ADVERTISEMENT

Trump asks Supreme Court to stop release of his tax returns

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Former president Donald Trump has asked the Supreme Court to intervene and prevent members of Congress from obtaining his past tax returns in an appeal filed Monday. Should the court decline, the records are set to be turned over to the House Ways and Means Committee on Wednesday.

“The Committee has no pressing need for Applicants’ information so it can study generic legislation about funding and regulating future IRS audits of future Presidents,” his attorney Cameron Norris wrote, saying the release of records would cause Trump “irreparable harm.”

Last week, the full U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit declined to review earlier rulings finding that lawmakers are entitled to the documents. The court also said it would not put the release of the papers on hold while Trump continues a legal fight that began in 2019. But the Supreme Court could issue an emergency order keeping the records from being released this week.

Lawmakers said they needed Trump’s tax returns from his time in office to help evaluate the effectiveness of annual presidential audits. Trump argued that their aims were actually to embarrass him politically, but federal judges have consistently ruled that the lawmakers established the “valid legislative purpose” required for disclosure.
This is not the only case in which Trump is seeking to shield his financial information. The Supreme Court last year declined to block the release of Trump’s financial records for a New York state investigation, and in 2020 it upheld Congress’s right to subpoena that information with some limitations.

What’s the over under in the number of seconds it will take for the tax returns to be leaked to the NYT and Washington post. I’m thinking 3 seconds.

Reactions: NCHawk5
Can just anyone petition the SCOTUS to force a ruling on their case if they lose an appeal? Seems like Trump is doing this an awful lot lately, and I don't know what the rules on getting them to rule on such short notice? If there was a way to do it, you'd think cases would not last years in the judicial system, but they do.

Can just anyone petition the SCOTUS to force a ruling on their case if they lose an appeal? Seems like Trump is doing this an awful lot lately, and I don't know what the rules on getting them to rule on such short notice? If there was a way to do it, you'd think cases would not last years in the judicial system, but they do.
yes. anyone can. and yes, trump is doing it a lot lately. and the reality is he's not getting to cut the line that often. anybody can petition for an administrative stay or order, and it's a high bar.

with that said, while i'm not sure it's really present in this particular matter, there is some basis to suggest that inter-branch disputes in some cases ought to get to cut the line. i would imagine there may also be some practical thinking that is applied to situations where a dispute doesn't technically involve a dispute between two branches, but there is a perception that the dispute involves a potential short-circuiting of political processes.

I thought you didn't care about tax returns. If there's nothing to see in them leak away. Nothing that could be in them would turn you away from the cult leader anyway.
The best result is for them to get leaked, Trump is poor, and Ron DeSantis rises into 2024

yes. anyone can. and yes, trump is doing it a lot lately. and the reality is he's not getting to cut the line that often. anybody can petition for an administrative stay or order, and it's a high bar.

with that said, while i'm not sure it's really present in this particular matter, there is some basis to suggest that inter-branch disputes in some cases ought to get to cut the line. i would imagine there may also be some practical thinking that is applied to situations where a dispute doesn't technically involve a dispute between two branches, but there is a perception that the dispute involves a potential short-circuiting of political processes.
In a petition like this do they have to provide some level of detail, explanation or evidence of what the "irreparable harm" is that would caused? I think it would be fascinating for Trump's lawyers to explain.

Reactions: franklinman
Trump is right that he will be caused irreparable harm. Everyone will get to see that he's really a poor.

Yeah, well, we know if that happens he will say say they are fake tax returns showing he is poor. A witch hunt against his wealth schemed up by the corrupt IRS and their 78 kabillion new agents.

Reactions: gohawks50
The answer is, technically, yes. The difference is lawyers for just anyone are likely to be disbarred for filing BS cases so in reality it won't happen very often. Trump's lawyers seem to not be concerned about that and considering it hasn't happened yet, they probably don't have a reason to be concerned.

• Sad
Reactions: funksouljon
The answer is, technically, yes. The difference is lawyers for just anyone are likely to be disbarred for filing BS cases so in reality it won't happen very often. Trump's lawyers seem to not be concerned about that and considering it hasn't happened yet, they probably don't have a reason to be concerned.
Not with this protect, Corrupt Filthy Don at all cost court.

It would seem the justices Trump nominated to the SC should recuse themselves for conflict of interest. But they won't.

Reactions: cigaretteman
In a petition like this do they have to provide some level of detail, explanation or evidence of what the "irreparable harm" is that would caused? I think it would be fascinating for Trump's lawyers to explain.
the technical answer is that it is typically described in the petition, but not in extensive evidentiary form. that said, that sort of material may well have been presented in the record below, and if the court ultimately grants the petition for review (not stay) all that will be before the court in teh record.

well yes, though the argument isn't whether a petition is 'bs'. it is whether it complies with r11, which means that it is based on existing law or good faith construction/extension thereof. that's actually a surprisingly low bar.

Well they are his judges. Just ask him about it.

ADVERTISEMENT