ADVERTISEMENT

Trump appointees strip 700,000+ people's voting rights away by reinstating pay-to-vote in Florida

Morrison71

HR Legend
Nov 10, 2006
https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2020/09/florida-11th-circuit-voting-rights.amp

On May 24, U.S. District Judge Robert Hinkle had thrown out the financial barrier to reenfranchisement, describing the fines as a “pay-to-vote system.” But the 6-4 decision from the 11th Circuit Court of Appeals stands to leave at least 774,000 people across Floridasubject to a law evocative of Jim Crow–era policy.
Most people affected by Amendment 4 are too poor to pay the fines and a broken court system further muddies the process. Court records are not straightforward, making it difficult for the formerly incarcerated to know if they’ve settled their debts or how much they even owe. The four dissenting judges wrote that the system “ultimately throws up its hands and denies citizens their ability to vote because the State can’t figure out the outstanding balances it is requiring those citizens to pay.” And anyone who inaccurately swears that they have no remaining court debt could face jail time—despite the strong possibility that the claim was a mistake.

The reversal being handed down during a particularly devastating economic period, further complicates how this could play out. Millions nationwide have lost their jobs during the coronavirus pandemic and in Florida the unemployment rate has remained relatively elevated. At the onset of the pandemic financial strain, twice as many Black Floridians were unemployed.

Florida is one of the most punitive states for financially penalizing people for minor things and then causing harsh consequences for those who don't pay those fines/penalties. I know of multiple people who have been put in jail for failure to pay traffic fines, then being charged additional debts for their arrest and for being in jail. It is deplorable.

It’s even worse because: (1) those that can pay can’t get an amount due from the State, who says it may be several YEARS before they can provide the information and (2) the Bush judge who wrote the opinion and the four Trump judges who concurred misstated the law on the first page of the opinion.

Florida gonna Florida.

Edited.

Last edited:
Reactions: pjhawk and Rudolph
Of course you don’t care, you are a CONservative

I don’t care if felons vote in any state. If they can get their rights back then so be it. Otherwise too bad. Btw, I have no idea how they vote.

God forbid these felons are required to pay their debt to society before gaining some rights back.
Florida has a terrible system where many paroled people either have paid their fines, or cannot find out how much they do owe. The record keeping is shoddy. The burden should not be on the disenfranchised.

FYI, the citizens of Florida wanted to restore the rights. Nice to see you are in top autocratic form and letting one judge make law from the bench.

If the legal system grants it back I have no problem just like I wouldn’t if it doesn’t. I’m careless to their little cause.

Saint Louis

When did this judge get his seat? Must have been smart as hell knowing Trump would be elected to wait all this time

You called Pryor a Trump Judge. Explain it.

He’s a judge appointed by Trump. Just like in my field there are Clinton judges, Bush judges, Obama judges, etc.

Did I really need to add the word “appointed” for people to understand?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT