ADVERTISEMENT

trump tariffs are definitely genius

"It is highly suspicious that this announcement came a day after the midterm elections," said Tony Corbo, senior lobbyist at Food and Water Watch, which tracks federal agriculture programs.

I suppose it probably would seem suspicious if it wasn’t announced until the day after the elections. Of course, since it actually was announced two weeks before the election, the timing really isn’t all that suspicious.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/busi...-producer-federal-bailout-20181023-story.html

"It is highly suspicious that this announcement came a day after the midterm elections," said Tony Corbo, senior lobbyist at Food and Water Watch, which tracks federal agriculture programs.

I suppose it probably would seem suspicious if it wasn’t announced until the day after the elections. Of course, since it actually was announced two weeks before the election, the timing really isn’t all that suspicious.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/busi...-producer-federal-bailout-20181023-story.html
You sure about that?

Your article:

A Chinese-owned pork producer is eligible for federal payments under President Donald Trump's $12 billion farm bailout, a program that was established to help U.S. farmers hurt by Trump's trade war with China.

Smithfield Foods, a Virginia-based pork producer acquired in 2013 by a Chinese conglomerate now named WH Group, can apply for federal money under the bailout program created this summer, said Agriculture Department spokesman Carl E. Purvis.

The OP's article:

A Chinese-owned pork producer will sell at least $240,000 worth of ham products to the federal government as part of the Trump administration's farm bailout program, the administration said Wednesday.

U.S. pork producer Smithfield, which is owned by the Chinese conglomerate WH Group, will sell 144,000 pounds of ham products to the federal government under the contract.

One of these things is not like the other. See if you can figure it out. Then start trying to make the case that they really are the same and let's see if we can squeeze half a dozen pages out of it of you being wrong. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: cigaretteman
You sure about that?

Your article:

A Chinese-owned pork producer is eligible for federal payments under President Donald Trump's $12 billion farm bailout, a program that was established to help U.S. farmers hurt by Trump's trade war with China.

Smithfield Foods, a Virginia-based pork producer acquired in 2013 by a Chinese conglomerate now named WH Group, can apply for federal money under the bailout program created this summer, said Agriculture Department spokesman Carl E. Purvis.

The OP's article:

A Chinese-owned pork producer will sell at least $240,000 worth of ham products to the federal government as part of the Trump administration's farm bailout program, the administration said Wednesday.

U.S. pork producer Smithfield, which is owned by the Chinese conglomerate WH Group, will sell 144,000 pounds of ham products to the federal government under the contract.

One of these things is not like the other. See if you can figure it out. Then start trying to make the case that they really are the same and let's see if we can squeeze half a dozen pages of you being wrong out of it. :)
The final details weren’t announced until after the election, but it was announced last month that Smithfield qualified for bailout money, giving Dems plenty of time to make hay out of the issue before the election.

From the OP’s link:

The Agriculture Department said last month that Smithfield qualified for the bailout money, noting that the agency would be purchasing only goods produced in the United States. Sen. Charles E. Grassley (R-Iowa), a farmer and member of the Senate Agriculture Committee, has expressed alarm that a Chinese-owned firm could benefit from bailout money intended to help American farmers survive a trade war with China.

We even had a thread about it here on HROT (albeit a short one). As you can probably guess, Ciggy started the thread.

https://iowa.forums.rivals.com/thre...s-anti-china-farm-bailout.248021/#post-5815144

The final details weren’t announced until after the election, but it was announced last month that Smithfield qualified for bailout money, giving Dems plenty of time to make hay out of the issue before the election.

From the OP’s link:

The Agriculture Department said last month that Smithfield qualified for the bailout money, noting that the agency would be purchasing only goods produced in the United States. Sen. Charles E. Grassley (R-Iowa), a farmer and member of the Senate Agriculture Committee, has expressed alarm that a Chinese-owned firm could benefit from bailout money intended to help American farmers survive a trade war with China.

We even had a thread about it here on HROT (albeit a short one). As you can probably guess, Ciggy started the thread.

https://iowa.forums.rivals.com/thre...s-anti-china-farm-bailout.248021/#post-5815144
LOL...and here we go. You do understand the difference between being eligible for something and actually getting it...right?

Reactions: cigaretteman
LOL...and here we go. You do understand the difference between being eligible for something and actually getting it...right?
We’re not going anywhere because I’m not going to waste any more of my time educating you on this. We knew last month that Smithfield was going to be getting money from this program. The only thing we didn’t know yet was how much. Dems had plenty of time to make this an election issue.

We’re not going anywhere because I’m not going to waste any more of my time educating you on this. We knew last month that Smithfield was going to be getting money from this program. The only thing we didn’t know yet was how much. Dems had plenty of time to make this an election issue.
It's not like you to give up so early. You feeling ok? It was announced AFTER the election that this company was getting the money. It was announced BEFORE the election that they were eligible. Those aren't the same no matter how much you wish it were so. You were wrong. Again.

It's not like you to give up so early. You feeling ok? It was announced AFTER the election that this company was getting the money. It was announced BEFORE the election that they were eligible. Those aren't the same no matter how much you wish it were so. You were wrong. Again.
It must have come as quite a shock to you to learn Smithfield is actually going to get the money the government had already announced they were eligible to receive. Who could have predicted such a stunning turn of events?

Reactions: Chillyhoff
It must have come as quite a shock to you to learn Smithfield is actually going to get the money the government had already announced they were eligible to receive. Who could have predicted such a stunning turn of events?
LOL...right on cue. Are you of the mindset that every entity eligible for something actually gets it?

LOL...right on cue. Are you of the mindset that every entity eligible for something actually gets it?
Absolutely every single entity? Of course not.

But be honest here. On a scale of 1 to 10, how shocked are you that Smithfield is actually going to receive the money that the government announced last month they are eligible to receive? 1 being “yeah, right, and I suppose Alabama is going to make the college football playoffs again this year” and 10 being “Holy f**king hell! They’re actually going to get that money?!”

Google “Smithfield bailout” and you’ll find plenty of links from last month that feature pre-election wailing and gnashing of teeth. If the White House wanted to be devious about this for election purposes they would have held off on last month’s announcement until November 7.

Now if you’ll excuse me I have actual work to do.

Just out of curiosity, how many of you who are outraged by a Chinese company getting bailout money were equally incensed when the Obama administration allowed the Chinese to buy the company in the first place?

I mean, if you're angry that our government is buying 72 tons of surplus pork from a Chinese-owned company at $1.67 per pound for the purpose of reselling it in other markets then you must have been beside yourself when our government signed off on the 2013 deal in which the Chinese government financed Shuanghui's $4.7 billion takeover of a company that represented 25% of America's pork industry.

Right?

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/whos-behind-chinese-takeover-worlds-biggest-pork-producer

Last edited:
Reactions: curt26
Aaaannnd...crickets.

Apparently the government buying a bunch of surplus ham at $1.67/lb from a Chinese-owned pork producer in Virginia is worse than letting the Chinese buy the whole damn company in the first place.

Aaaannnd...crickets.

Apparently the government buying a bunch of surplus ham at $1.67/lb from a Chinese-owned pork producer in Virginia is worse than letting the Chinese buy the whole damn company in the first place.
Seriously? This is your latest defense? Hmmmm....let's see...what's the difference between these two deals? F'it...you figure it out.

Seriously? This is your latest defense? Hmmmm....let's see...what's the difference between these two deals? F'it...you figure it out.
Well, let’s see.

In one deal we’re buying 72 tons of surplus pork at $1.67 per pound for the purpose of reselling it in other markets.

In the other deal we allowed China to purchase control of 25% of our pork industry.

Did I miss anything?

Well, let’s see.

In one deal we’re buying 72 tons of surplus pork at $1.67 per pound for the purpose of reselling it in other markets.

In the other deal we allowed China to purchase control of 25% of our pork industry.

Did I miss anything?
Yep. Try again.

Just out of curiosity, how many of you who are outraged by a Chinese company getting bailout money were equally incensed when the Obama administration allowed the Chinese to buy the company in the first place?

I mean, if you're angry that our government is buying 72 tons of surplus pork from a Chinese-owned company at $1.67 per pound for the purpose of reselling it in other markets then you must have been beside yourself when our government signed off on the 2013 deal in which the Chinese government financed Shuanghui's $4.7 billion takeover of a company that represented 25% of America's pork industry.

Right?

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/whos-behind-chinese-takeover-worlds-biggest-pork-producer

These seem like pretty different things to me. The sale of the company seems to be right in the wheelhouse of capitalism and the government staying out of private business matters. The pork buying subsidy program is in the government can use its power to pick winners and losers and interferes with the free market. It seems to me that people who are pleased about one about one probably should be at odds with the other.

I don't happen to think either is really a big deal.

Just out of curiosity, where do you think the hog farms and processing plants and workers are going to go? China?
Smithfield has hog farms and processing plants and workers in the United States and Mexico and Poland and Romania. The products go all over the world, including China. The profits now go to China, as of about 5 years ago.

Please tell me you’re going somewhere with this point, aside from declaring you can’t move a hog farm from North Carolina to Sichuan.

These seem like pretty different things to me. The sale of the company seems to be right in the wheelhouse of capitalism and the government staying out of private business matters. The pork buying subsidy program is in the government can use its power to pick winners and losers and interferes with the free market. It seems to me that people who are pleased about one about one probably should be at odds with the other.

I don't happen to think either is really a big deal.
My point is that Democrats are furious that the Trump administration, as part of their bailout of pork producers, is buying pork from a Chinese-owned company. But they have absolutely no problem with the fact that Smithfield wouldn’t even be a Chinese-owned company if the Obama administration hadn’t allowed China to buy the company in the first place.

Smithfield has hog farms and processing plants and workers in the United States and Mexico and Poland and Romania. The products go all over the world, including China. The profits now go to China, as of about 5 years ago.

Please tell me you’re going somewhere with this point, aside from declaring you can’t move a hog farm from North Carolina to Sichuan.
I'm sorry. What else matters? Do they avoid US taxes on those profits?

Reactions: Joes Place
My point is that Democrats are furious that the Trump administration, as part of their bailout of pork producers, is buying pork from a Chinese-owned company. But they have absolutely no problem with the fact that Smithfield wouldn’t even be a Chinese-owned company if the Obama administration hadn’t allowed China to buy the company in the first place.
So...they should have declared Smithfield as vital to US security interests? How - and on what grounds - would they have prevented the sale? TIA

Reactions: Joes Place
So...they should have declared Smithfield as vital to US security interests? How - and on what grounds - would they have prevented the sale? TIA
You don’t think that autonomy over 25% of our entire pork industry represents a vital security interest? You don’t think the Treasury Department had the authority to prevent the largest purchase of an American company by a Chinese company in the history of the United States?

If you’re okay with China purchasing ownership of a significant chunk of our food supply then that’s fine. You’re certainly entitled to not be concerned about that.

It just seems really odd that someone who isn’t upset at all about that would be upset that we’re going to buy $240,000 worth of ham from that same company.

ADVERTISEMENT