ADVERTISEMENT

Troubles for PJ Fleck and the Gophers?

Dumb! A professor with an agenda! Who would have thought?

Yeah, it was pretty weak. The ending is a classic example of modern "journalism". After trying to create a story with innuendo and a clear personal vendetta in closing they say that Minnesota's player retirements due to injury are basically in line with other schools in D1 football. In essence, there is no story here.

Investigative journalism at its finest.

49pdIGC.gif

Reactions: StallmanCurse
Yeah, it was pretty weak. The ending is a classic example of modern "journalism". After trying to create a story with innuendo and a clear personal vendetta in closing they say that Minnesota's player retirements due to injury are basically in line with other schools in D1 football. In essence, there is no story here.

Investigative journalism at its finest.
Funny how not too long ago, you would see investigative stories and think "ooh, what have they uncovered?". Now you see a story like this and by default wonder who has the agenda. 'Journalism' is pretty much dead, which is sad to say for the minutely small amount of folks out there legit trying to do it right.

Last edited:
Dumb! A professor with an agenda! Who would have thought?
How is that an example of a professor with an agenda?

The guy was likely a lecturer ... or had a teaching faculty position. He saw students he cared about become shells of themselves. I imagine that were you the parents of those young men ... you'd likely commend an instructor for taking that sort of interest in your kid.

Had the guy been a career academic with tenure ... then there's little way that the university could have so easily booted him.

Now, football certainly is a tough sport ... and I'm willing to bet that Iowa relies upon the rough/tough nature of our program as a selective pressure that encourages the retention of players who have the make-up to embrace the grind and focus upon being improvement oriented. The guy with the neck injury who complained about game-like scrimmages during the spring ... he apparently didn't have a clue about the developmental importance of having high-quality take upon which to self-scout.

It is too bad that the folks conveying the story were simply transmitting "sound-bytes" rather than asking the more interesting question ... to develop to become a high-caliber player and become a high-level program you need to invest a crazy amount of time and blood, sweat, and tears ... is it morally worth the cost given what some of these young men put themselves through? I love football and I love its violence ... but asking questions about the ethics of forwarding such a game that garners such revenue for athletic departments and brings such name-recognition to the university ... that is a relevant and interesting question.

Reactions: littlez
If you are fighting for a position, you never let a trainer take you off the field. That's the unspoken rule of football. Anyone who played remembers the difference between hurt and injured speech, you get it at every level. Football hurts but you have to play through it.

Reactions: TheRealHerky
PJ Fleck is a douche and football is hard.

Meh.

Pretty much everything in a nutshell. Fleck is an idiot, having people have to clap when he enters the room and being forced to say "Elite" like a zombie confirms that. But yes, football is hard. Teams don't show discipline and toughness just because the coach politely asks them if they would please work hard. Most fans would be appalled at how the sausage is made, so to speak.

On the one hand, fans want their teams to do well. This can mean that guys who don't work hard or aren't progressing are "moved out" or encouraged to move on. But on the other hand we seem to want every last player to have the most wonderful experience in the world, and if they don't we are offended. It's very hard to have both. To be good, a program has to be demanding. I don't know what the exact answer is, but the best coaches demand work and discipline, but do it in a way where guys are respected. And with that, a good number of the players will still leave if they aren't playing or have to end their careers due to injuries.

Reactions: WSC72
im not taking a side for or against PJ Fleck, I don’t know the guy,
let the pads do the talking.
With that said I don’t wish this on anyone. We have had it more than once at Iowa- Banks, Bevins and Doyle. All were good coaches that had their career ended early by someone who got their feelings hurt and had an agenda.

Funny how not too long ago, you would see investigative stories and think "ooh, what have they uncovered?". Now you see a story like this and by default wonder who has the agenda. 'Journalism' is pretty much dead, which is said to say for the minutely small amount of folks out there legit trying to do it right.

So many directions to go with this I wouldn't know where to start (or rather, end). Modern "journalism" is the canary in the coal mine for the degradation of our educational and intellectual landscape in general.

If you are fighting for a position, you never let a trainer take you off the field. That's the unspoken rule of football. Anyone who played remembers the difference between hurt and injured speech, you get it at every level. Football hurts but you have to play through it.

A- I think that's an unspoken rule for everyone in all sports.

Sadly, I know tools -err, I mean human beings, who like him because of his "energy and passion".........
Fleck is a fake that has found a gullible fan base starving for national attention.

Outside the State of Minnesota, no one cares about Gopher football.

But it was quite enjoyable watching the Hawks end their undefeated season in 2019. And listening to ESPN laugh at PJ for calling that timeout with a minute left in the beat down last fall.

Fleck is a fake that has found a gullible fan base starving for national attention.

Outside the State of Minnesota, no one cares about Gopher football.

But it was quite enjoyable watching the Hawks end their undefeated season in 2019. And listening to ESPN laugh at PJ for calling that timeout with a minute left in the beat down last fall.
Can you imagine the fun if Nebraska had hired him?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT