ADVERTISEMENT

Turning Points In The Game

Jun 8, 2022
Or at least critical moments that seemed to seal our fate, imo.

1) The series where we were moving the ball (I think our second possession) and Petras airmailed about 4 throws in a row, the first of which Lachey probably takes down inside the 10 yard line and possibly even scores. A few more air mailed throws later and we punt, into the endzone (can’t expect Tory to be perfect all the time). I believe if we put 7 on the board that drive, as we could/should have, this game plays out much, much different.

2) the phantom hold and clip calls. The hold was marginal, maybe even the right call by the letter of the rule. But you can call that on every single play. The clip call was horribly wrong and unforgivable. Total drive killer - equal to a turnover imo.

3) we already had very little margin for error, but not scoring and turning it over on downs was the epitome of “not clutch.” We have opportunities all over the field on offense, but when your back is against the wall, we need a QB that just finds a way to get it done. Take the plays we ran off the table for a moment. Our playbook is so limited with Petras with no mobility, no accuracy, no moxy, no grit, and no leadership. Did anyone really think we were gonna get it in the endzone there? Hope, yes…think, no.

Any others come to mind?

Or at least critical moments that seemed to seal our fate, imo.

1) The series where we were moving the ball (I think our second possession) and Petras airmailed about 4 throws in a row, the first of which Lachey probably takes down inside the 10 yard line and possibly even scores. A few more air mailed throws later and we punt, into the endzone (can’t expect Tory to be perfect all the time). I believe if we put 7 on the board that drive, as we could/should have, this game plays out much, much different.

2) the phantom hold and clip calls. The hold was marginal, maybe even the right call by the letter of the rule. But you can call that on every single play. The clip call was horribly wrong and unforgivable. Total drive killer - equal to a turnover imo.

3) we already had very little margin for error, but not scoring and turning it over on downs was the epitome of “not clutch.” We have opportunities all over the field on offense, but when your back is against the wall, we need a QB that just finds a way to get it done. Take the plays we ran off the table for a moment. Our playbook is so limited with Petras with no mobility, no accuracy, no moxy, no grit, and no leadership. Did anyone really think we were gonna get it in the endzone there? Hope, yes…think, no.

Any others come to mind?
The 1 yard pass route when we needed 2 yards

#1 was huge. That overthrow by Petras to Lachey had both immediate and long term impacts to the game. The defense needed some support.

The 1yd pass when we needed 2yds pretty much sums up the Iowa Offense, Petras, and BF. Regardless of the penalty there Iowa had a chance to make it a 6pt game (could have been for the lead or a 3pt game if Petras makes that first half throw) but Iowa completes a pass a full yard short of the sticks with a defender all over the receiver. Heck Iowa could have even just kicked the FG on 4th if Iowa could have just got 3-7pts in the first half if not for the overthrow from Petras.

The offensive PI call on Bruce when he was blatantly held by the CB was big. Would have been 1st and goal, down 20-7, with a great chance to make it 20-14 with about 6:00 to play. It would have been a game. Instead we fail to score and ballgame.

The offensive PI call on Bruce when he was blatantly held by the CB was big. Would have been 1st and goal, down 20-7, with a great chance to make it 20-14 with about 6:00 to play. It would have been a game. Instead we fail to score and ballgame.
I was thinking he same thing. How in the world did they call that.

Iowa got beat in all facets but i really thought the refs called some ridiculous calls against Iowa.

Reactions: uihawk82
I don’t know, maybe the illegal forward pass two yards beyond the line of scrimmage by Michigan. The refs were absolutely horrible today but Iowa has to have an offense to be able to compete with a team like Michigan. Add in a defense that was tired after spending 20 minutes on the field in the first half.

ADVERTISEMENT