ADVERTISEMENT

Trump Mar-a-Lago affidavit unsealed, with redactions

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
A redacted version of the affidavit supporting the request to search former president Donald Trump’s Mar-a-Lago residence and club was released in a federal courthouse in Florida, potentially shedding new light on the high-profile investigation into the possible mishandling of classified documents.

Federal Magistrate Judge Bruce E. Reinhart, who approved the warrant for the search, granted a request from news organizations to unseal the affidavit but allowed the Justice Department to propose redactions of information that government officials said could jeopardize the probe or the safety of witnesses.

Reinhart accepted those redactions Thursday afternoon and ordered the Justice Department to unseal the document by noon Friday.
Archives asked for records after Trump lawyer agreed they should be returned, email says
The affidavit likely contains key information about the investigation into classified documents that were kept at Mar-a-Lago after Trump left office, including why FBI agents suspect crimes may have been committed. On Aug. 8, FBI agents searched the estate in Palm Beach and carted away about 20 boxes from a bedroom, office and a first-floor storage room. Authorities have said some of the seized documents included highly classified national secrets.

ADVERTISING

The warrant authorizing the search said agents were seeking all “physical documents and records constituting evidence, contraband, fruits of crime, or other items illegally possessed in violation of three potential crimes,” including a part of the Espionage Act outlawing gathering, transmitting, or losing national defense information. The warrant also cites destruction of records and concealment or mutilation of government material.

Emails, documents and interviews show that the search followed months of conflict between the former president and law enforcement agencies about getting the documents — which are protected under the Presidential Records Act — into the custody of the National Archives and Records Administration.

Reactions: BGHAWK and h-hawk
The sole intent of the Trumpsters is nothing more than trying to identify potential witnesses for the sole purpose of intimidation.

Nothing more and nothing less.

Fortunately, it looks like most of their efforts will be in vain.

I imagine a few dozen more attorneys got calls this morning, maybe even from the RNC, asking if they'd be willing to represent the disgraced ex President.

Didn't Trump burn an Israeli asset within ISIS. By bragging to some Russians early in his Presidency.
“Trump betrayed us,” said a senior Israeli military official bluntly, his voice stern with reproach. “And if we can’t trust him, then we’re going to have to do what is necessary on our own if our back is up against the wall with Iran.” Yet while appalled governments are now forced to rethink their tactics in future dealings with a wayward president, there is also the dismaying possibility that a more tangible, and more lethal, consequence has already occurred. “The Russians will undoubtedly try to figure out the source or the method of this information to make sure that it is not also collecting on their activities in Syria—and in trying to do that they could well disrupt the source,” said Michael Morell.

What, then, was the fate of Israel’s agent in Syria? Was the operative exfiltrated to safety? Has he gone to ground in enemy territory? Or was he hunted down and killed? One former Mossad officer with knowledge of the operation and its aftermath will not say. Except to add pointedly, “Whatever happened to him, it’s a hell of price to pay for a president’s mistake.”

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2017/11/trump-intel-slip

One of the experts MSNBC has on is wondering if the FBI had to share this info immediately with our intelligence agencies so that they could get their resources to safety. We don't know that happened but think how outrageous it is that we have to consider that as a possibility due to trump.

The more worrisome issue is what Turd did in personal meetings with others?

The Saudi visitors were at MaL. And other GOP lawmakers in contact with Trump also have had contact with foreign govts.

This may very well turn out to be the single, largest case of espionage in Merican history.

I imagine there's lots of attorneys and legislators sweating bullets today.

The happiest person on the planet today is DeSantis.

WOW!!! Tune into Fox if you want to see Herculean efforts at damage control and obfuscation.
Just tuned in. The startling thing to me is Karl Rove just mauled Trump and his actions of withholding documents. Don't very often see anyone interviewed on Fox that's allowed to criticize Turd. I'm guessing Rove won't be invited back for an interview for a bit.

Yep, the talking heads are really defensive today.

It's glorious.

Fox will need all weekend to spin this as anything but deeply troubling for the Trumpsters.

The latest: Trump says judge shouldn’t have allowed Mar-a-Lago search​

Former president Donald Trump claimed Friday that a federal judge in Florida should never have allowed the search of his Mar-a-Lago estate, offering his first reaction to the release of a redacted FBI affidavit that was filed ahead of a court-authorized action spurred by concern over his retention of classified records.
“WE GAVE THEM MUCH,” Trump wrote on Truth Social, his social media platform. “Judge Bruce Reinhart should NEVER have allowed the Break-In of my home.”
Trump also said there was nothing mentioned in the affidavit about documents he took with him from the White House related to nuclear weapons. Given the extent of the redactions, however, it would be impossible to know if that was mentioned in the affidavit from looking at the document released Friday.
The Post reported shortly after the search that classified documents relating to nuclear weapons were among the items FBI agents sought.
In his post, Trump also noted the large number of redactions.
“Affidavit heavily redacted!!!” he said.

• Angry
Reactions: h-hawk
“Trump betrayed us,” said a senior Israeli military official bluntly, his voice stern with reproach. “And if we can’t trust him, then we’re going to have to do what is necessary on our own if our back is up against the wall with Iran.” Yet while appalled governments are now forced to rethink their tactics in future dealings with a wayward president, there is also the dismaying possibility that a more tangible, and more lethal, consequence has already occurred. “The Russians will undoubtedly try to figure out the source or the method of this information to make sure that it is not also collecting on their activities in Syria—and in trying to do that they could well disrupt the source,” said Michael Morell.

What, then, was the fate of Israel’s agent in Syria? Was the operative exfiltrated to safety? Has he gone to ground in enemy territory? Or was he hunted down and killed? One former Mossad officer with knowledge of the operation and its aftermath will not say. Except to add pointedly, “Whatever happened to him, it’s a hell of price to pay for a president’s mistake.”

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2017/11/trump-intel-slip

Here is the astonishing thing about this. With any other President - GOP or Democrat - this would be a story that we talk about all the time. But Trump's behavior is so atrocious, he has done so many spectacularly awful things it becomes impossible to remember, let alone focus, on any one or two of them. So this story is basically forgotten by the public.

For the 10 minutes I watched Fox, they were all pretty objective and not throwing stones at the DOJ, even Karl Rove

Ah….but now instead of swiftly and recklessly “raiding” MAL with FBI Hostage Rescue Team personnel (Donald J Trump Jr’s assertion), now the DOJ and FBI waited too long?!?!

You’re gonna get whiplash following RW media today.

I haven’t read the affidavit, but it supposedly says they have evidence the information was in other places at the club. In other words, the idiot was showing off the documents to visitors in order to impress them. Does anyone actually believe that is not the reason he had the letters from NK? Or the letter from Obama? He wanted to be the big man. He wanted to show his narcissistic ass off to visitors, many of whom were giving him money.

This, and other things, is EXACTLY why those on the left were saying the man was unfit to be President of the United States. He is unfit by moral character and attitude.

The right defended him over and over. You are wrong about him. Come out and admit it. He’s a con man and has a significant personality deficit.

I haven’t read the affidavit, but it supposedly says they have evidence the information was in other places at the club. In other words, the idiot was showing off the documents to visitors in order to impress them. Does anyone actually believe that is not the reason he had the letters from NK? Or the letter from Obama? He wanted to be the big man. He wanted to show his narcissistic ass off to visitors, many of whom were giving him money.

This, and other things, is EXACTLY why those on the left were saying the man was unfit to be President of the United States. He is unfit by moral character and attitude.

The right defended him over and over. You are wrong about him. Come out and admit it. He’s a con man and has a significant personality deficit.
He is the enemy of the United States and the leader of the GOP. Hmmmm...

For the 10 minutes I watched Fox, they were all pretty objective and not throwing stones at the DOJ, even Karl Rove
Turley has really toned it down. He was spinning in circles.
Rove is not a Trumper. He's a POS, but at least he isn't a Trumper. He criticized him a few days ago for hoarding campaign cash while the House and Senate tip in the balance.

Here is the astonishing thing about this. With any other President - GOP or Democrat - this would be a story that we talk about all the time. But Trump's behavior is so atrocious, he has done so many spectacularly awful things it becomes impossible to remember, let alone focus, on any one or two of them. So this story is basically forgotten by the public.
It's been a firehose of corruption, scandal, and scummy behavior for six years. Nobody can keep up. But, at least some things are finally catching up to him. This is a big problem for him, and so is Georgia.

Reactions: BelemNole
Tired Good Night GIF by MLB

Reactions: kwik44
You'll never change the mind of the MAGAts, but there can't be an Independent on the face of the earth that would want Turd anywhere near this classified info ever again.

The info I've heard today is even worse than what I previously thought.
And that's hard to do because I didn't think my opinion of Turd could be lower.

Today it just hit rock bottom.

You'll never change the mind of the MAGAts, but there can't be an Independent on the face of the earth that would want Turd anywhere near this classified info ever again.

The info I've heard today is even worse than what I previously thought.
And that's hard to do because I didn't think my opinion of Turd could be lower.

Today it just hit rock bottom.
Meh, there's always tomorrow.

Ah. But you spent so much past time and energy against a seemingly lawless Hillary Clinton. Guess you really aren’t universally concerned about corruption and lawlessness by politicians.

ADVERTISEMENT