ADVERTISEMENT

Trump is throwing himself into the Democrats’ trap

cigaretteman

HB King
May 29, 2001
President Trump's biggest weakness is that he doesn't know how to make deals.

That, as Business Insider's Josh Barro points out, seems to suggest a deep unfamiliarity with the urtext of the subject, “The Art of the Deal.” Trump should know that “the worst thing you can possibly do in a deal is seem desperate to make it.” But that's precisely what he has done, first with health care and now with infrastructure.

Indeed, the latest reports are that Trump is hoping to use the prospect of a big infrastructure package to woo Democrats to his side on tax reform, and, in the process, cut the recalcitrantly right-wing House Freedom Caucus out of any negotiations. He apparently doesn't want to deal with them anymore after they played a leading role in scuttling Trumpcare.

There's only one flaw in this plan. It's called reality.

First off, Trump has lost whatever leverage he might have once had over Democrats. If he'd started his term by telling them that he was going to do infrastructure, and it was up to them whether that was on some of their terms or all the GOP's, there's at least a chance that he could have pried a few Democratic votes loose. But, as you may have noticed, that's not how he started his term.

Instead, he did just about everything he could to alienate Democrats, from his, in their view, discriminatory travel ban to his attempt to undo their greatest legislative achievement of the last 40 years in Obamacare. More than that, though, Trump's inability to unite Republicans behind his health-care bill showed Democrats that they don't have to make a deal with him out of fear of him making an extremely conservative deal with the House Freedom Caucus. It turns out he can't make a deal with them at all. Kind of makes it hard to play the two sides off against each other.

If Trump wants Democratic votes, then, it's going to have to be entirely on Democratic terms, which, whether he realizes it or not, are quite different even when it comes to infrastructure. How is that possible? After all, aren't we just talking about building roads and bridges and airports and water systems and electrical grids? Well, yes. But the question is how to pay for it. Republicans want to give private-sector companies tax credits for building approved projects, which they then could charge people to use. Think toll roads, except for everything. Democrats, meanwhile, want the government to take advantage of its still historically low borrowing costs to build whatever we need itself. They're afraid that tax credits would only fund the most profitable projects, not the most necessary ones; that they'd mostly be a windfall for projects that were already going to happen, not promote new ones; and that the money would go to people close to Trump, not the ones who need it most.

The problem is Trump might lose one Republican vote for every Democratic one he gains if he does infrastructure the way they want.

Not that Trump has to worry about this. It probably won't even get that far. That's because Democrats have no incentive to help Trump pass popular legislation when his unpopularity helps them. Why turn him into the winning winner he ran as, who alone possesses the ability to break through the gridlock of Washington, when they can keep him as the losing loser he's governed as, who can't even get a bill through one chamber of Congress his party controls? They won't, at least not on terms that are remotely acceptable to Republicans.

That's what happens when everyone knows you can't afford to walk away from the negotiating table, say, because you have a 36 percent approval rating. Nobody will be afraid of your threats, everybody will call your bluff, and you will cave to whatever they want. That would at least get some deal done if you were only giving in to one set of demands, but when you're trying to give in to two or three mutually exclusive ones, you won't even get that.

You'll get nothing.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ap-820a:homepage/story&utm_term=.f5aecae25a3d

Not sure if Trump will get any big wins. Healthcare is dead. Tax reform is a pipedream. And infrastructure will never work if we go the toll route.

Like I've been saying. Trump is already a lame duck president.

Reactions: cigaretteman
Find this in the fiction section of your local book store

donald-trump-book.jpg

Maybe he is trapping the idiot dems?
Which he's been doing since he first ran for office. It's been beautiful to watch. A bunch of idiot Dems, most of whom are life long politicians, trying to out deal the country's most famous and notorious business man.

Good luck with that Dems.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bro D
Per the actual author of The Art of the Deal,

“I put lipstick on a pig,” he said. “I feel a deep sense of remorse that I contributed to presenting Trump in a way that brought him wider attention and made him more appealing than he is.” He went on, “I genuinely believe that if Trump wins and gets the nuclear codes there is an excellent possibility it will lead to the end of civilization.”

If he were writing “The Art of the Deal” today, Schwartz said, it would be a very different book with a very different title. Asked what he would call it, he answered, “The Sociopath.”

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2016/07/25/donald-trumps-ghostwriter-tells-all

Which he's been doing since he first ran for office. It's been beautiful to watch. A bunch of idiot Dems, most of whom are life long politicians, trying to out deal the country's most famous and notorious business man.

Good luck with that Dems.

It was the GOP during the nominating process that was desperate to stop him. They tried to form coalitions too late. You guys own him in the long run. I just hope we, as a country, can recover.

Per the actual author of The Art of the Deal,

“I put lipstick on a pig,” he said. “I feel a deep sense of remorse that I contributed to presenting Trump in a way that brought him wider attention and made him more appealing than he is.” He went on, “I genuinely believe that if Trump wins and gets the nuclear codes there is an excellent possibility it will lead to the end of civilization.”

If he were writing “The Art of the Deal” today, Schwartz said, it would be a very different book with a very different title. Asked what he would call it, he answered, “The Sociopath.”

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2016/07/25/donald-trumps-ghostwriter-tells-all
Sorry, I had not scrolled down before posting the same article. What was funny is when 45 declared he was running, it was one of the first statements he made.

"We need a leader that wrote ‘The Art of the Deal." OK. That would be Schwartz.

Reactions: Huey Grey
Sorry, I had not scrolled down before posting the same article. What was funny is when 45 declared he was running, it was one of the first statements he made.

"We need a leader that wrote ‘The Art of the Deal." OK. That would be Schwartz.
Jesus, this guy is a POS.

It was the GOP during the nominating process that was desperate to stop him. They tried to form coalitions too late. You guys own him in the long run. I just hope we, as a country, can recover.
Who's you guys? I'm GOP? That's news to me.

Also, yes add the GOP obstruction failure into the list of wins for Trump.

So what major pieces of legislation do you think Trump will accomplish?

I don't know, but he's sure to get legislation through under the reconciliation process as well as at least one Supreme Court justice. So if the Dems have a trap, I'd sure be interested in hearing details.

Reactions: Bro D
I don't know, but he's sure to get legislation through under the reconciliation process as well as at least one Supreme Court justice. So if the Dems have a trap, I'd sure be interested in hearing details.
Judge, yes. Anything else is pretty doubtful. He doesn't have the votes.

Prime is coming unhinged, very angry recently. If I cared, I'd be worried for him.

Who's in power? Who smacked down Hillary like she was just some newcomer to DC? Who's been goading the Dems into traps the entire time?

Trump.

Trump getting elected is a condemnation of our media and shows how stupid the American electorate has become. It has nothing to do with what an excellent tactician Trump is. The GOP base has been dumbed down so much that Hulk Hogan could have run as their candidate and won. Now that Trump is actually in DC surrounded by people who know what they're doing he's coming off as the buffoon that he is. If he accomplishes anything in whatever time he has in office, which I'm hoping is significantly less than 4 years, I'll be surprised.

What traps has he goaded the Dems into? What has he accomplished? What has he done?!? I mean, other than make the office of POTUS lesser than it was. The ghosts of countless great men are shaking their heads in shame of what he is doing. He's embarrassing the nation 142 characters at a time.

Judge, yes. Anything else is pretty doubtful. He doesn't have the votes.

No filibuster under reconciliation.

But, also might add, throughout US history a President and congress controlled by the same party does not mean easy going - both FDR and LBJ had trouble maining unity with their majorities in congress.

Trump getting elected is a condemnation of our media and shows how stupid the American electorate has become. It has nothing to do with what an excellent tactician Trump is. The GOP base has been dumbed down so much that Hulk Hogan could have run as their candidate and won. Now that Trump is actually in DC surrounded by people who know what they're doing he's coming off as the buffoon that he is. If he accomplishes anything in whatever time he has in office, which I'm hoping is significantly less than 4 years, I'll be surprised.

What traps has he goaded the Dems into? What has he accomplished? What has he done?!? I mean, other than make the office of POTUS lesser than it was. The ghosts of countless great men are shaking their heads in shame of what he is doing. He's embarrassing the nation 142 characters at a time.
He goaded them into talking about election influence, whilst the DNC itself admitted to influencing the election (Libs always forget about that). He one more than one occasion named attacks as terrorism, only to be called out for it, and then to watch it actually be terrorism in the end.

He used key words to identify his opponents, such as crooked Hillary and lying Ted. Both of whom lived up to those words. He pointed out internationalists connections, Wall Street payouts, Foreign Policy failures(particularly Syria and Libya) that Hillary was directly involved in. He stuck up for the American worker and pledged a Nation first campaign.

In other words, he kicked the #$#$ out of the system and despite all the opposition, he still got elected.

Yeah, Try again. I've already read that one and it says nothing more than Russia favoring Trump over Clinton.

Who cares if they favored him over Clinton? The Saudis, you know the terror sponsors, human rights deniers, same place the 9-11 hijackers came from and were financed through, supported Hillary.

Tell me something that HURTS American interests. Tell me where Putin is in control of us.

No filibuster under reconciliation.

But, also might add, throughout US history a President and congress controlled by the same party does not mean easy going - both FDR and LBJ had trouble maining unity with their majorities in congress.
But he doesn't even have the votes in the House. That's my point.

Yeah, Try again. I've already read that one and it says nothing more than Russia favoring Trump over Clinton.

Who cares if they favored him over Clinton? The Saudis, you know the terror sponsors, human rights deniers, same place the 9-11 hijackers came from and were financed through, supported Hillary.

Tell me something that HURTS American interests. Tell me where Putin is in control of us.
giphy.gif

Folks should google Trumps infrastructure plan. Its probably not what you think. The talking point is he wants to spend a trillion over 10 years building bridges and airports and the like. Sounds good and straightforward. But its not. Its really renting assets to private companies so they can run them at a profit for years. Like when Chicago sold all their parking meters to a private company. Your municipal assets are on the auction block and the kicker is Trump will give the private companies tax incentives to come buy your water pipes. You know that free parking by the free library? Both gone. You know that city park where you have family picnics. Now there is a grounds fee to put your blanket out. Get ready for billboards in Yosemite Park brought to you by AT&T. If we are going down this road, we should be getting a lot better deal than a Trillion dollars over 10 years. Trump is going to leave office with a trillion in 4.

He goaded them into talking about election influence, whilst the DNC itself admitted to influencing the election (Libs always forget about that). He one more than one occasion named attacks as terrorism, only to be called out for it, and then to watch it actually be terrorism in the end.

He used key words to identify his opponents, such as crooked Hillary and lying Ted. Both of whom lived up to those words. He pointed out internationalists connections, Wall Street payouts, Foreign Policy failures(particularly Syria and Libya) that Hillary was directly involved in. He stuck up for the American worker and pledged a Nation first campaign.

In other words, he kicked the #$#$ out of the system and despite all the opposition, he still got elected.

You're delusional. You really think that Trump is good for this country, don't you?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT