ADVERTISEMENT

Trump’s DOJ intervened to keep Paul Manafort from being imprisoned at Rikers Island

THE_DEVIL

HR King
Aug 16, 2005
Hell, Michigan
www.livecoinwatch.com
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/17/nyregion/manafort-rikers.html
President Donald Trump’s Department of Justice intervened to keep his former campaign chairman out of jail, The New York Times reported Monday.

Manafort had been expected to be moved to the Rikers Island jail complex.

“But last week, Manhattan prosecutors were surprised to receive a letter from the second-highest law enforcement official in the country inquiring about Mr. Manafort’s case. The letter, from Jeffrey A. Rosen, Attorney General William P. Barr’s new top deputy, indicated that he was monitoring where Mr. Manafort would be held in New York,” the newspaper reported.

“And then, on Monday, federal prison officials weighed in, telling the Manhattan district attorney’s office that Mr. Manafort, 70, would not be going to Rikers,” The Times reported.

How can federal authorities tell a state or local government where they jail someone on state charges?

Reactions: cigaretteman
Is it common to place white collar criminals in the same
prison as those who have committed murder or violent
acts of abuse?

Reactions: Mattski
Manafort is a scum of the earth white collar criminal, but he doesn't belong in Rikers. It's actually unfortunate we even have places like rikers to begin with but I suppose you need places to put the truly dangerous and violent offenders. A tax evader doesnt belong with child killers and rapists.

Reactions: LuteHawk
Manafort is a scum of the earth white collar criminal, but he doesn't belong in Rikers. It's actually unfortunate we even have places like rikers to begin with but I suppose you need places to put the truly dangerous and violent offenders. A tax evader doesnt belong with child killers and rapists.

I would agree on taking away someone's freedom should be punishment enough. Locking anyone up where lack of control means a prisoner fears for themselves, just shows our model doesn't work. Even for someone like Manafort shouldn't be worried that he will be raped. While this was an issue before prisons for profit, it certainly hasn't improved. That is a whole 'nother discussion though.

However, if the norm would be to send him to Rikers, thats where he should be going. Buddies of Trump shouldn't be involving themselves but I guess its good t be king. I also seriously doubt he would be able to be "fixed" via reform programs.

Just asking, but how many people died in Ukraine because of Manafort’s white collar crime? Hint, the number is not zero. He helped to prop up a kleptocracy that killed thousands of Ukrainian citizens.

Just asking, but how many people died in Ukraine because of Manafort’s white collar crime? Hint, the number is not zero. He helped to prop up a kleptocracy that killed thousands of Ukrainian citizens.

Thats the beauty of white collar crime, it allows a separation and distancing from other, more tactile and usually violent crime and is subsequently viewed differently. Robbing a dude on the street for $300 is so 1880s, robbing hundreds for millions is much more en vogue.

Reactions: THE_DEVIL
I’m glad some posters find that Rikers should only be for the worst offenders.

I now wonder if they will apply the same logic to many of the other non-Trump-connected people serving time there.

Barr wanted to make sure Manafort wasn't there before trump arrives next year so that it wouldn't look like they were getting favorable treatment by letting them bunk together.

I’m glad some posters find that Rikers should only be for the worst offenders.

I now wonder if they will apply the same logic to many of the other non-Trump-connected people serving time there.
Rikers has a sordid history. Closing or reforming is a legitimate issue. Many being held there have not been convicted of a crime, and cannot make bail before trial. Many being held there made small, technical violations to parole agreements.
None of the people worried about Manafort seem interested in a broader conversation.

Reactions: FSU_UCLA
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT