ADVERTISEMENT

Truck reported stolen in 1977 found in Coralville Lake

cigaretteman

HB King
May 29, 2001
A truck that was reported stolen 47 years ago was discovered 20 feet under the water in Coralville Lake and pulled out last month, according to a news release from the Johnson County Sheriff’s Office.

A local fisherman made a report with the sheriff’s office in March after seeing sonar images of a possible vehicle near the West Overlook area of the reservoir.

The sheriff’s office contacted the Iowa Department of Natural Resources, which was able to determine the exact location of the truck — about 20 feet deep on the north side of the Coralville Dam, near the eastern shoreline, the release states.

The Johnson County Metro Dive Team, Johnson County Sheriff’s Office, Tegeler Wrecker & Crane, and Johnson County Emergency Management worked together to retrieve the vehicle from the water on Aug. 20. It was a 1969 Datsun truck that had been reported stolen to the Johnson County Sheriff’s Office in 1977.

The owner of the truck was notified that it was found, but the case was closed without any further investigation because any criminal charges that might have been involved are beyond the statute of limitations, according to the release.

Reactions: h-hawk
Johnson County Sheriff's office finally cracked the case of the century. Citizens can rest easy tonight.
Seems like a training exercise to me. They knew it was there for months and picked a pleasant day to recover the vehicle, check for remains, and be in practice should they have a pressing matter to respond to.

Reactions: cigaretteman
Johnson County Sheriff's office finally cracked the case of the century. Citizens can rest easy tonight.
They still haven't found the wife's body that the former owner of Dooley's disposed of. They used to come into Jake's once in awhile asking if it was under our old beer cooler. When we dug it out during a remodel we were all up there watching to see if we would find bones.

@jamesvanderwulf
They found your truck.
I never lost a truck in the Rez, but one of my left hand, concrete lifer employees, AKA " Muddy Reefers " lost two. Well one actually as a 4 inch sapling saved his F 150 from the same fate that claimed a Mazda B 2200. He lived in one of the cabins at the Marina at the time. Went out and started the truck, came back in to have a coffee while the 150 warmed up, went back out and says, " hey who took my truck . " There it was about 3 feet from the water, down the embankment 60 some feet, high centered on a Maple sapling, ready to take the plunge. So I came out with about 6 chains and pulled it back to safety with a ton truck. The lost B2200 is an even better story but I need to hold it in reserve to protect the innocent..

• Haha
Reactions: torbee and h-hawk
I never lost a truck in the Rez, but one of my left hand, concrete lifer employees, AKA " Muddy Reefers " lost two. Well one actually as a 4 inch sapling saved his F 150 from the same fate that claimed a Mazda B 2200. He lived in one of the cabins at the Marina at the time. Went out and started the truck, came back in to have a coffee while the 150 warmed up, went back out and says, " hey who took my truck . " There it was about 3 feet from the water, down the embankment 60 some feet, high centered on a Maple sapling, ready to take the plunge. So I came out with about 6 chains and pulled it back to safety with a ton truck. The lost B2200 is an even better story but I need to hold it in reserve to protect the innocent..

Huh.......

Manual? Disengaged the ebrake out of habit? I'm trying to figure this one out.

Lakes all over the country are apparently filled with old vehicles (and possibly bodies) that have been long missing. They are now being discovered due to the surge in drones and satellites with high-resolution aerial photography making it easier to see the lakes from overhead.

Lakes all over the country are apparently filled with old vehicles (and possibly bodies) that have been long missing. They are now being discovered due to the surge in drones and satellites with high-resolution aerial photography making it easier to see the lakes from overhead.
they drain some of them also for some sort of cleaning and or maintenance

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT