ADVERTISEMENT

Trump/GOP Healthcare plan released

The first thing to fix is price gouging and over charging. Medical in America has far too many legal scams. I go get an MRI.... $1850 or $400 cash price. LOL
My wife gets physical therapy. $70 per session, then they mistakingly sent a bill for $8600 for 6 sessions. WTF?!?
We could list endless examples, eiyher way, is is shamless and a fleecing of America.

Reactions: Run&Blade
The first thing to fix is price gouging and over charging. Medical in America has far too many legal scams. I go get an MRI.... $1850 or $400 cash price. LOL
$1850 will be the "sticker price"
$400 will be the negotiated rate with an insurer

If you don't have an insurance negotiated rate, you might be surprised how much providers want to charge for things. Prices get jacked up by providers to cover the unpaid costs of the uninsured.

Government should set reimbursement amount by diagnosis code for every procedure.

once that is in place we can see who can manage healthcare cheaper. Government or Private.

First of all, Tillis represents the Republican mindset. I’ve got mine, screw all the rest of you.

Secondly, healthcare providers do not give that much of a discount for paying cash. At most, 20%, but usually much less.

Medicare funded providers should be required to provide cash paying customers service at the lowest negotiated reimbursement rate that is not Medicaid. Typically Medicare

Reactions: gohawks50
Government should set reimbursement amount by diagnosis code for every procedure.
Medicare does this already. Most insurers follow suit on Medicare pricing on many things.

Medicare is much more efficient than many insurers; problem is, Medicare doesn't allow for "making money back" for non-payers/uninsured (why you'll pay $10 for that Tylenol dose in-hospital, vs the $0.25 negotiated rate reimbursements.

One key thing ACA does, is limit provider/hospital liabilities per-patient to around $6-7k, which allows for negotiation of lower rates, overall. Eliminate that protection for providers, and you'll see a la carte rates go even higher in the near term.

You ever heard of "interest on the debt"? Of course he'll exceed it. This is a Trump fiasco that will cost generations to come.
Obama was $8.588 trillion. Trump will beat his average. Biden will break Trumps.

until the interest is more than tax revenue nobody will care.

Reactions: MitchLL
Medicare does this already. Most insurers follow suit on Medicare pricing on many things.

Medicare is much more efficient than many insurers; problem is, Medicare doesn't allow for "making money back" for non-payers/uninsured (why you'll pay $10 for that Tylenol dose in-hospital, vs the $0.25 negotiated rate reimbursements.

One key thing ACA does, is limit provider/hospital liabilities per-patient to around $6-7k, which allows for negotiation of lower rates, overall. Eliminate that protection for providers, and you'll see a la carte rates go even higher in the near term.
Providers should have to stick to one amount per diagnosis code no matter what. I don’t care if the patient has private insurance, Medicare, or pays cash. Providers also should not be able to bill patient above and beyond reimbursement.

deductibles yes.

Providers should have to stick to one amount per diagnosis code no matter what. I don’t care if the patient has private insurance, Medicare, or pays cash. Providers also should not be able to bill patient above and beyond reimbursement.

deductibles yes.

Let me explain how the "game" works.

I had blood work done years back, two different insurers. Both reimbursed similarly. It was about $275-300 per workup.

The first insurer reimbursed $300. The following year, the line items were billed as $300 for the workup, and the provider tried to tack on another "$25+" for "apheresis". The blood draw.

Insurance included that as part of the $300, so they lined it out and reimbursed +$0.25
$300.25 total. W/o insurance, a private, cash payer, was paying out that extra $25, because that was the bill.

This is the game that goes on between providers and payers. When you come with a checkbook, you literally have zero bargaining power. You pay it, or they'll send collections after you. And if you do not understand the medical codes, you get f****d in the ass.

I had an outpatient procedure done a few years back. Full insurance coverage, reimbursed at about $600. MSRP was $1200, but insurance paid half. Insurance tried to bill me for "anesthesia" for $50 more. I asked the provider about it, and they said they coded it correctly. I looked up the medical codes: they had. Told the insurer it was covered already. Insurer said the provided coded wrong. I gave them the codes and they bailed. They (insurer) literally tried to bilk me, and everyone else they cover, for a bullshit $50, because who's going to bother. This is what I told them over the phone: this is "fraud", and if you want a class action for everyone you cover for taking back this $50 a pop, good luck with paying back millions plus legal fees.

Bill "disappeared". I sent my files and info to the state attorney general.
Haven't had a problem with that insurer since, because they don't want people who call them out and know how to send fraudulent billing info to state AGs.

The system is full of bad-player-middlemen from provider to insurer on up. ACA didn't fix that, but it should be the next step.

I am not defending the current system.

I would love to pay less for healthcare. Just show me the math. 7% (common number thrown around) rate that my wife both have to pay means I will pay more then we do now.

yes I know my employer contributes about $10k a year towards my insurance. I also have never heard of a place that offers employees $10k extra in pay if they turn it down. You don’t have to pay your portion but the company doesn’t give you theirs. So don’t tell me they would, because they don’t now.

only way healthcare gets cheaper for me is if providers have to take less. Otherwise what you are talking about is a cost shift.

I am not defending the current system.

I would love to pay less for healthcare. Just show me the math.

"The math" is that the US pays about 4x more for administrative costs (all to middlemen within the provider infrastructure and/or the insurer infrastructure) than nearly any other Western nation. We are something like 24-25%, whereas single-payer nations have about 6%+.

ALL of that money is cost out of YOUR pocket and into someone who really adds little value on the pass-through.

And I can tell you about what those costs run to, based on CO Health Op (state run insurer plan) costs that were 10-20% lower than United Health, Cigna, etc when ACA came out. $300/month vs. $360/month for the Big Boys.

The Big Boys lobbied in Congress to get the cost sharing shut down, and eliminate that competition; Cigna, alone, spent >$3M from one article I linked years ago. They probably made 100x ROI on that "investment".

The BEST thing we could do to improve ACA, is underwrite state-operated health co-ops to compete directly with Big Insurance AND push against provider overcharges. But so long as United Health, BCBS, Cigna, BrightHealth, etc are all willing to ante up $10-20M or more and prevent any legislation from enabling this, YOU will continue to push that 10-20% (or higher) surcharge to all the middlemen, and for management/exec "bonuses".

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT