tristan Wirfs to attend minicamp after OTA absence

i

Jenna Laine
ESPN Staff Writer
Jun 5, 2024, 12:21 PM ET

TAMPA, Fla. -- Tampa Bay Buccaneers All-Pro left tackle Tristan Wirfs, who has been absent from OTAs during contract negotiations, will be in attendance for the mandatory minicamp next week, a source told ESPN on Wednesday.

If Wirfs and his agent can't reach a new contract with the Bucs, he'll play under the fifth-year option in 2024 and earn $18.244 million. Because he's under contract at this time, should Wirfs decide to switch course and not participate in minicamp, the three-time Pro Bowler would be subject to a $101,716 fine for missing all three days.

To what degree he'll actually participate in the mandatory minicamp is unclear at this time. Wirfs could still attend without practicing, participating in classroom instruction and meetings, for instance.

Last year, inside linebacker Devin White, who was also slated to play under the fifth-year option, requested a trade over failed contract negotiations, but the Bucs did not grant his request and no new deal materialized. He signed a one-year deal worth $7.5 million with the Philadelphia Eagles this offseason.

The Bucs have been motivated, however, to lock Wirfs up long term, believing he's not only a cornerstone piece for the franchise but has the makings of a future Pro Football Hall of Famer.

"It was a big puzzle this year of how to fit it all in," general manager Jason Licht said of Wirfs after the team re-signed safety Antoine Winfield Jr. to an extension. "Hopefully we can finish this off."

Wirfs has been in the weight room and at the team facility this offseason. He was on hand for Mike Evans' and Baker Mayfield's contract extensions and greeted first-round draft pick Graham Barton on his first day at the facility.

"Those things have a way of sorting [themselves] out," coach Todd Bowles said Tuesday. "I don't worry about that right now. I understand it's the business part of it, and we'll go from there."

Added Mayfield: "When it comes down to Tristan, everybody knows he's a team guy. At a certain point, does he deserve to be paid? Absolutely. The guy's a stud."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT