ADVERTISEMENT

Trump extended Secret Service protection for 14 members of his family as he left office

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
In the days before he left office, then-President Donald Trump instructed that his extended family get the best security available in the world for the next six months, at no cost — the protection of the U.S. Secret Service.

According to three people briefed on the plan, Trump issued a directive to extend post-presidency Secret Service protection to 14 members of his family who were not automatically entitled to receive it.
Under federal law, Trump, his wife Melania and their 14-year-old son are the only members of his immediate family entitled to Secret Service protection after they leave office.
The couple will receive it for their lifetimes, and Barron is entitled to protection until he turns 16. Former Vice President Mike Pence and his wife Karen Pence will also receive continued Secret Service security for the next six months under the same law governing protection.
AD

Trump departs White House hours before Biden's inauguration

President Trump left the White House for the final time in his presidency on Jan. 20, before traveling to West Palm Beach, Fla. (The Washington Post)

But Trump wanted every family member who had been protected by the Secret Service during his administration to be covered for another six months, according to the people familiar with his directive, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to describe security arrangements.
That means the expensive, taxpayer-funded security will continue for his daughter Ivanka Trump and her husband Jared Kushner, their three children, his son Donald Trump Jr. and his five children, his son Eric Trump and his wife Lara and his daughter Tiffany Trump.
The 24-hour protection will focus on Trump’s grown children. His grandchildren will receive protection that derives from being in proximity to their parents and will not be as extensive as it was during Trump’s presidency.

A former Trump White House spokesman declined to comment. A spokeswoman for the Secret Service also declined to comment, saying the agency does not discuss the individuals it protects.
AD

A president can order Secret Service protection for any person he choses, but it is highly unusual for a president to provide 24-hour security to such a large number of family members, including so many grown adults.
President Bill Clinton and President George W. Bush sought extensions to protect their college-aged daughters for a short period after they left office. President Barack Obama’s daughters Sasha and Malia were also granted short extension of security after he left office in 2017, when they were in high school and on a gap year from college. A Secret Service official declined to say when that protection ended.

A spokesperson for the Department of Homeland Security, which oversees the expansion of Secret Service security, did not respond to inquiries. The official did not answer questions on whether the agency performed any threat assessment that suggested the extension was warranted, or it weighed in on the decision regarding Trump’s family.
AD

The perk for the Trump family is expected to cost taxpayers millions of dollars and further stress the elite federal security force, which in the past four years had to staff the largest number ever of full-time security details — up to 42 at one point, according to former senior administration officials.
The extension of security for the Trump family comes as the Secret Service has also mobilized protective details for the extended families of incoming President Biden and Vice President Harris.

Full-time security teams are being deployed to protect Biden’s two grown children and seven grandchildren, as well as Harris’s two step-children.
The Trump family’s protection has been costly for the Secret Service’s budget, as his adult children traveled widely across the country and around the world for personal vacations and travel related to the Trump Organization, the family company.
AD

From 2017 to 2019, government records show, Trump family members took more than 4,500 trips that required Secret Service to travel alongside them, costing taxpayers tens of millions of dollars.

I am not sure why this cannot be overridden. Not for spite, but just after a threat evaluation. I doubt Tiffany Trump faces much of a threat to her safety. It seems like Trump is just comping himself at taxpayer expense. And, if they cannot reduce the number of protected people, they should be able to scale down the number of agents after assessing the threat level.
Pence probably has a high threat level, but that is from Trump supporters.
From here on out, not one dollar should go to a Trump owned property. They should rent no space, and no equipment ever from a Trump property.

I am not sure why this cannot be overridden. Not for spite, but just after a threat evaluation. I doubt Tiffany Trump faces much of a threat to her safety. It seems like Trump is just comping himself at taxpayer expense. And, if they cannot reduce the number of protected people, they should be able to scale down the number of agents after assessing the threat level.
Pence probably has a high threat level, but that is from Trump supporters.
From here on out, not one dollar should go to a Trump owned property. They should rent no space, and no equipment ever from a Trump property.

But he donated his salary!

I'd love to see the SS sitting out side of their cells. Jumping up every time someone walks through the cell block.

trump-family-prison.jpg

berlin-germany-05th-sep-2018-an-actor-of-the-wax-figure-cabinet-madame-tussauds-with-a-silicone-mask-of-us-president-donald-trump-stands-behind-the-bars-of-a-cage-in-a-torture-cellar-during-a-press-conference-in-the-berlin-dungeon-the-live-figure-can-currently-be-seen-with-live-performances-at-madame-tussauds-in-the-dungeons-the-dark-past-of-the-city-of-berlin-is-brought-up-for-discussion-credit-jens-kalaenedpa-zentralbildzbdpaalamy-live-news-PJA9HE.jpg

Do they get free sammiches for life too?
That’s part of my gripe. How much food and space rental over the years to Trump? Mnuchin has been hiding monies paid to Trump for four years. Janet Yellen needs to open the books up.

Reactions: cigaretteman
I just learned that Mark Meadows and Stephen Mnuchin were awarded protection. That needs to be explained.

Reactions: cigaretteman
I’m fine with it. It’s six months. The last thing we need is someone to go after a family member.

I’m fine with it. It’s six months. The last thing we need is someone to go after a family member.

I do not see the need for us to pay millions of dollars for secret service protection for Trump’s grown children. Clinton, Bush and Obama requested this protection for their daughters who were in college. The pilfering of the American public continues for the Don.

Reactions: dirtypool
I do not see the need for us to pay millions of dollars for secret service protection for Trump’s grown children. Clinton, Bush and Obama requested this protection for their daughters who were in college. The pilfering of the American public continues for the Don.

Is it needed? Probably not, but pulling that protection by Biden would look petty and undercut his message of unity and bipartisanship. I don’t see a political upside for Biden here.

We have had enough pettiness in the West Wing.

Reactions: mooresville hawk
Is it needed? Probably not, but pulling that protection by Biden would look petty and undercut his message of unity and bipartisanship. I don’t see a political upside for Biden here.

We have had enough pettiness in the West Wing.
I agree that not pulling is the right thing to do but Biden needs to make sure Trump doesn’t’ make money from it.

Reactions: sober_teacher
ADVERTISEMENT