ADVERTISEMENT

Tuesdays with Torbee

soybean

HB King
Sep 30, 2001
I'm not always a fan of his style. But I have to admit that he nailed it with his most recent effort... and I'd even go so far as to say this is his best work yet.

Agree. Near the end, he talks about everyone involved, including KF, wanting to win the fans back. I think there is a lot to that. Those who know KF have always said for him, coaching the Hawks is more than just collecting a big paycheck. If that's all it was, he would have bolted for the NFL years ago when those opportunities were there (and when that money was still considerably bigger than what he made at the time). KF has strong, long-standing roots in Iowa City. I'm sure he cares about winning more games mainly in terms of wanting to keep his job. That would be everyone's #1 priority in his situation. I am also certain that he wants Kinnick to again be a magical place that's full for every home game.

I agree with everything other than in the beginning when he says he feels sorry for those that didn't renew their season tickets. I don't feel sorry for those people at all.

Agree. Near the end, he talks about everyone involved, including KF, wanting to win the fans back. I think there is a lot to that. Those who know KF have always said for him, coaching the Hawks is more than just collecting a big paycheck. If that's all it was, he would have bolted for the NFL years ago when those opportunities were there (and when that money was still considerably bigger than what he made at the time). KF has strong, long-standing roots in Iowa City. I'm sure he cares about winning more games mainly in terms of wanting to keep his job. That would be everyone's #1 priority in his situation. I am also certain that he wants Kinnick to again be a magical place that's full for every home game.

Also keep in mind all that his family has invested in Iowa Football. It truly is a family business. He cares a lot.

I agree with everything other than in the beginning when he says he feels sorry for those that didn't renew their season tickets. I don't feel sorry for those people at all.

Yeah, well I'm betting that deep down Torbee doesn't either.

Reactions: J_Heater
Let's not get too mushy here. The hard, cold reality is that most of the criticism directed toward KF and his program over the last five years was entirely warranted. Look at what's happening now after making many of the changes the fans have been calling for over and over and over again. And still KF has never humbled himself to admit that he was mostly wrong and people outside the program were mostly right. But the facts speak for themselves.

KF brought everything on himself. With critics in all corners and his legacy in tatters, the stubborn KF finally broke precedent. The results are clear.

But there was little reason to believe this would happen, so those who gave up their season tickets acted wisely based on history. KF has talked about change before, and we've seen the same old stuff. "Both quarterbacks will play." Uh-huh. Except the one not named JR. So why would anyone believe him this time?

Sure, congrats to Kirk for a revived program 3 games into the season. But that hardly erases 5 years of stubbornness and failure that no player or fan will ever get back. So while I welcome KF's miraculous rebirth, pardon me if I'm a little less impressed than some.

I'm not always a fan of his style. But I have to admit that he nailed it with his most recent effort... and I'd even go so far as to say this is his best work yet.
It was good, and he was correct that the feeling of having Kinnick rock the way it did was good to see. Glad to know that some important recruits were at that game. I don't know what it was exactly, but Kinnick came off as electric as #R$# on TV. The atmosphere was amazing.

The credit for the Hawkeyes 3-0 start this season is due
primarily to the fact that Beathard is the quarterback. So
In January of 2015, Coach Ferentz set in motion the success
Iowa now enjoys. However, if Ferentz would have had his
epiphany a year earlier, we can only guess what the results
would have been for last season.

Reactions: sloehawk
Let's not get too mushy here. The hard, cold reality is that most of the criticism directed toward KF and his program over the last five years was entirely warranted. Look at what's happening now after making many of the changes the fans have been calling for over and over and over again. And still KF has never humbled himself to admit that he was mostly wrong and people outside the program were mostly right. But the facts speak for themselves.

KF brought everything on himself. With critics in all corners and his legacy in tatters, the stubborn KF finally broke precedent. The results are clear.

But there was little reason to believe this would happen, so those who gave up their season tickets acted wisely based on history. KF has talked about change before, and we've seen the same old stuff. "Both quarterbacks will play." Uh-huh. Except the one not named JR. So why would anyone believe him this time?

Sure, congrats to Kirk for a revived program 3 games into the season. But that hardly erases 5 years of stubbornness and failure that no player or fan will ever get back. So while I welcome KF's miraculous rebirth, pardon me if I'm a little less impressed than some.

No reason to get mushy but no reason to rehash the last five years either. If you want to enjoy the present moment then let go of the disappointment of the past few seasons. Things change. I can certainly understand the fans who let go of their season tickets and I had low expectations as well until I started watching us play. No matter what has caused the change of course this season I know sharing the same stage of life as Kirk that life looks different at nearly 60 years of age than it did even a few years back seeing the end of my working years in full view whenever that point comes. Kirk wants to leave the program he has cared deeply about for so many years in decent shape before he moves into his own next phase of life. Embrace the moment as nothing productive comes from hanging on to negative feelings about the past.

Reactions: Pepperman
Yep, one of his better submissions. And a memorable game for sure.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT