ADVERTISEMENT

Tucker DeVries

Ballhawk1221

HR All-State
Nov 6, 2017

Yesterday Iowa State offered Tucker, son of Drake MBB head coach Darien DeVries. A lot of people assumed that Tucker would go play ball for his dad, but if the Cyclones are actively pursuing him maybe that's not a sure thing. Could/should the Hawks get involved? I realize Waukee is more Cyclone territory, but still, the kid's got a ton of talent.

I understand it’s Drake or Creighton. Florida has also offered. As a Drake fan as well I certainly hope he becomes a Bulldog. He’s improving like crazy.

Reactions: PhoenixHawk5.0
I’ve been wondering why we haven’t gotten involved. I wonder if it’s just a respect thing by Fran to not go after another coach’s kid.

The DSM metro may be evening out as far as fans go but recruiting wise, Iowa definitely hits the entire state harder than ISU, including DSM.

Yesterday Iowa State offered Tucker, son of Drake MBB head coach Darien DeVries. A lot of people assumed that Tucker would go play ball for his dad, but if the Cyclones are actively pursuing him maybe that's not a sure thing. Could/should the Hawks get involved? I realize Waukee is more Cyclone territory, but still, the kid's got a ton of talent.
Waukee is more Hawkeye and Husker rather then Cyclone.

I don’t think fran can take two 3/4 kids with 2 open rides considering what the class looked like last year. If we had 5 open spots this year I have no doubt we would take both DeVries and Sandfort, and we would have a decent shot at both.

I would rather Fran keep pursuing some 4/5 star recruits from wherever rather than settle for more 3* recruits from Iowa. We have an opportunity to make some noise nationally this season and I would like the staff to take advantage of it while the window is open and use it as a recruiting tool. It's always going to be difficult to recruit to Iowa, but if we can stay in the national eye all season, it would make it less so.

I would rather Fran keep pursuing some 4/5 star recruits from wherever rather than settle for more 3* recruits from Iowa. We have an opportunity to make some noise nationally this season and I would like the staff to take advantage of it while the window is open and use it as a recruiting tool. It's always going to be difficult to recruit to Iowa, but if we can stay in the national eye all season, it would make it less so.
I have seen this said a lot and I genuinely want to know why it's so hard to recruit to Iowa?

Ballhawk, where do you live that makes you think Waukee is Cyclone territory?

“Cyclone Territory” encompasses about 15 mile radius around Ames.

DeVries looks like he is going to be really good. Possible the Fran has reached out but he isn't interested in Iowa because Fran usually goes after in state guys like this.

We have been getting some rare media love. Hopefully we can keep that going with some out of state 4* recruits, kids that have good names coming in....that creates the upward trajectory a program, and especially our program, needs.

I was told the Iowa staff favors Sandfort over DeVries.

They dont overlap toooo much as players I dont think so I wonder if fit plays into it? Sandfort seems like a tall wing forward who plays the 3 in a traditional lineup and the 4 in a small ball lineup. Tucker seems more of a big guard who plays the 2/3 wing positions but also has some playmaking skills to take on some PG duties. Some positional overlap to be sure, bjt enough difference to address unique needs

Reactions: L. Wade Childress
Ballhawk, where do you live that makes you think Waukee is Cyclone territory?

“Cyclone Territory” encompasses about 15 mile radius around Ames.

Grew up in Mason City and Waterloo. Apparently I'm mistaken about Waukee. Though, I thought Oskaloosa was Hawkeye territory and we lost Foster to the Clones. Lately it seems central Iowa is a little more split between ISU and Iowa.

Regardless, ISU has offered Tucker and Iowa hasn't.

I would have to believe Fran has reached out to DeVries. Fran knows talent and if Tucker had any interest in the Hawks this would be a no brainer offer. What I've heard is Sandfort is a super outside shooter at 6'7" tall. If he has some ball skills this would be a great get. Can't wait to see our Hawks play this winter!!!

Reactions: Mohawkeye
Grew up in Mason City and Waterloo. Apparently I'm mistaken about Waukee. Though, I thought Oskaloosa was Hawkeye territory and we lost Foster to the Clones. Lately it seems central Iowa is a little more split between ISU and Iowa.

Regardless, ISU has offered Tucker and Iowa hasn't.
I can assure you, Oskaloosa is Hawkeye territory.

Everywhere in Ohio is Buckeye territory, but sometimes kids don’t pick the Buckeyes.

Brody Brecht lives miles from Ames.

Of course Iowa has "reached out" to DeVries. I'd guess that it became apparent early that this kid is only going to play for his Dad. Or, possibly, he just doesn't like Iowa.

Anyone that could make the academic and citizenship standards at Iowa that chose to live in Ames for college over Iowa City is a fool.

I have seen this said a lot and I genuinely want to know why it's so hard to recruit to Iowa?

I still think a big part of it is, those Top 50 type kids all want to play in the league, get some guys in the league, and more Top 50s will start recognizing Iowa as a path to the NBA. I mean, yeah, Iona hasn't sent guys to the league, but Pitino has, and that matters.

If Garza and Wieskamp both get to the NBA, and play next year, there should be an uptick.

Reactions: globalhawk
Got to win something as well. Big10, Big 10 T, Sweet Sixteen, POY, COY. With the two expected to get drafted, would make kids notice.

Iowa is a small school in the middle of nowhere. We have no, or almost no, media presence. The weather is terrible. Part of that is terrible PR practices and part of its just geography.

The structures that would allow Iowa to lift our profile is strongly invested in the status quo, not Iowa. If your league has a media dependent revenue stream, and that's all P5 campuses, do you want the 2.5 million audience for a Michigan broadcast or the 250,000 Iowa audience? The dominant and all dominating imperative of institutions is institutional preservation. The TV/streaming services can read a demographic chart, they know from whence the clicks and hits are coming.

So the media investment is in the big draw programs the media promotes. Those programs benefit enormously from that media investment in recruiting, making it much harder for the non media schools to recruit 4 and 5 star caliber players. If you're Iowa, you make your problem worse by overly restrictive academic and citizenship expectations that freaks out over every trivial **** up, OWI, public intox, etc.... Other schools, like the Clones or Nebraska will take a guy if he's done some armed robbery if the kid has game or cannot read (e.g. the Davis brothers).

So, even when Iowa is good, and we have been most of the last 8 years, it is still very hard to get a lot of top hundred players, although right now Luka, both McCs, and Joe W are all top 100 players. Jordan and Joe T were top 120 4*s so our current group is a well recruited team and, not unexpectedly, have won a lot of games the last couple of seasons and are getting unusual media attention because of Luka. The 2021 class is small, I don't see more than one kid in the spring, and the kid we signed has a little recruiting profile, top 200 for sure and probably higher (247 average is 163 I believe). But the next class will be pretty significant and the absence of at least 1 4*/top 100 player will be significant, in a bad way.

Last edited:
Iowa is a small school in the middle of nowhere. We have no, or almost no, media presence. The weather is terrible. Part of that is terrible PR practices and part of its just geography.

The structures that would allow Iowa to lift our profile is strongly invested in the status quo, not Iowa. If your league has a media dependent revenue stream, and that's all P5 campuses, do you want the 2.5 million audience for a Michigan broadcast or the 250,000 Iowa audience? The dominant and all dominating imperative of institutions is institutional preservation. The TV/streaming services can read a demographic chart, they know from whence the clicks and hits are coming.

So the media investment is in the big draw programs the media promotes. Those programs benefit enormously from that media investment in recruiting, making it much harder for the non media schools to recruit 4 and 5 star caliber players. If you're Iowa, you make your problem worse by overly restrictive academic and citizenship expectations that freaks out over every trivial **** up, OWI, public intox, etc.... Other schools, like the Clones or Nebraska will take a guy if he's done some armed robbery if the kid has game or cannot read (e.g. the Davis brothers).

So, even when Iowa is good, and we have been most of the last 8 years, it is still very hard to get a lot of top hundred players, although right now Luka, both McCs, and Joe W are all top 100 players. Jordan and Joe T were top 120 4*s so our current group is a well recruited team and, not unexpectedly, have won a lot of games the last couple of seasons and are getting unusual media attention because of Luka. The 2021 class is small, I don't see more than one kid in the spring, and the kid we signed has a little recruiting profile, top 200 for sure and probably higher (247 average is 163 I believe). But the next class will be pretty significant and the absence of at least 1 4*/top 100 player will be significant, in a bad way.

So you are saying 7.6% of the state of Iowa watches Iowa games and 25% of the state of Michigan watches Michigan games?! You are crazy

I see your Davis Brothers and raise you an Anthony Hubbard

If you're Iowa, you make your problem worse by overly restrictive academic and citizenship expectations

? You do realize that compared to the other 13 institutions in the Big 10, Iowa has the highest acceptance rates for those who apply? (Yes that includes even NE which you called out).

We should all be proud of our schools, and Iowa has a very good academic reputation(I have a daughter who is a senior there). But let's not make claims like IA has Northwestern-esque entrance requirement levels that make it a primary reason athletic recruiting is so difficult. I am not saying there aren't other barriers that are real and challenging, but the facts don't seem to support this claim.

? You do realize that compared to the other 13 institutions in the Big 10, Iowa has the highest acceptance rates for those who apply? (Yes that includes even NE which you called out).

We should all be proud of our schools, and Iowa has a very good academic reputation(I have a daughter who is a senior there). But let's not make claims like IA has Northwestern-esque entrance requirement levels that make it a primary reason athletic recruiting is so difficult. I am not saying there aren't other barriers that are real and challenging, but the facts don't seem to support this claim.

Yeah, B10 coaches ranked Iowas b-ball coaching opportunity 9th or worse in every category in the B10 except 1, which ranked best in the conference.

That category?

Admissions standards.

BTW this poll puts Fran’s performance here in an even better light imo.

Conference-Chain-Big-Ten-853x480.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT