ADVERTISEMENT

Turn on the Washed Up Bros signal

except that many black players were given negative scores on their draft rankings before teams were chosen. And none of the team captains were black. And at least one year, there were 17 white players chosen before the first black player was drafted. But yeah, it probably had nothing to do with black vs. white.
Jesus Christ are you that dense?

Go back and listen to the podcast again. They explain it. It has nothing to do with the color of their skin. It has to do with the fact that some of the players had negative scores based on their performance. The fact that the ones with the negative scores were black doesn't matter. Had nothing to do with this. It's not racial. It's no one's fault that in this situation, the players with most of the best scores happen to be white.

Anybody that wanted to win, would choose players who had positive scores. It wasn't race based you freaking muppet.

Did you even listen to this podcast? I suggest you go back and try it again. Jesus effing Christ

I thought this was pretty clear during the interview. Not sure how someone could come away with something different. If someone wants to argue that certain aspects of the point system may be not as fair for certain individuals/groups, that's something that might be worth a discussion.

They also made it clear why the 17 players first chosen happened to be white, they were going by those with the highest scores at the time, or scores without any knocks on them. The goal was to finish with the highest point total, so naturally you'd choose from higher up on the point board. They clearly said that while going through the process, it started to feel a little awkward and asked Daniels specifically if they were in the wrong for doing so.
Exactly

Hi
The business world very much requires people to adopt white, middle-class culture in the workplace. It's extremely racist and classist. We live in an extremely racist and classist society.

And "clear communication" generally means "clear to middle class or rich white people." And "professional" generally means "conforms to middle-class, white cultural norms."

Why else do people wear suits instead of robes in formal settings, for example? Why else do you think politics are off limits? Why else are people expected to keep a level voice at all times? Why are white hairstyles seen as professional while braids and dreadlocks are not? Why is blue jean worse than khaki? It goes and on. It's all middle-class, white culture.

EDIT: I'm not saying any of this is necessarily intentional at the individual level. But our social norms are adapted to keep powerful people in power at others' expense. They are designed to keep things exclusive - to exclude people who are not white, who are poor, etc. And, yes, people can learn to comply with these expectations in exchange for social mobility (as I have). At an individual level, that's probably a good call. But at a social level, it doesn't have to be like this. We don't have to make people alienate themselves from their cultures to gain economic security.
Hilariously clueless

Reactions: NoSwampDonkeys
And SOME weren’t? Of course they aren’t all. JFC yourself. The point was the vast majority of athletes don’t make money playing sports. If they aren’t prepared for the real world, like it or not, there’s a pretty good chance they’re going to fail. What job do you work at where there aren’t specific expectations for your grammar and appearance? Or is this do as I say not as I do?

They talk at length about what a huge change it was for black players entering the program and had great suggestions on ways to ease that transition for all players, black or white. There is no question that the coaches should have very high standards for all players. Your entire statement is undercut when you say the standards are for real life outside the hood. Even you have to recognize how that sounds and reads.

Go back and listen to the podcast again. They explain it. It has nothing to do with the color of their skin. It has to do with the fact that some of the players had negative scores based on their performance. The fact that the ones with the negative scores were black doesn't matter. Had nothing to do with this. It's not racial. It's no one's fault that in this situation, the players with most of the best scores happen to be white.

Anybody that wanted to win, would choose players who had positive scores. It wasn't race based you freaking muppet.

Did you even listen to this podcast? I suggest you go back and try it again. Jesus effing Christ

when the black players explain how they feel about how they were treated, I believe them. I am not black and I wasnt there so I have no choice but to accept their experience as they tell it. Is it really that hard to accept That the players accurately described their experiences and there are things Iowa can do better?

Proper English? So, you are calling other dialects improper? And, as someone with an MA who did just fine in our educational system, yes. Our educational system too often reinforces dominant social norms and heirarchies instead of challenging them. I absolutely advocate for reform of all sorts of things in our educational system including allowing students tonspeak whatever dialect or language they prefer.

That does not mean we don't teach the grammar, vocabulary and syntax of the dominant language (sorry to kill your straw man). It means we should also teach other grammars and syntax, in a perfect world. In an imperfect world, we should stop giving kids shit for speaking in other dialects.
You are what's wrong with our country.

EDIT: I'm not saying any of this is necessarily intentional at the individual level. But our social norms are adapted to keep powerful people in power at others' expense. They are designed to keep things exclusive - to exclude people who are not white, who are poor, etc. And, yes, people can learn to comply with these expectations in exchange for social mobility (as I have). At an individual level, that's probably a good call. But at a social level, it doesn't have to be like this. We don't have to make people alienate themselves from their cultures to gain economic security.
I understand what you are saying, but let me play devil's advocate to a couple of your points. my main criticism is in regards to the terms 'white culture' vs 'black culture'. is a black man who has adopted the so-called white culture, less black than a man who refuses to adopt that said culture? why do people not adopt a successful culture even to their own detriment?

you mentioned aave. is this not a form of power and control available only to those who also use similar types of power and control? aren't they also guilty of exclusiveness? if they want to isolate themselves and alienate others who don't conform to their culture, they shouldn't be surprised when they are rejected or avoided by those other cultures.

I just don't like the terms white/black culture. why is everything else so pc, yet with a topic so incendiary as this, its allowed descriptions that seem to incite confrontation? it seems when a representative of one culture uses the term white or black culture to describe the other group, its taken as derogatory by that other group.

i don't know man, i see it as a culture of opportunity... if you at least play along in a social setting. if you want to live an alternative culture lifestyle in your private dealings, by all means, whatever floats your boat, but when you live an exclusive and isolative lifestyle socially, don't be surprised when you are excluded and isolated.

anyway, good discussion.

So after all this, the 30-40 players (black and white) who weighed in with grievances just didn't understand that their concerns were really just "perceptions" and not actually "facts"...it wasn't really racism. They just needed to understand that their habits, dress, and language from the "hood" needed to change so they could compete in the real business world. The coaches had their best interest in mind and no real change was needed in the program...and if they had just seen things with the "Iowa Way" vision, they would retract their concerns. No racism, just misperceptions. Got it.

So after all this, the 30-40 players (black and white) who weighed in with grievances just didn't understand that their concerns were really just "perceptions" and not actually "facts"...it wasn't really racism. They just needed to understand that their habits, dress, and language from the "hood" needed to change so they could compete in the real business world. The coaches had their best interest in mind and no real change was needed in the program...and if they had just seen things with the "Iowa Way" vision, they would retract their concerns. No racism, just misperceptions. Got it.

I agree. Seemed like it was a beef about music in the weight room,earring, hats, tats and hair styles. Big one was following the rules and cultural differences made that difficult. A lot was petty IMO What was interesting was there really wasnt any specific big complaints.
Doyle thing was blown out of proportion but after the allegations and his
press release his position was no longer attenable.
Bottom line it looks like they want freshman to have their hands held to help them get through the first year. Which might not be a bad thing.

Reactions: CFNiteHawk85
I agree. Seemed like it was a beef about music in the weight room,earring, hats, tats and hair styles. Big one was following the rules and cultural differences made that difficult. A lot was petty IMO What was interesting was there really wasnt any specific big complaints.
Bottom line it looks like they want freshman to have their hands held to help them get through the first year. Which might not be a bad thing.

Good Lord, is that really what you took away from his post and the podcast?

I think you are seeing discrimination where likely it was not present. I've spent 20 years in the business world and have worked many different jobs. Employers are always seeking candidates who can clearly communicate without using slang, jargon or colloquialisms. We all know KF conducts the program as a business, and thus expects players to communicate in a manner that reflects a businesslike atmosphere. If a player is forced to communicate in a manner that reflects professional business communication, the more likely that said player will form a habit of communicating in a professional manner when it comes time for that player to pursue employment. I don't think it is asking too much for players to use business professional language when communicating with coaches or in team meetings. Players should be allowed to use whichever language they prefer when speaking to each other when not in a meeting setting as long as that language is not offensive pr degrading to others who might be in earshot. There's nothing racial about requiring players to use business professional language. It's pretty universal and recognized by almost every culture that has dealings in the business world.

Why is a Boston accent, southern accent, ect considered proper business communication? In my experience all parts of the country have slang, jargon, and colloquialisms that enter their business communications and is considered normal.

The terms “white culture” or “black culture” are vastly overused. Most of the habits that people like to describe as “white” or “black” have more to do with socioeconomic status than with race. If I walk through the downtown of my city, I will find numerous white people who have tattoos, dress a certain way, favor listening to rap music, etc. I have no doubt that black players were discriminated against by Doyle. I just don’t like the talk of “black vs white” culture. There are some differences, but a lot of these things are held in common and derive from economic background, not race.

when the black players explain how they feel about how they were treated, I believe them. I am not black and I wasnt there so I have no choice but to accept their experience as they tell it. Is it really that hard to accept That the players accurately described their experiences and there are things Iowa can do better?
You have no clue what you're even talking about. You're basically just repeating some woke word salad that doesn't even apply to anything we were talking about

Last edited:
Wow.

Do you really think it's that much to ask for all players regardless of race or color to abide by the rules of not wearing a hat in class or in the facility and not wearing an earring in class or in the facility?

The music thing was dumb and I agree that a wide variety of music should be allowed.

I would say the only rule that wouldn't be dumb regarding music would be requiring no explicit lyrics. I don't think that's too much to ask.

I've heard of teams actually having playlists put together specifically so that everybody gets there say in what gets played

People need to stop making excuses

Last edited:
They talk at length about what a huge change it was for black players entering the program and had great suggestions on ways to ease that transition for all players, black or white. There is no question that the coaches should have very high standards for all players. Your entire statement is undercut when you say the standards are for real life outside the hood. Even you have to recognize how that sounds and reads.
I put the statement "hood" like that for a reason. No different than when people say "police" or "white" people. Are they categorizing everyone?Not likely.

This is the last I will say on this topic. If anyone can prove that white suburban kids who like the hip hop culture were treated differently than black kids who also like that culture then I'm with you 100%. The fact is you probably can't. The difference is that most "white" kids can transfer to the "business" culture without being chastised by others. It used to be that a black person was lauded for making it out. Now it's more about keeping it real and having that "street cred". I went to a JC in Iowa that was a football power. Just imagine for a second who was there. Nobody, but nobody was more viscous towards each other than blacks. Good luck if you were a mixed race. I won't even use the phrase that was commonly heard because I'm sure it would get pulled out of context. There was no chance they were ever allowed to "act white". It wasn't accepted.

The bottom line is this - if you treat people differently because of the color of their skin then that is racist. If you expect people to act in a certain way, or adhere to certain rules and expectations while while under your supervision and with certain outcomes expected of you - then you're not. You may be called insensitive, or not "woke", but you're not racist. That term is used far too loosely.

I'm done with this because some of you want to make this all or nothing. It's just not. For F sake one person couldn't even accept the fact that I agreed with a statement made because we argued about something earlier. God forbid!

You have no clue what you're even talking about. You're basically just repeating some woke word salad that doesn't even apply to anything we were talking about

then please educate me on how and why you understand better what the players experienced then they do. This should be rich.

Reactions: littlez
I put the statement "hood" like that for a reason. No different than when people say "police" or "white" people. Are they categorizing everyone?Not likely.

This is the last I will say on this topic. If anyone can prove that white suburban kids who like the hip hop culture were treated differently than black kids who also like that culture then I'm with you 100%. The fact is you probably can't. The difference is that most "white" kids can transfer to the "business" culture without being chastised by others. It used to be that a black person was lauded for making it out. Now it's more about keeping it real and having that "street cred". I went to a JC in Iowa that was a football power. Just imagine for a second who was there. Nobody, but nobody was more viscous towards each other than blacks. Good luck if you were a mixed race. I won't even use the phrase that was commonly heard because I'm sure it would get pulled out of context. There was no chance they were ever allowed to "act white". It wasn't accepted.

The bottom line is this - if you treat people differently because of the color of their skin then that is racist. If you expect people to act in a certain way, or adhere to certain rules and expectations while while under your supervision and with certain outcomes expected of you - then you're not. You may be called insensitive, or not "woke", but you're not racist. That term is used far too loosely.

I'm done with this because some of you want to make this all or nothing. It's just not. For F sake one person couldn't even accept the fact that I agreed with a statement made because we argued about something earlier. God forbid!

I get it. It's hard to have a conversation on a topic this heavy in written word only because a lot gets missed. I agree about racist being a term that is used without much thought. I don't think that Doyle is a racist or that he intentionally said or did things to treat black players differently. But I also think it's wrong to act like the players are babies that don't want to follow rules and have exaggerated things. Not saying that you are doing that but others have.

Reactions: littlez

Bizon, you took my post exactly wrong. I overestimated your sarcasm detector and for that I apologize. Everything you said was the opposite of what I meant.

Reactions: hawkbirch
Great episode with Daniels and Lomax. I appreciate their perspective and experiences. And I appreciated the hosts asking pointed questions. I think the hosts did an exceptional job managing the interview (they didn't softball it here).

I appreciated the conversation versus 150-character tweets. The conversation gives context. The conversation ended with everyone on the same page - they just want the best for Iowa football and the players who pass through the doors.

Highly recommend giving this episode a listen ...

Good Lord, is that really what you took away from his post and the podcast?

What I found interesting was the players basically said that staff wasnt
sensitive to their needs and didnt understand them when they first arrived on campus. As in---they came from a black environment to a environment
where the people ordering them around didnt look like them. (their words)
Neither one said that Doyle was racist. They did say he was insensitive.
They did say that they walked in to an environment like they had never seen before. Very regimented and very rule orientated. They thought that
staff should be more forgiving during the first year to allow players to assimilate and for staff to learn how to handle each player on an individual basis.. The not wearing of hats, earrings etc took away from their individuality.

Heres the deal. D1 football isnt for everybody. Rules are for every one. If not then things go to shit real quick. Some assimilate to the rules faster than others.

It also seems that what many would consider small issues (hats , earrings etc etc) was important to them. With the supposed insensitivity and the rules that were insensitive to their culture
it snowballed.

One could look at it as the tail wagging the dog or that these were valid issues that deserved discussion or it was really over blown.

Im going with all three.

Great episode with Daniels and Lomax. I appreciate their perspective and experiences. And I appreciated the hosts asking pointed questions. I think the hosts did an exceptional job managing the interview (they didn't softball it here).

I appreciated the conversation versus 150-character tweets. The conversation gives context. The conversation ended with everyone on the same page - they just want the best for Iowa football and the players who pass through the doors.

Highly recommend giving this episode a listen ...

It was a great listen.

Reactions: Rustys Dad
then please educate me on how and why you understand better what the players experienced then they do. This should be rich.
It was explained in the podcast. I can't help it if you only listen for what you want to hear

Just because someone feels a certain way doesn't mean they are right

Again, the Hawkeye challenge is the perfect example. The black former player insinuated it was about race and the white former players explained it and showed that it wasn't about race It was about not wanting to lose so they picked the players with the higher scores. Yes, everybody in the room noticed that there was a definite disparity in who was being picked but, that was just an unfortunate coincidence

People like you are the problem

You so badly want it to be about race that you'll excuse things like this where it's improperly perceived as racism when in fact it had nothing to do with race.

It was explained in the podcast. I can't help it if you only listen for what you want to hear

Just because someone feels a certain way doesn't mean they are right

Again, the Hawkeye challenge is the perfect example. The black former player insinuated it was about race and the white former players explained it and showed that it wasn't about race It was about not wanting to lose so they picked the players with the higher scores. Yes, everybody in the room noticed that there was a definite disparity in who was being picked but, that was just an unfortunate coincidence

People like you are the problem

You so badly want it to be about race that you'll excuse things like this where it's improperly perceived as racism when in fact it had nothing to do with race.

are you really saying that when the players state how they feel about things they experienced that they are wrong?? The length to which you will go to ignore what’s right in front of your face is disappointing.
Take a minute and really think through what you are saying...black player reports one view of a joint situation and a white player reports something different. And the white player’s perception is correct even though everyone there noticed the definite disparity. Not all biases and disparities are intentional but to deny they exist is really dumb and ignorant.

Reactions: littlez and Bizon73
Just finished it. Really enjoyed hearing the perspectives. Lomax is especially eloquent and seems highly intelligent.

I took it for granted that the incoming recruits never really encounter the strength team during recruiting and when the recruits arrive, that’s basically all they have contact with instead of their recruiting coaches. I thought that was a very interesting point. Also enjoyed the discussion about the Hawkeye challenge. That seems to be when things really got to KF’s attention. And finally, I liked that Ward asked some tough questions back to the guys.

All in all, I was just happy to listen to a civil conversation about a tough topic. Nowhere near enough of that today. Just look at some of tough guys in this thread.

Wow.

Do you really think it's that much to ask for all players regardless of race or color to abide by the rules of not wearing a hat in class or in the facility and not wearing an earring in class or in the facility?

The music thing was dumb and I agree that a wide variety of music should be allowed.

I would say the only rule that wouldn't be dumb regarding music would be requiring no explicit lyrics. I don't think that's too much to ask.

I've heard of teams actually having playlists put together specifically so that everybody gets there say in what gets played

People need to stop making excuses
If you've listened to much rap, as an example (white or black) and take out explicit or offensive lyrics, there won't be a whole lot left in your playlist. Just sayin...

Reactions: dean_oliver222
I literally have a Master's degree in history and my field is the Middle East and East Africa, focused especially on SE Arabia and particularly on Oman as an empire that encompassed SE Arabia and East Africa. More broadly, I looked at the Indian Ocean economy on the 19th and early 20th centuries. I wrote my undergraduate thesis on the UAE and wrote my Master's thesis on UAE and Oman.

I know all about Asian and African empires. It's not the same thing and it has not had a strong influence on the current corporate business culture or economic structure internationally.

Thankfully, you don't have a figurative Master's Degree!!

I thought you were intelligent until you, literally, used "literally" in sentence, unnecessarily.

Get over yourself...anybody who uses "literally" as a literary crutch should be banned from having a Master's Degree.

I literally have a Master's degree in history and my field is the Middle East and East Africa, focused especially on SE Arabia and particularly on Oman as an empire that encompassed SE Arabia and East Africa. More broadly, I looked at the Indian Ocean economy on the 19th and early 20th centuries. I wrote my undergraduate thesis on the UAE and wrote my Master's thesis on UAE and Oman.

I know all about Asian and African empires. It's not the same thing and it has not had a strong influence on the current corporate business culture or economic structure internationally.

I approve papers for people like you and I would wipe the crack of my ass the first time you used "literally."

Have a good day with your devalued M.A.

It was an outstanding podcast. I have a much better perspective on how the black players feel and the challenges they face. Lomax did an outstanding job explaining the culture shock for some players. Doyle was running a program in a disciplined, military style that came off as insensitive to black players. You can see why given all of the different backgrounds guys are coming from. He ran a tight ship and if you couldn’t hack it the notion was move on. From a pure S&C only part he did a great job. From a total player relationship standpoint he got an F. The one style fits all players is problematic with today’s players and that’s where he failed. Let’s keep in mind he was one of the highest paid S&C guys in the nation so you have to do better than that.

The challenge is how do they continue to develop hard nosed, tough minded players but improve the player relations aspect and be more inclusive. They are working on it. That demanding vs demeaning.
Great post - nice observations.

The business world very much requires people to adopt white, middle-class culture in the workplace. It's extremely racist and classist. We live in an extremely racist and classist society.

And "clear communication" generally means "clear to middle class or rich white people." And "professional" generally means "conforms to middle-class, white cultural norms."

Why else do people wear suits instead of robes in formal settings, for example? Why else do you think politics are off limits? Why else are people expected to keep a level voice at all times? Why are white hairstyles seen as professional while braids and dreadlocks are not? Why is blue jean worse than khaki? It goes and on. It's all middle-class, white culture.

A lot of folks bandy around the term "culture" ... but they don't address the mode upon which particular cultures are "created." Some folks seem to put the notion of "culture" on a pedestal - however, often the dominant mode of culture-creation is via the influence of the rich and influential, via the government, via the plutocracy ... in other words, one of the most common modes is via those who are elite and/or in control. With with the presence of such "created" and enforced-cultures ... there is the typically minority (non-global) counter-cultures that also arise.

Culture itself is a dynamic thing - wherein its mode gets "dressed" via feedback interactions between the primary cultures and alternative (and possible counter-) cultures. Many folks seem to romanticize culture - almost treating it as a static thing. However, short of complete isolation, there really is no such thing as a static culture. For similar reasons, that's also why the term "proper English" is such a stupid term - because language itself similarly bifurcates and evolves.

Thus, we run into the oddity that many people base some portion of their sense of identity upon their perceived "cultural-identity" ... but they seem oblivious to the fact that they've attention a part of their sense of identity on a "moving target."

I don't dispute much of what you wrote - however, I do question the true value of what we identify as being "culture." Most of the time, I think folks find themselves getting hot and bothered about behaviors and customs that are things that were imposed upon them (and they subsequently adopted them) by those in power. There's definitely some irony there ...

It was an outstanding podcast. I have a much better perspective on how the black players feel and the challenges they face. Lomax did an outstanding job explaining the culture shock for some players. Doyle was running a program in a disciplined, military style that came off as insensitive to black players. You can see why given all of the different backgrounds guys are coming from. He ran a tight ship and if you couldn’t hack it the notion was move on. From a pure S&C only part he did a great job. From a total player relationship standpoint he got an F. The one style fits all players is problematic with today’s players and that’s where he failed. Let’s keep in mind he was one of the highest paid S&C guys in the nation so you have to do better than that.

The challenge is how do they continue to develop hard nosed, tough minded players but improve the player relations aspect and be more inclusive. They are working on it. That demanding vs demeaning.

Good post.
I think the program is inclusive as they treated everyone pretty much the same. Problem was many couldnt handle the abruptness of the new rules , discipline and the person instituting said rules and discipline.
Since the freshman years is basically a development year for most
May be they can ramp thing up in stages. Soft shoe it from the start and increase requirements every 3 months with evaluations every 3 months showing where the kid is physically, mentally and educationally. Call it a probationary or break in period that lasts a year.
This way kids having a hard time adjusting can be identified and a plan developed to help bring them along. All it may take is a kid needing an upperclassman as a mentor or a coach to sit down and talk to the kid to see how hes doing. Even though you have 100 teammates and lots of coaches and thousands of fellow student there are times that you can feel all alone even while being on the team.

I approve papers for people like you and I would wipe the crack of my ass the first time you used "literally."

Have a good day with your devalued M.A.
Lmao. People who think they can judge intelligence by assessing adherence to arbitrary rules of syntax (let alone in a forum like this, where I couldn't give less of a ****) are not people whose opinions I value.

You are correct. The object was to win so they said they picked players who they knew wouldnt screw up.

A lot of folks bandy around the term "culture" ... but they don't address the mode upon which particular cultures are "created." Some folks seem to put the notion of "culture" on a pedestal - however, often the dominant mode of culture-creation is via the influence of the rich and influential, via the government, via the plutocracy ... in other words, one of the most common modes is via those who are elite and/or in control. With with the presence of such "created" and enforced-cultures ... there is the typically minority (non-global) counter-cultures that also arise.

Culture itself is a dynamic thing - wherein its mode gets "dressed" via feedback interactions between the primary cultures and alternative (and possible counter-) cultures. Many folks seem to romanticize culture - almost treating it as a static thing. However, short of complete isolation, there really is no such thing as a static culture. For similar reasons, that's also why the term "proper English" is such a stupid term - because language itself similarly bifurcates and evolves.

Thus, we run into the oddity that many people base some portion of their sense of identity upon their perceived "cultural-identity" ... but they seem oblivious to the fact that they've attention a part of their sense of identity on a "moving target."

I don't dispute much of what you wrote - however, I do question the true value of what we identify as being "culture." Most of the time, I think folks find themselves getting hot and bothered about behaviors and customs that are things that were imposed upon them (and they subsequently adopted them) by those in power. There's definitely some irony there ...
I don't particularly understand or value culture as a static thing with set boundaries. And there is no Black Culture or White Culture or American Culture, exactly. But there are things that vary along what we perceive as racial lines and those things become reality because of how we perceive them.

Anyway, I use culture because I try to communicate to people in terms they understand. Maybe it would be simpler to say that we shouldn't ask others to adopt our ways of being, speaking, etc. And we should try not to define what is correct by what people who are economically dominant say or do. And we definitely shouldn't make people feel that they are less valued because the way they learned to be and speak is different from the dominant group.

Another psa: the wuw guys have Maurice Goodson on the pod this week. If there isn’t already enough reason to love that family and of course Tyler this will push them to the top for sure. Guy seems like a great guy and a great family. Worth a listen for sure!

I like Drake like I like laughing at my Dumbass friends who haven't figured out the next step yet. At the end of the day though you are reminded they are a dumbass.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT