ADVERTISEMENT

Trump threatens to move Republican National Convention from N.C. if arena can’t be full

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
President Donald Trump threatened Monday to pull the Republican National Convention out of North Carolina if the state’s Democratic governor doesn’t immediately sign off on allowing a full-capacity gathering in August despite the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.

Trump’s tweets about the RNC, planned for Charlotte, come just two days after North Carolina recorded its largest daily increase in positive cases yet.

Promote health. Save lives. Serve the vulnerable. Visit who.int
ADVERTISING
On Friday, Gov. Roy Cooper moved the state into a second phase of gradual reopening by loosening restrictions on hair salons, barbers and restaurants. But he said the state must continue to closely watch virus trends and has ordered indoor entertainment venues, gyms and bars to remain closed for several more weeks.

“Unfortunately, Democrat Governor, @RoyCooperNC is still in Shutdown mood & unable to guarantee that by August we will be allowed... full attendance in the Arena,” Trump tweeted Monday.

He added that Republicans “must be immediately given an answer by the Governor as to whether or not the space will be allowed to be fully occupied. If not, we will be reluctantly forced...to find, with all of the jobs and economic development it brings, another Republican National Convention site.”

Cooper's office did not immediately respond to an email seeking comment on the tweets.

In an interview Monday on Fox News Channel’s “Fox & Friends,” Vice President Mike Pence noted convention planning takes months and praised the reopening strides made by Texas, Florida and Georgia -- all states with Republican governors.

“What you hear the president saying today is just a very reasonable request of the governor of North Carolina. We all want to be in Charlotte. We love North Carolina," Pence said. "But having a sense now is absolutely essential because of the immense preparations that are involved, and we look forward to working with Governor Cooper, getting a swift response and, if needs be, if needs be, moving the national convention to a state that is farther along on reopening and can say with confidence that we can gather there.”

A week ago, Republican National Committee chairwoman Ronna McDaniel asserted on a call with reporters that the convention slated for Aug. 24-27 would be held at least partly in person. She said the party enlisted a medical adviser and was consulting with the Charlotte mayor and the governor.

Several days later during a Charlotte-area visit, a top Trump administration health official sounded less certain. Asked about preparations to safely host the RNC, Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar said increasing testing capacity is important. However, he did not refer to a traditional in-person convention as a certainty, but rather noted that “we’re several months away from the possibility of the RNC.” Azar also praised Cooper's moves to reopen the state.

Before Monday, Cooper and Trump had yet to publicly spar during the pandemic. While Cooper has urged the federal government to help North Carolina get more testing supplies and protective gear, he's avoided criticizing Trump by name. Trump, meanwhile, has largely refrained from calling out Cooper as he has other Democratic governors.

Cooper, who narrowly beat an incumbent Republican in 2016 while Trump won the state, faces a challenge in November’s gubernatorial race from Republican Lt. Gov. Dan Forest, who has urged a faster reopening of state businesses.
https://www.chicagotribune.com/coro...0200525-efo6c736pjhlzc4u7exvmho734-story.html

My kids know you demand an immediate answer the answer is nope.
... and the reason given is, “Because I said so.”

On the one hand, the economic benefits would be large. On the other hand, Cooper seems to be well in tune with the health and scientific folks. We are still trending upwards in cases, so an immediate yes answer may not be forthcoming.
Personally, I would tell them to go away.

Last edited:
Reactions: cigaretteman
Trump knows that his reelection chances plummet without in person rallies. The energy they build, fundraising they provide, and bragging rights about crowd sizes are invaluable to him. I think that he's willing to roll the dice on getting his own base sick to ensure his momentum heading into the fall.

My kids know you demand an immediate answer the answer is nope.

I live just north of Charlotte. The virus is just now spreading through North Carolina, as cig posted above. Asking for a firm commitment for full occupancy in August would be foolish in North Carolina or any other state at this time. No one knows what the situation will be like in two months.

Hopefully, North Carolina and all other states will continue to relax restrictions without seeing a second round of flare ups. I am concerned about what will happen over the next few weeks around the country after seeing pictures of crowded beaches and pools this weekend though.

The prudent thing to do is for the President to make multiple plans for different scenarios, similar to MLB, the NFL and college football. I do not see any of them committing to playing games with full stadiums at this time.

I do understand the President’s frustration though. I have a daughter who graduated high school this year and has had to miss out on quite a few activities, like other graduates. Their academic awards presentation was made via video this week. Graduation will be a drive through ceremony. We are also trying to decide whether or not it will be safe to travel to Wisconsin to visit family in a month due to the ages of my in-laws (mid seventies). This pandemic impacts everyone and we cannot just wish it away or demand it end. We need to continue to make smart decisions while moving forward and hopefully limit any repercussions that might arise.

"Partisan Dem Governor dragging his feet to shut down RNC convention"

would be a more accurate headline

Stop the crocodile tears, BAU

... and the reason given is, “Because I said so.”

On the one hand, the economic benefits would be large. On the other hand, Cooper seems to be well in tune with the health and scientific folks. We are still trending upwards in cases, so an immediate yes answer may not be forthcoming.
Personally, I would tell them to go away.

We survived the NBA All Star game being moved. I am sure we will survive the Republican Convention being moved as well. Trump would love to move it to Florida and possibly one of his resorts anyway.

We survived the NBA All Star game being moved. I am sure we will survive the Republican Convention being moved as well. I am sure Trump would love to move it to Florida and possibly one of his resorts anyway.
Every time I see "Mooresville" it reminds me of graffiti I saw 40 years ago in a DQ bathroom north of Charlotte...

"Three fvckers from Huntersville are gonna die"

Short, sweet, and oddly specific. I always wondered about the fate of those "three fvckers".

Every time I see "Mooresville" it reminds me of graffiti I saw 40 years ago in a DQ bathroom north of Charlotte...

"Three fvckers from Huntersville are gonna die"

Short, sweet, and oddly specific. I always wondered about the fate of those "three fvckers".
You have me stumped on that one. I cannot come up with witty reply. Sorry

The prudent thing to do is for the President to make multiple plans for different scenarios, similar to MLB, the NFL and college football. I do not see any of them committing to playing games with full stadiums at this time

Yes, a normal person would do that.

A man with the brain, attention span and impulse control of a 15 year old boy probably won’t do that.

I never voted for Cooper but he has done a good job so far. He keeps politics out of it and has tried to listen to the experts.

EYxnoYEWoAEgXnj.jpg

Reactions: Huey Grey
I say let the dumb asses convene. Let them all get sick. If they’re that stupid, well, as the. red headed clowns cousin, Forrest Gump said, “stupid is as stupid does”.

I'd like to see which governors would - today - guarantee a fully staffed, fully attended convention for August.
DeSantis and Abbot would. I am sure the nut jobs from Oklahoma, Mississippi, and Alabama would, but why would Trump want to set foot in those s***hole states?
Doral has plenty of open rooms these days. This isn't my TDS talking, but do not be shocked if Trump doesn't decide to move it to Florida and force the RNC to buy up every room at Doral.

ADVERTISEMENT