ADVERTISEMENT

Truth be told and a question

johnnashhawk

HR MVP
May 2, 2009
We needed everyone that played last night. Correct me if my memory is clouded, but I believe Simpson goes to the bench with foul trouble, after Toussaint played great defense on him. Also managed to get inside the heads of MI. Then BK comes in, runs the offense beautifully to start our 20-2 run. Garza rests and Kreiner comes in, w/o losing a beat. Pemsl makes a couple of great passes, finishes with 2 assists to 0 to’s. Really good substitution pattern by Fran. One caveat, I thought JT should have been in the last 3:30 of the game to handle the ball while we were protecting the lead.

the question I have not been able to find an answer to, is points/possession and points/possession allowed. Anybody help??

No, he’s good with the ball when he is not trying to score, AND he is a good ft shooter.

Wrong again. He needs to tighten his handle when pressured but yes I’ve been pleasantly surprised with his FT shooting.

Connor is 3rd in the country Assist to Turnover Ratio at 4.13. There should be nobody handling the ball except him to protect a lead.

I trust Connor ball handling and decision making the last 3 minutes of the game over freshman Joe T. Joe will get there, just needs more experience and things to slow down for him.

Remember when a lot of people ripped Fran for playing Connor in a similar situation last year?

Reactions: perryhawk
So have the “Kreiner is a mid major talent” crowd.

giphy.gif

Having a back up big man of his size and skill level is such a luxury to have.
At the beginning of the season I was figuring that Nunge would contribute more than Kriener but Ryan has gotten better & better. He's not making the dumb fouls anymore and his FG percentage has gotten a lot better.

At the beginning of the season I was figuring that Nunge would contribute more than Kriener but Ryan has gotten better & better. He's not making the dumb fouls anymore and his FG percentage has gotten a lot better.

Nunge needs to come back as a backup five. That’s the only way he’s gonna be a positive contributor. He can use Kreiner as someone to model his game after.

Reactions: Rifler
Nunge needs to come back as a backup five. That’s the only way he’s gonna be a positive contributor. He can use Kreiner as someone to model his game after.

Exactly, play back up 5 and the 4 spot similar to Kriener, go hard and learn against Garza in practice, and start at the 5 spot when Garza graduates in 1 1/2 years. Nunge will be a substantial contributor in that role I believe.

He really hasn't had a chance to show what he's capable of in the appropriate role.

Reactions: kceasthawk
Really impressed with how Kriener has come on this year. Without Garza, think he could average double figures himself.

But the downside is, the only seniors this year come off the bench. Iowa will miss that senior depth next year.
Iowa will have a 4th year player (Nunge) and a 5th year player (Pemsl) as inside players next year. It'll be their time to shine with Garza.

Reactions: Hawksfor3
Iowa will have a 4th year player (Nunge) and a 5th year player (Pemsl) as inside players next year. It'll be their time to shine with Garza.

Yikes, that makes me real nervous. Really hope that freshman big man can provide some decent minutes as a freshman but thats a lot to ask.

Yikes, that makes me real nervous. Really hope that freshman big man can provide some decent minutes as a freshman but thats a lot to ask.
Upperclassmen tend to improve at Iowa. Both of those I mentioned have a chance to play healthy next year, not unlike Kriener (who was much-maligned in previous years). Give them a chance.

But he only plays because his dad is the coach. He wouldn’t play for any other team in a power conference.

I’ve read that here and I’m pretty sure I’m repeating it correctly.
If i remember correctly a lot of people were saying that last year.

Why would Nunge filling Kreiner’s roll make you nervous?

Because Iowa has been worse when Nunge is on the court so far in his career here and Kreiner has developed into a guy who would start for a number of power five teams. Which is a huge advantage when you can bring a quality big off the bench and not lose a ton.

Because Iowa has been worse when Nunge is on the court so far in his career here and Kreiner has developed into a guy who would start for a number of power five teams. Which is a huge advantage when you can bring a quality big off the bench and not lose a ton.

Exactly, Kriener DEVELOPED into an effective big man as a senior. Kriener certainly exhibited shortcomings in his game his first three years.

I expect Nunge to do the same. It typically takes big men longer to develop - exacerbated in Nunge’s case because he’s played out of his natural position so far IMO.

Nunge started multiple games (including ahead of Garza for a few games at the 5 spot) as a freshman and RS Sophomore prior to his injury (ahead of Kriener I might add). Fran didn’t do that out of the goodness of his heart.

He has the talent, he just hasn’t been put in a position to succeed yet. I think playing a role like Kriener next year will put him in a pretty good position to be effective in his last 1-2 years.

Of course, that will be a major drop off from Garza at the 5 spot.

I'm far from sold on Nunge's ability to contribute. That remains to be seen next year.

We needed everyone that played last night. Correct me if my memory is clouded, but I believe Simpson goes to the bench with foul trouble, after Toussaint played great defense on him. Also managed to get inside the heads of MI. Then BK comes in, runs the offense beautifully to start our 20-2 run. Garza rests and Kreiner comes in, w/o losing a beat. Pemsl makes a couple of great passes, finishes with 2 assists to 0 to’s. Really good substitution pattern by Fran. One caveat, I thought JT should have been in the last 3:30 of the game to handle the ball while we were protecting the lead.

the question I have not been able to find an answer to, is points/possession and points/possession allowed. Anybody help??

The rotations and sub patterns work because Iowa has 1 great player (Garza), 2 really good players (Wieskamp and Frederick) and then the rest of the guys all know their roles and are willing to do them. Guys almost always usually improve when they get regular playing time and know that they will get enough time to work through mistakes. Conor has been excellent, and it works because he's not counted on to score or get his own offense. He's perfectly fine moving the ball and doing whatever is needed to win. Kriener has been excellent in a role that is suited for him. Having a player of his caliber on the bench to start games is great. He doesn't have to get 14 points a game for Iowa to win, but he can come in, play hard, and if the scores some even better.

Reactions: CanadaHawk

Do you recall Kriener as a frosh? Numerous posters on here said he was a mid major talent. Wasn’t really till his jr. year that he really developed into the player he is now. It could be argued that Nunge has showed much more “potential” as a frosh than Kreiner did. He certainly was overmatched when defending the 3. However he blocked more shots his frosh season than Kreiner did his first 3 years and shot a respectable 34% from 3 hitting 19 of them or about the same Kreiner has made in entire career. Maybe Nunge will not come back from this injury but I think it’s just silly to say the team I has played worse with him on the court when all we’ve seen is his frosh season+5-6 games. He certainly has the tools. Not meant to be a knock on Kreiner but undoubtedly has some skills as good or better than Ryan has. Have to be a little more patient with the “bigs”. If you’ve watched Iowa basketball long enough you’ve seen numerous “bigs” that turned into studs with not near the skill set as Nunge.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT