ADVERTISEMENT

Tristian Wirfs measurables should help himstay at a tackle (better earnings and pick spot)

Jun 7, 2009
Iowa
Height : 6'4 and 7/8" (6'5") most NFL tackles are at minimum 6'4".
Arm length: 34" (Schreff, Buluga and Gallery were downgraded due to short arms.
Wingspan : 80 and 2/8 " = 6'8.25" Touch area control
Hands : 10 and 2/8" : Big Paw Control.

Sure, Tristian needs a 40 time better than 5.3 / more like 5.1. But the 3 cone agility test may be a better measure of quickness off the ball. Hope Tristian does well and stays among the top 20 picks. I still hope Miami trades out of #5 (No Tua -Goes to Lions) and get Raiders (Chucky wants a big gun passer) to trade their #12 and #19 for Herbert. Miami could then have 4 1st rounders. They need a pass rusher and Offensive linemen to improve their team. Miami has been bad for a long time. I consider it stupid to draft ahigh pick and high cost QB and not have the personnel around to protect his talents from injury. Personally, I'd hope for another high pick next year as Lawrence, Fields and Jamie Newman are likely to be the top 3 QBs in the 2021 draft.

Reactions: David1979
Wirfs is going to destroy the lifting portion of the combine. His measurables have always been good enough. Hoping that he falls to the 10 spot and the browns get him. He could be the next Joe Thomas.

Most Iowa tackles drafted in the past 20 years have ended up moving. Gallery, Yanda, and Scherff all moved inside and Bulaga moved from LT to RT. Reiff is only one to play LT in the league, and he has never been better than average.

I'm sure scouts have that in mind when projecting Tristan. Plus, they probably think he must not be that good because he didn't play LT, and the guy playing LT this year didn't play that well (because of injury, yes, but I'm sure that is part of the thinking).

The 34" arms are a big deal and the first step toward what I think will be a great combine that solidifies his top 10 status.

I feel confident Tristan will test in the following ranges. If he can be in the middle or better of all these, he'll raise his draft stock:
  • 40 yd: 4.95 to 5.05
  • 10 yd: 1.74 to 1.80
  • 20 ss: 4.40 to 4.70
  • 3-con: 7.40 to 7.80
  • Vert: 31 to 35
  • Broad: 107 to 115
I have no idea about the bench except that Iowa guys typically don't bench well but I don't think anyone has any doubts about Tristan's strength as applied on the field.

He's basically the same size as Scherff with more coordination and a tad bit more power. He's the most naturally gifted OL to come out of Iowa, probably ever. There is no injury history, and he just turned 21. After the combine, teams will realize that Tristan is a can't miss prospect. Most likely, he will he able to play tackle at a very high level. If that doesn't work, you can always move him inside and end up with 10 years of pro bowl level at guard.

Most Iowa tackles drafted in the past 20 years have ended up moving. Gallery, Yanda, and Scherff all moved inside and Bulaga moved from LT to RT. Reiff is only one to play LT in the league, and he has never been better than average.

I'm sure scouts have that in mind when projecting Tristan. Plus, they probably think he must not be that good because he didn't play LT, and the guy playing LT this year didn't play that well (because of injury, yes, but I'm sure that is part of the thinking).

The 34" arms are a big deal and the first step toward what I think will be a great combine that solidifies his top 10 status.

I feel confident Tristan will test in the following ranges. If he can be in the middle or better of all these, he'll raise his draft stock:
I have no idea about the bench except that Iowa guys typically don't bench well but I don't think anyone has any doubts about Tristan's strength as applied on the field.

He's basically the same size as Scherff with more coordination and a tad bit more power. He's the most naturally gifted OL to come out of Iowa, probably ever. There is no injury history, and he just turned 21. After the combine, teams will realize that Tristan is a can't miss prospect. Most likely, he will he able to play tackle at a very high level. If that doesn't work, you can always move him inside and end up with 10 years of pro bowl level at guard.
You sold me, where do I go to draft him? LOL

Wirfs is going to destroy the lifting portion of the combine. His measurables have always been good enough. Hoping that he falls to the 10 spot and the browns get him. He could be the next Joe Thomas.
Make me puke!! Then again, maybe he can go to the Browns and play ole with a few DEs and let them break the punk QB.

The main question for TW, is does he have that mean streak, the will to dominate? This is what guys like Schereff and Gallery had, and both won the Outland trophy. Yanda had it. Bulaga to a lesser extent, but he's been injured for much of his NFL career. TW has had his moments being dominate, but hasn't been consistent showing that. Some people have that, and some don't. Probably the biggest thing the scouts and GM's will try to dig out of him in his interviews, which may be even more important then his on field drills. They want to know if the young man has that IT.

Reactions: nattybumpo

I respect you (squeezebox), but the Browns are even worse than the Dolphins as an NFL organization. The Browns could not pour "rainwater" out of a boot without the directions on the heel. The original Browns are better off in Baltimore. Just praying our Iowa guys do well and get paid well for their talents. Go Hawks!

I respect you (squeezebox), but the Browns are even worse than the Dolphins as an NFL organization. The Browns could not pour "rainwater" out of a boot without the directions on the heel. The original Browns are better off in Baltimore. Just praying our Iowa guys do well and get paid well for their talents. Go Hawks!
They need a head coach that knows what the hell he is doing. If they would have just run the damn ball, they'd be fine. They have consistently produced some amazing tackles as well, Schwartz who they let walk in FA is a beast for the chiefs.

Latest CBS mock draft has him at 10 overall to the browns.. looking more and more like he’s gonna be a high draft choice..

I see the Browns trading for the Redskins LT Trent Williams as Baker needs a LT now, not two years from now. Browns can get Williams who wants out of the Redskins organization. Haskins needs a reboot as he lost many of his older teammates. Dan Snyder, owner of Redskins is a bad owner/ leader. Some teams are going to buy into Louisville's LT Mehki Becton who did not face many great defenses in the ACC. Cleveland does employ zone blocking in its offensive line some Wirfs is a consideration.

I think if Cleveland was going to trade for Williams they would have done it last year while still in the hunt for the playoffs. There is always the possibility Wirfs is going to Arizona or NY for the Giants.

He might, I have no idea. But it's far from a certainty since benchpress isn't stressed as heavily in the Iowa S&C program. Dude probably is one of the strongest guys in the combine, if not the strongest, but since the NFL continues to use something as stupid as bench he might not shine as he should.

He might, I have no idea. But it's far from a certainty since benchpress isn't stressed as heavily in the Iowa S&C program. Dude probably is one of the strongest guys in the combine, if not the strongest, but since the NFL continues to use something as stupid as bench he might not shine as he should.
This. As I remember, Scherff did fine, but didn't really stand out in the bench either, and he was ridiculous strong as well. Doyle laughs at the league using the bench as a strength measure as it relates to football. Pushing weight up while your lying flat on your back isn't exactly a winning football position....LOL.....

Scherff put up a bunch of reps, IIRC, like 32. But, since he bounced some of them off of his chest, they negated 8 of them, so he was only given credit for 24, which is pretty mediocre.

again, Iowa does not even have them do bench press, so not testing well in that particular combine event is typical for Hawkeye players. The scouts know that.

the 21 years old number is what will intrigue NFL coaches/GM's the most. He's going to test well but he's got 2-3 years less mileage than some people.

Wirfs was thought to be a top 5 pick, and now he has dropped quite a bit, because Iowa players don't work on bench press. He was beaten by a punter for crying out loud. AJ has dropped to around 28th.

Reactions: tuckercat
Lol no he hasn't. He did more reps than Becton and Thomas, yet those guys haven't dropped to almost out of the first round? Teams aren't dropping Wirfs because he "only" put up 1 less rep than Scherff did on a meaningless exercise.

Editing...I mixed up the point about Wirfs with AJ falling to 28. Wirfs has been anywhere from 7ish to 15ish. He hasn't fallen out of that range, certainly not out of the top 20, and certainly not simply due to his bench press.

Last edited:
Wirfs was thought to be a top 5 pick, and now he has dropped quite a bit, because Iowa players don't work on bench press. He was beaten by a punter for crying out loud. AJ has dropped to around 28th.
giphy.gif

Wirfs will have made more money at 22 than I have in my 56 years. Would not be surprised if he goes top 5.

Scherff put up a bunch of reps, IIRC, like 32. But, since he bounced some of them off of his chest, they negated 8 of them, so he was only given credit for 24, which is pretty mediocre.

again, Iowa does not even have them do bench press, so not testing well in that particular combine event is typical for Hawkeye players. The scouts know that.

Where does the Iowa players don't bench press come from? I read an interview with Doyle a few years ago where he specifically praised a player who misunderstood how to calculate the weight for a bench workout but wouldn't quit and completed all the reps at much heavier weights than required. Can't remember who the player was though.

Anyway, anything over 20 reps for an OL is gravy. 24 is fine.

Time to put him in a wildcat formation in goal line situations. In all seriousness, could you imagine trying to stop him ?

ADVERTISEMENT