ADVERTISEMENT

Trump responds to climate activist Greta Thunberg in sarcastic tweet

And I'm fine with her taking a day off of school to do it. But from my understanding she has some sort of school boycott going on because of climate change.

Planet is on it's death legs,... she don't need no stinking school...

I'm guessing she learned a lot more traveling to New York, seeing the UN and how it works and meeting world leaders than she ever could have in school.

When did she do that? All I saw was her being all outraged and weepy, and then sort of threatening.

2015311-142211860-6149-ignore-150x150.jpg
Done.

I haven't had anybody on ignore all year. Today, I've started picking off the scum.

When did she do that? All I saw was her being all outraged and weepy, and then sort of threatening.

That's because that is all Fox News showed you. Did you know she rang the opening bell at the stock market too or is that too apolitical to make your radar?

Watch Fox again tonight if you want to see more poutrage, whining and "sort of threatening" when they replay Trumps speech to the UN.

Not to defend Trump who there is no defense for. But skipping school to protest climate change is really really dumb.

No problems with her going to the UN and telling them that you are disappointed that the adults are not acting in the best interests of future generations. That needs to be said. Heck you can skip a day to go do that.

But go back to school, learn what you can so that when you get older you can take over and hopefully try to clean up the mess the grown-ups made.
You are getting very close to the right wing talking points with the first and last parts of this comment.

In an ideal world she could do both. And there's a good chance she will do both. But this is the one than makes sense to do now, while she can.

Should she sacrifice her momentum, her opportunity to prompt change, for school now - in the weak hope that she can return to campaigning for the salvation of the world later? That would be dumb.

Or should she seize the day and do what she can now - knowing that school will still be there after the fight has been won (or lost)?

I think she made both the right and the courageous decision.

Dumb! Who is trying to destroy the planet? It is hard to take this person or some of you seriously who think this tweet is brilliant. No one is “trying” to destroy the planet. How effing stupid can one be?
I have to believe you are, if you don't think it's happening.

You are getting very close to the right wing talking points with the first and last parts of this comment.

In an ideal world she could do both. And there's a good chance she will do both. But this is the one than makes sense to do now, while she can.

Should she sacrifice her momentum, her opportunity to prompt change, for school now - in the weak hope that she can return to campaigning for the salvation of the world later? That would be dumb.

Or should she seize the day and do what she can now - knowing that school will still be there after the fight has been won (or lost)?

I think she made both the right and the courageous decision.

I hardly think that saying that she needs the education to clean up the mess the grown ups made is a right wing talking point because right wingers don't think there is any mess to clean up.

I would argue that her campaigning and skipping school isn't making any movement what so ever. She can still take days off to go talk to the UN or for other events. She can campaign in her off hours.

But here is the thing, either education is important or it's not. If it's important, that is what you should be doing at that age. If it's not then it makes sense to quit school to go campaign about climate change.

IMO she devalues education by doing what she's doing. Explain to me why we should make sure teachers are paid more and we should invest in education if it's ok for a 16 year old to quit her education and she becomes a hero for it.

It's good that she wants to campaign against climate change, it really is. But we all still have responsibilities in this life, and we don't get to quit them for our political views. Her responsibility right now is to get an education. That's a responsibility to both herself and the people around her. (As education is a public good for all.) If I quit my job and left my family to go campaign for universal healthcare and an end to elective abortions people would with good reason look down on me for that.

Speaking in front of the UN is a unique opportunity so I'm fine if she takes a day off for that. But she should go back to school as soon as she gets home. And she should only take days off for unique opportunities, not the day to day stuff like leading a street protest.

And also if you want me to believe in the sincerity of your convictions, don't quit doing stuff you probably didn't want to do in the first place for it. Quit doing stuff you like to do for it in order to start doing stuff you don't like to do. Quitting on your responsibilities is not a self sacrifice.

Last edited:
President Donald Trump responded to an impassioned plea to global leaders at the United Nations by 16-year-old climate activist Greta Thunberg with a sarcastic late-night tweet.

“She seems like a very happy young girl looking forward to a bright and wonderful future. So nice to see!” Trump said on Twitter shortly after 11:30 p.m. on Monday.

He attached a news account of Thunberg’s remarks to the gathering in New York earlier in the day that highlighted a deeply pessimistic quote: “People are suffering, people are dying, entire ecosystems are collapsing. We are in the beginning of a mass extinction, and all you can talk about is money and fairy tales of eternal economic growth.”

Appearing on a panel at the U.N. climate summit, Thunberg chastised leaders for praising young activists like herself while failing to deliver on drastic actions needed to avert the worst effects of climate change, and she warned that if the world continued with business as usual, her generation would face an insurmountable catastrophe.

“This is all wrong,” said Thunberg who, with tears in her eyes and her face flushed, was visibly emotional as she spoke.

Cameras caught Thunberg giving Trump an icy stare as he arrived at the U.N. gathering earlier in the day.

Trump, who in the past has called climate change a “hoax,” gave scant attention to the issue that dominated the day on Monday.

After scheduling one of his administration’s marquee events — a forum on religious freedom — during the U.N. climate summit on Monday, he dropped by the climate event for 14 minutes in a surprise visit. He did not speak and left after listening to remarks from Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Angela Merkel, the outgoing German chancellor.

Merkel and French President Emmanuel Macron offered far different reactions on Monday to Thunberg, who began skipping school in her native Sweden a year ago to protest inaction on climate change.

Merkel met with Thunberg and posted a photo of her impromptu summit with the young activist.

Macron appeared to respond to Thunberg less than an hour later when he addressed the gathering in French and called on his fellow leaders to take more ambitious action given the urgency of the climate threat

“We’ve seen the emotion this morning,” Macron said. “We cannot let our youth spend every Friday demonstrating for the climate and simply answer, ‘Everything is fine, we are doing everything right.’ We are still far from the account.”

California Rep. Eric Swalwell, a former Democratic presidential candidate, reacted to Trump’s tweet about Thunberg with one of his own early Tuesday morning.

“By rallying the world to save itself, she’d already make a better @POTUS than you,” he wrote, adding: “(Also, she’s not a liar, a crook, or a whiny toddler.)”

https://www.thegazette.com/subject/...st-greta-thunberg-in-sarcastic-tweet-20190924
she has a right to be angry about adults affecting her future. However, she has picked the wrong target. Rather than being upset with those people who are using carbon to make their lives better, she needs to be m.j ad at those who are misinforming and even lying about what a bleak future she has. She needs to be upset with her parents and educators who are needlessly scaring her with lies

Why would I delete my post? I asked how she travelled to the us. You could have just answered without being an ass. This board is so petty and everyone thinks they read in to things that aren't there a lot.
Your posting history suggests you thought you were going to jump in with a giant burn about how she had flown in on a private jet with Oprah and other phony eco conscious Libs.
It’s been all over the news about how she got to the US.

Reactions: cigaretteman
I hardly think that saying that she needs the education to clean up the mess the grown ups made is a right wing talking point because right wingers don't think there is any mess to clean up.
No. Saying she needs to stop what she's doing and go back to school is the right wing talking point.

Like collegiate athletes, she can come back and finish her formal education after the current window of opportunity passes. If she wants or needs to.

I doubt this will prove to be a sacrifice for her, but even if it is, it's a worthy and noble sacrifice. I would never want to take that away from her.

she has a right to be angry about adults affecting her future. However, she has picked the wrong target. Rather than being upset with those people who are using carbon to make their lives better, she needs to be m.j ad at those who are misinforming and even lying about what a bleak future she has. She needs to be upset with her parents and educators who are needlessly scaring her with lies
How delusional or brainwashed do you have to be to not know which side is lying?

The vast preponderance of evidence is on one side. Some would go as far as to say all the real evidence is on one side. And that's the side she's on.

I have on Republican friend who still freaks out about people being mean to Barron on inauguration night. Probably something I should mention to him.

If I quit my job and left my family to go campaign for universal healthcare and an end to elective abortions people would with good reason look down on me for that.
If you weren't leaving your family without its breadwinner, that's probably what you should be doing - given your comments on abortion over the years. Greta is not leaving her family in a lurch.

Not the same.

Your posting history suggests you thought you were going to jump in with a giant burn about how she had flown in on a private jet with Oprah and other phony eco conscious Libs.
It’s been all over the news about how she got to the US.

False. I was asking because I didn't know if she lived what she preaches or if she is like most on this board that scream loud but don't do anything to help.

Did her handlers dock the carbon-neutral super yacht at Barack’s new fifteen million dollar mansion?

Cuz that would be an awesome place to sit and conspire on how to save the world.

Totally not hypocrites.

No. Saying she needs to stop what she's doing and go back to school is the right wing talking point.

Like collegiate athletes, she can come back and finish her formal education after the current window of opportunity passes. If she wants or needs to.

I doubt this will prove to be a sacrifice for her, but even if it is, it's a worthy and noble sacrifice. I would never want to take that away from her.

She doesn't need to stop what she's doing. She need to mix it with her responsibilities.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT