ADVERTISEMENT

Trump signs E.O. establishing National Council for the American Worker

The Tradition

HR King
Apr 23, 2002
President Trump signs an executive order that establishes a National Council for the American Worker, which will focus on responding to workforce issues across the country.

Last edited:
The Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM) has joined a White House national initiative to expand workforce training by committing to educate and prepare more than 127,000 HR professionals through the SHRM-CP and SHRM-SCP certification programs over the next five years.

SHRM President and Chief Executive Officer Johnny C. Taylor, Jr., SHRM-SCP, signed the new Pledge to the American Worker today on behalf of SHRM and its members.

"Business succeeds when its people succeed," he said. "That means people joining the workforce must be prepared for work and have opportunities to advance their skills as work evolves and their careers progress. With HR playing the critical role of leading industry's recruiting and retention efforts, SHRM enthusiastically pledges its support for an investment in lifelong education and workforce training."

President Donald Trump is asking U.S. companies and trade associations to give students and workers more job training and skills development opportunities as automation changes the workplace. He signed an executive order today to bolster vocational training through apprenticeships, continuing education, work-based learning, on-the-job training and re-skilling opportunities. The White House said it expected the initiative to lead to 4 million new career opportunities for students and workers. In addition to SHRM, executives with FedEx, Home Depot, Lockheed Martin, Raytheon, Northrop Grumman, Associated Builders and Contractors, and the American Trucking Association attended the event and signed the pledge.

The executive order also creates The National Council for the American Worker—composed of senior administration officials—to develop a national strategy for training and retraining workers for high-demand industries, and a workforce policy advisory board that will generate recommendations on the development and implementation of that strategy.

Skills Crisis

The president's order aims to increase the number of skilled workers in the U.S. workforce at a time when many companies are struggling to find qualified employees. The Trump administration has supported expanding apprenticeships, increasing access to STEM education for K-12 students, and passing an updated career and technical education bill in Congress.

Labor market data shows that there is a growing gap between the number of job openings and the number of workers equipped to fill them.

"There simply aren't enough unemployed workers in the current pool of those looking for work to match the growth in demand for new workers," the White House Council of Economic Advisors concluded in a recent report.

One problem is that many need more education or skills to do the jobs that are being created, and employers have been reluctant to provide that training ever since the Great Recession.

The Pledge to the American Worker is meant to address those issues by persuading employers to make new investments in training current and future workers, and allowing workers to learn in-demand skills and competencies.

"The assembly line, energy plant and retail store have changed dramatically in the past 25 years—and the jobs have, too," senior White House adviser Ivanka Trump wrote in The Wall Street Journal. "Nearly 1 in 5 working Americans has a job that didn't exist in 1980, many in technology, the fastest-growing segment across all industries. Such rapid change is one reason 6.6 million U.S. jobs are currently unfilled."

She added that many of today's in-demand jobs require specific skills training, not a college degree. "Yet for too long, both the public and the private sectors have failed to develop innovative and effective training programs."

The White House is hoping to change that. "Our vision is to create a workforce culture that fosters and prioritizes life-long learning," she wrote.

Skills-Based Hiring Necessary

Taylor has made skills-based hiring and workforce development a key focus of the organization.

In the HR industry, SHRM serves as the leading provider of resources for career development. More than 100,000 HR professionals hold its competency-based certifications, which validate proficiency in core areas such as leadership, business acumen and interpersonal skills and technical knowledge in more than 15 operational areas like talent acquisition, employee engagement and organizational development.

SHRM also supports better alignment between education and employment. The organization offers competency-based content to keep practitioners up to date on their skills and hosts continuing-education conferences each year. In 2017, SHRM developed SHRM University, an extensive continuing education program for its own employees.

https://www.shrm.org/hr-today/news/...pJobID=1322111581&spReportId=MTMyMjExMTU4MQS2

I guess Tradition, you just like being lied to. My God. The only institutions that have ever furthered workers pay and benefits are unions.
A press release by a president who debased himself in front of a dictator with a second world economy dependent on oil prices doesn’t change that.. thanks for playing.

I guess Tradition, you just like being lied to. My God. The only institutions that have ever furthered workers pay and benefits are unions.
A press release by a president who debased himself in front of a dictator with a second world economy dependent on oil prices doesn’t change that.. thanks for playing.

Suddenly the dems don't think the federal government is capable of helping workers.

#progress

Reactions: 86Hawkeye
No I don’t, and nobody in my extended family or grandparents has ever been a member of a union. However, I grew up in Cedar Falls in the seventies and eighties and saw the benefit of a strong union. Salt of the earth people were able to make great salaries, and many worked farms and rented land. Doctors, orthodontists, dentists, and mental health workers all benefitted. Countless houses in Cedar Falls, Waterloo, and Evansdale, raised happy families that sent their kids off to college because of a union.

Reactions: cigaretteman
Tradition your connection to Iowa is what, maybe you could present empirical stories that promote or demote the benefits of unions.

Suddenly the dems don't think the federal government is capable of helping workers.

#progress

Context matters. The GOP use organizations to enrich themselves at the expense of others. You all fear the exact government you vote for. Democrats like to use organizations the way they are intended to be used, and that is to help the people. The GOP hates this because they don't get to enrich themselves this way, and more importantly, it often exposes how terrible of people they actually are.

Context matters. The GOP use organizations to enrich themselves at the expense of others. You all fear the exact government you vote for. Democrats like to use organizations the way they are intended to be used, and that is to help the people. The GOP hates this because they don't get to enrich themselves this way, and more importantly, it often exposes how terrible of people they actually are.

You have to be kidding!

Democrats and unions have a long, corrupt history of enriching themselves at the expense of others.

Reactions: The Tradition
You have to be kidding!

Democrats and unions have a long, corrupt history of enriching themselves at the expense of others.

It's not unions fault that you consider higher salaries, benefits, and 40 hour work weeks the "expense of others". I'm not going to shed too many tears for the multi-billionaires that maybe only made $15 million instead of $16 million because of it. Wait, who am I kidding? Of course those CEO's didn't take a pay cut. They just let the business go bankrupt so they can also collect on their multi-million dollar golden parachute.

It's not unions fault that you consider higher salaries, benefits, and 40 hour work weeks the "expense of others". I'm not going to shed too many tears for the multi-billionaires that maybe only made $15 million instead of $16 million because of it. Wait, who am I kidding? Of course those CEO's didn't take a pay cut. They just let the business go bankrupt so they can also collect on their multi-million dollar golden parachute.

Good grief, the 40-hour workweek was won in the 1930s. WTF has the union done for anyone lately?

Good grief, the 40-hour workweek was won in the 1930s. WTF has the union done for anyone lately?

Lately? Not much. Probably has something to do with them being systematically exterminated. Unions only work when there are a lot of them. That said, 40 hour week is still the standard. When even the faintest remnants of unions are gone, so will overtime and paid time off.

Lately? Not much. Probably has something to do with them being systematically exterminated. Unions only work when there are a lot of them. That said, 40 hour week is still the standard. When even the faintest remnants of unions are gone, so will overtime and paid time off.

:rolleyes:

Has there not been an effort from corporations to move from a 40 hour week to an 80 hour pay period? Again, given any chance whatsoever, corporations will take the basic things that unions have delivered to workers.

You know there has been serious discussion in this administration of eliminating child labor laws?

https://news.bloomberglaw.com/daily...ration-wants-to-train-teens-in-hazardous-jobs

If a child wants to make money in a non-hazardous, appropriate situation to do so, why should the all-knowing government say, "no"?

We have authentic family-owned Chinese and Mexican restaurants where I live, and their "underaged" children are working there and doing a good job. Which is perfectly legal.

The Chinese place has a girl who appears about 12-years-old running the counter who runs circles around the slobs at the fast food franchises.

Why is that okay for a "family" business but not an evil franchise or corp. owned business?

Sounds like an unfair business advantage to me.

If a child wants to make money in a non-hazardous, appropriate situation to do so, why should the all-knowing government say, "no"?

We have authentic family-owned Chinese and Mexican restaurants where I live, and their "underaged" children are working there and doing a good job. Which is perfectly legal.

The Chinese place has a girl who appears about 12-years-old running the counter who runs circles around the slobs at the fast food franchises.

Why is that okay for a "family" business but not an evil franchise or corp. owned business?

Sounds like an unfair business advantage to me.

Absolutely. That has no potential for abuse at all. Are you trolling?

Absolutely. That has no potential for abuse at all. Are you trolling?

Did you work before you were 16? I did. I wanted the money. Why can't I be allowed to make money in a free society?

If abuse is the problem, fix the abuse. But don't punish the enterprising young person who wants to make money.

Did you work before you were 16? I did. I wanted the money. Why can't I be allowed to make money in a free society?

If abuse is the problem, fix the abuse. But don't punish the enterprising young person who wants to make money.

This is utter ridiculous. Kids don't know when they are being abused. There's a reason those laws were put in there in the first place and it wasn't to punish "enterprising young person who wants to make money".

Reactions: Hoosierhawkeye
This is utter ridiculous. Kids don't know when they are being abused. There's a reason those laws were put in there in the first place and it wasn't to punish "enterprising young person who wants to make money".

Agricultural Jobs
If you are not yet 16, there are many restrictions on your employment in agriculture, particularly in occupations declared hazardous by the Secretary of Labor. Once you turn 16 there are no restrictions that apply when you work on farms. Statesalso have rules, and employers must comply with both.

What hours can I work?
In agriculture, you can work any time outside of school hours. As with non-agricultural jobs, once you turn 16 you can work on any farm at any time. If you are home schooled, attend private school, or no school, school hours would be the same as the public school where you live while you are working.

What jobs can I do?
If you are:

• Under 12: You may work outside of school hours in any non-hazardous job on a small farm that is exempt from the federal minimum wage provisions as long as you have parental consent.
  • 12 or 13: You may work outside of school hours in non-hazardous jobs on a farm where your parent(s) work or with written parental consent.
  • 14 or 15: You can work outside of school hours in any non-hazardous agricultural job.
  • 16 or older: You can work in any farm job at any time.
Youth of any age may work at any time in any job on a farm owned or operated by their parent or person standing in place of their parent.

https://www.youthrules.gov/know-the-limits/agriculture/index.htm

What's more hazardous? Working on the farm, or working at McD's?

Now Tradition believes in the govt when it’s run by an enabler of an incompetent dictator.

Government-business partnership

vs.

Government-business adversarial relationship

What's better?

Oh, that reminds me of the U.S.-Russia relationship

Before I react any way, what is this council going to do? I don't think an EO can force businesses to pick up the tab for educating/training unqualified applicants. I don't think an EO can offer them incentives to do this.

Before I react any way, what is this council going to do? I don't think an EO can force businesses to pick up the tab for educating/training unqualified applicants. I don't think an EO can offer them incentives to do this.

The Pledge to the American Worker is meant persuade employers to make new investments in training current and future workers, and allowing workers to learn in-demand skills and competencies.

The Pledge to the American Worker is meant persuade employers to make new investments in training current and future workers, and allowing workers to learn in-demand skills and competencies.

I see. So, what's new? Don't companies who need that already do that?

I'm sure each different company has different needs and will support the pledge in ways that makes sense for them and their workers.

Ahhhh, I love the smell of freedom.
So it's a useless pledge? Companies already do this. No sin with the EO, but it's nothing to celebrate. This is what you're telling me?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT