ADVERTISEMENT

Trying really, really hard not to get my hopes up . . .

I will say this in addition to what you posted. Donald Trump proved we need term limits. A party can slowly build the people to become the end all be all. You can't corrupt people as easily with term limits.
There are term limits every 2 years for Congressmen and every 6 years for Senators. I think SC Court and Federal judges might do well with an 18-20 year limit and/or 75 years of age. I heard someone today talking about allowing each President to replace one justice every 4 years...there are lots of ideas...but something just strikes me wrong when talking about "term limits" foe Congressmen/Senators.

Barely. A smarter, less ADHD type could’ve maybe pulled it off. Imagine a solid supporting cast instead of Rudy and Kraken and the Pillow Guy.

My point is simply, let’s not find out.
What was scary for me today is that I believe these "tourists" would have hung Pense if given the opportunity. The testimony Ms. Hutchinson gave today was damn chilling. Trump should have been led out of the WH in a straight jacket that night! Throwing food against the walls......throwing WH china on the floor and against the wall.....a phuquin' 3 year old acts that way......Oh wait, I think I just figured it out.......

There are term limits every 2 years for Congressmen and every 6 years for Senators. I think SC Court and Federal judges might do well with an 18-20 year limit and/or 75 years of age. I heard someone today talking about allowing each President to replace one justice every 4 years...there are lots of ideas...but something just strikes me wrong when talking about "term limits" foe Congressmen/Senators.
Those aren't term limits, though I understand why you are making the suggestion. There's a big advantage to being an incumbent.

I think this showed how strong our institutions are actually. The “most powerful man in the world” (President) was thwarted at every turn by those institutions.

I just hope Congress gets off their ass and passes the Electoral Count reform act and gets rid of the vagueness he tried to exploit

I disagree with your first paragraph - to me it demonstrated how fragile our system is, and how much it relies on goodwill of people in positions of power.

Very much agree with the second part.

"attempted coup", "overturning election" - nice phrases for something that couldn't happen or wasn't attempted. I've not heard one piece on how anybody could or thought they could, get Trump declared the next president. It certainly could not have happened on January 6.

I am sure you are pretending to be ignorant, but here was one of the plans:

Reactions: torbee
"attempted coup", "overturning election" - nice phrases for something that couldn't happen or wasn't attempted. I've not heard one piece on how anybody could or thought they could, get Trump declared the next president. It certainly could not have happened on January 6.
Is Pence still alive?

Did anyone notice General Flynn taking the 5th when asked if he believed in the peaceful transition of power? Or that he took 5th about whether he thought the overrun of the Capitol was justified?

Well you have repeatedly demonstrated your ignorance and blind loyalty to stupidity, so your comment comes as little surprise.

For thinking adults, it is becoming clear that the Justice Department is building a fairly substantive case.
Funny how the left talks about the right drinking the koolaid. How many things have come out already about the deep state that they swore never happened. Check your sources. There will be more come out about previous regimes that you won’t admit either. There Truly is a great divide in America and it is not just in the the mountains. I agree to disagree. Now call me some name that will make you feel better about yourself.

• Haha
Reactions: Tom Paris
Funny how the left talks about the right drinking the koolaid. How many things have come out already about the deep state that they swore never happened. Check your sources. There will be more come out about previous regimes that you won’t admit either. There Truly is a great divide in America and it is not just in the the mountains. I agree to disagree. Now call me some name that will make you feel better about yourself.
Idiot. I do feel better.

I will say this in addition to what you posted. Donald Trump proved we need term limits. A party can slowly build the people to become the end all be all. You can't corrupt people as easily with term limits.
Wait... wut? Presidents have term limits. JFC

Why are you still posting?

Why? The DoJ has had plenty of evidence all along.
Did they? You say so...this method is much more “convincing”...America will see first hand how corrupt Trump was...how corrupt those surrounding him were for the most part and probably how amoral and pathetic the Republican Party was in their attempt to retain power...even at the risk of losing the nation’s form of government. The Republicans had a chance to avoid this mess. They chose not to resolve the problem...in 1974 the Republican Party played a huge role in resolving Watergate. In 2022 they simply exasperated the problem. This “Committee” will provide the DoJ with tons of evidence that will end up with many, many folks doing some serious jail time. Deservedly so.
I look forward to the Republican Party now starting their campaign to defame and ridicule Ms. Hutchinson over the next several months leading up to the election.

I think this showed how strong our institutions are actually. The “most powerful man in the world” (President) was thwarted at every turn by those institutions.
Yes. He was thwarted, or should we say "HAS been thwarted so far"?

It's been 18 months and he still hasn't really been stopped - still the frontrunner for the 2024 nomination. How is that even possible given the number of crimes he has committed?

In 10 years, after he serves his second term and is close to 90, he will get charged with a crime for something. :mad:

Yes. He was thwarted, or should we say "HAS been thwarted so far"?

It's been 18 months and he still hasn't really been stopped - still the frontrunner for the 2024 nomination. How is that even possible given the number of crimes he has committed?

In 10 years, after he serves his second term and is close to 90, he will get charged with a crime for something. :mad:
Let's hope charges are brought against him.

I have a feeling D leadership wouldn't mind if he was the 2024 GOP candidate though...

Easier to beat...

Reactions: globalhawk
Nice phrases, lol.

But is that remotely realistic? That several hundred unarmed morons would stand down the entire congress, law enforcement, the military? I don't see how that happens. And it didn't come close to happening. I mean, could it have delayed things for some days if there was some kind of hostage standpoint, for sure. But I don't understand how what happened January 6th ends up it, "whelp, Trump's the king now."

I mean, maybe that's what Trump thought and and he can be held responsible for trying it, but I don't think anyone reasonable thinks that was close to actually coming to pass. I mean the playbook for a hostage situation, seige, or occupation is pretty straightforward. It might be messy, and would be bloody, but it's not like nobody would have any idea what to do about these yahoos in the capitol so I guess we'll just have to live with it.

But if Georgia doesn't certify the election results? Or Pence won't certify the election? I think its way less clear how that gets dealt with.
The most inept insurrection in world history.

Success has nothing to do with attempting to stop Congress from functioning.

We feel sorry for you. It is sad that you are detached from reality and bamboozled into supporting a morally corrupt authoritarian figure. But you aren’t alone - history is replete with examples. Here is hoping you get help someday.

The thing is, while January 6th was gross and embarrassing and shameful, I don't think it's really convincing for some to portray it like January 6 almost ended democracy. I don't think there's a scenario that anyone actually believes in which the rioters go in, kill Mike Pence, establish a fortified defense of the capitol, and Trump is president today and buffalo head guy is vice president. Unless we hear that Trump had the armed forces on his side, that's just a non starter to me. January 6 could have been a LOT worse, and it still wouldn't have ended democracy or installed Trump as monarch. Ultimately even if it got as bad as it could have, with members of congress slaughtered or something, that ultimately becomes a law enforcement operation, and one way or another, that's one thing we know how to bring a resolution to in this country.

(That doesn't mean Trump can't be held responsible for TRYING to make that happen, he can be. Just that there was no "success" outcome of January 6th that is the end of Democracy or our institutions)

But I feel like the more dramatic aspect of January 6 obscures the scarier part. The shenanigans around false electors and states not certifying election results is the much more salient point and more concerning to me. Had that happened, had Georgia and Arizona governors respondent as Trump wanted, or had this scheme of Clark's been executed, or Pence had not certified the election...now you are talking about a real mess and a constitutional crisis that we'd still be trying to crawl out of today. No, I don't believe that would have ultimately succeeded, but imagine the "Florida recount" situation, but for years, the damage would be extraordinary. To me, this was the real threat behind Trump's actions, not January 6.

I mean, our institutions did hold, and it's no small thing to ignore that partisan Republicans from Trump appointed judges, to Trump Justice Department staff, to hard right Georgia governors and election officials, to Pence himself, stood in the breach and prevented any traction. That says something to the stability of our system. But to my knowledge, nobody ever tried to actually test the system like Trump did. There was no real guarantee it would hold, and I'm not sure you can be sure it holds every time.

It's very worthy to ask ourselves how we safeguard those firewalls in the future, and how we hold responsible those that would try to undermine them like Trump did.
You present The House chamber will a few hundred red neck jerks armed with firearms' knives, ropes , clubs and such and you see how quick “processes of Congress” are put on hold...and this alone is a traitorous act, and therefore illegal. This is what Trump apparently wanted to orchestrate, according to the testimony of Ms. Hutchinson yesterday.

The most inept insurrection in world history.

Success has nothing to do with attempting to stop Congress from functioning.

No, likelihood for success has nothing to do with whether people should be absolutely held accountable for trying.

However, hyperbole like "we almost lost our Democracy on Jan 6" is silly.

• Angry
This is why:

EhPRjmZWoAIu36u.jpg
Can we change Trump's election lies to "The Big Bamboozle?"

No, likelihood for success has nothing to do with whether people should be absolutely held accountable for trying.

If it were an attack planned and executed by a few hundred rioters, fine, maybe it’s hyperbole.

Coupled with the White House and enablers in Congress working in parallel - possibly even in coordination - to achieve the same result? This was an attack from the very top (literally) and the very bottom. Not sure it’s so easily dismissed as hyperbole.

We feel sorry for you. It is sad that you are detached from reality and bamboozled into supporting a morally corrupt authoritarian figure. But you aren’t alone - history is replete with examples. Here is hoping you get help someday.
Except the left is also supporting a morally corrupt authoritarian figure. It's just a matter of degrees, and we have no idea of the depth of the corruption of 45 or 46. On the face of it, 45 is more corrupt, but someone or some group is handling 46, and we don't know who that is, and how they are doing it. The ideal should be supporting what's right, period. The idea should be prosecuting corruption, no matter what level of government, period.

There's no reason Trump shouldn't have been charged with inciting a riot months ago.

We would have had "our Democracy" violated constitutionally, however. That much is NOT a stretch. I think the greatest harm coming out of 1/6 is so many folks treating this event as a "nothing burger" when in fact Trump and his circle might damn well have had other plans for America.
Nole.....it is "7 Days in May"ish!! It needs to dealt with likewise.

Except the left is also supporting a morally corrupt authoritarian figure. It's just a matter of degrees, and we have no idea of the depth of the corruption of 45 or 46. On the face of it, 45 is more corrupt, but someone or some group is handling 46, and we don't know who that is, and how they are doing it. The ideal should be supporting what's right, period. The idea should be prosecuting corruption, no matter what level of government, period.

There's no reason Trump shouldn't have been charged with inciting a riot months ago.
I disagree. If you want the DoJ to prosecute, they need to win....and that means getting "ALL your ducks lined up" before prosecuting......That mean knowing EVERY shred of evidence out there and how it can be countered......I think a lot of the DoJ delay is their wading thru all the evidence presented finding out what these answers are......The DoJ probably has 4000 hours of testimony to go thru, to this date. How many hours has America been exposed to, to date....maybe 10 hours?

The Select Committee for January 6 can recommend
to the U.S Department of Justice to prosecute Donald
Trump. However, it will be in the hands of U.S. Attorney
General Garland to pursue the prosecution.

Bottom Line: It will be interesting to see if Garland has
the fortitude to prosecute Donald Trump and bring this
nightmare to an end.

It's only natural that Confederate statue worshipers would downplay an attack on America.

Who in their right ****ing mind would support extremist radical racists who killed 360,000 American soldiers?

Lovers of America, right.

I disagree. If you want the DoJ to prosecute, they need to win....and that means getting "ALL your ducks lined up" before prosecuting......That mean knowing EVERY shred of evidence out there and how it can be countered......I think a lot of the DoJ delay is their wading thru all the evidence presented finding out what these answers are......The DoJ probably has 4000 hours of testimony to go thru, to this date. How many hours has America been exposed to, to date....maybe 10 hours?
Most "American's" have been "exposed" to 0 hours. They go to baseball and softball games, concerts, swimming in pools and lakes, golfing, and going to something called a Job, etc.

The large majority doesn't give a tinkers damn about a room full of Fing Lawyers and Politico's going blah, blah, blah........blah, blah, blah.........and furthermore blah, blah, blah.

Sorry to burst your hand-wringing/teeth-gnashing bubble, but it's absolutely true.

• Haha
Reactions: RileyHawk
Most "American's" have been "exposed" to 0 hours. They go to baseball and softball games, concerts, swimming in pools and lakes, golfing, and going to something called a Job, etc.

The large majority doesn't give a tinkers damn about a room full of Fing Lawyers and Politico's going blah, blah, blah........blah, blah, blah.........and furthermore blah, blah, blah.

Sorry to burst your hand-wringing/teeth-gnashing bubble, but it's absolutely true.
Which is sad and irresponsible if you are ostensibly living in a representative democracy.

I would argue it is every citizen's duty to be at least somewhat informed and engaged in what their governance looks like.

And that is exactly how we get Presidents like Donald Trump. You are too ignorant, too uncaring and too easily distracted to understand history as it is unveiled before your eyes. I agree that your type might well be the majority of Americans....and that is why things are so phuqued up now. Ben Franklin warned us that the toughest part of keeping the government the FF intended, the citizens would have to be informed and active in its workings. Folks like you 23, are exactly who Franklin warned us about.Your ignorance and intolerance are overwhelming.

Everyone in the January 6 thread has been certain of not just a riot, but an overthrow of the government. So why are you, and a few others, trying to dance on the razor's edge now? The DoJ doesn't have to wait for all the testimony. They have certainly been following along as we go, except for some closed door testimony. The DoJ also has court transcripts and other documents for everyone they've prosecuted. Quite a few said they were 'inspired' by Trump.

§ 22–1322. Rioting or inciting to riot.

(a) A riot in the District of Columbia is a public disturbance involving an assemblage of 5 or more persons which by tumultuous and violent conduct or the threat thereof creates grave danger of damage or injury to property or persons.

(b) Whoever willfully engages in a riot in the District of Columbia shall be punished by imprisonment for not more than 180 days or a fine of not more than the amount set forth in § 22-3571.01, or both.

(c) Whoever willfully incites or urges other persons to engage in a riot shall be punished by imprisonment for not more than 180 days or a fine of not more than the amount set forth in § 22-3571.01, or both.

(d) If in the course and as a result of a riot a person suffers serious bodily harm or there is property damage in excess of $5,000, every person who willfully incited or urged others to engage in the riot shall be punished by imprisonment for not more than 10 years or a fine of not more than the amount set forth in § 22-3571.01, or both.

Everyone in the January 6 thread has been certain of not just a riot, but an overthrow of the government. So why are you, and a few others, trying to dance on the razor's edge now? The DoJ doesn't have to wait for all the testimony. They have certainly been following along as we go, except for some closed door testimony. The DoJ also has court transcripts and other documents for everyone they've prosecuted. Quite a few said they were 'inspired' by Trump.

§ 22–1322. Rioting or inciting to riot.

(a) A riot in the District of Columbia is a public disturbance involving an assemblage of 5 or more persons which by tumultuous and violent conduct or the threat thereof creates grave danger of damage or injury to property or persons.

(b) Whoever willfully engages in a riot in the District of Columbia shall be punished by imprisonment for not more than 180 days or a fine of not more than the amount set forth in § 22-3571.01, or both.

(c) Whoever willfully incites or urges other persons to engage in a riot shall be punished by imprisonment for not more than 180 days or a fine of not more than the amount set forth in § 22-3571.01, or both.

(d) If in the course and as a result of a riot a person suffers serious bodily harm or there is property damage in excess of $5,000, every person who willfully incited or urged others to engage in the riot shall be punished by imprisonment for not more than 10 years or a fine of not more than the amount set forth in § 22-3571.01, or both.
Oh yes they (DoJ) do! They are not gonna walk into Court and have the other side drop a bombshell on them or their witnesses. Prior Proper Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance, Finance. If Garland decides to go to Court, he is figuring on winning......and wants to know all the answers to questions before they are asked. That is what good lawyers do. ALL the testimony has NOT been presented as of yet, Finance. We both know, the wheels of justice turn slowly. Have patience. Good things happen, in time.

Then you aren’t paying attention. That’s all 1/6 was about. But you stay loyal to the cult leader.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT