ADVERTISEMENT

Turning red after drinking

StormHawk42

HR Legend
Nov 3, 2009
The nopic wife has recently developed something where she turns red in chest, neck, and face after just a couple sips of certain types of alcohol. We’re tracking which ones but appears that certain wines and some cider is on the list.

A little research suggests that it’s some kind of enzyme deficiency. Doesn’t hurt her or make her sick but she’s just really embarrassed when it happens.

Anyone else deal with this or have a treatment recommendation other than not drinking?

The nopic wife has recently developed something where she turns red in chest, neck, and face after just a couple sips of certain types of alcohol. We’re tracking which ones but appears that certain wines and some cider is on the list.

A little research suggests that it’s some kind of enzyme deficiency. Doesn’t hurt her or make her sick but she’s just really embarrassed when it happens.

Anyone else deal with this or have a treatment recommendation other than not drinking?

Wouldn't that mean an allergic reaction?

Yeah my wife is the same way also when she gets stressed. Not a biggie.

Tell her she isn’t supposed to drink on antabuse.

hqdefault.jpg

Reactions: bojihawk44
Could it be the Sulfites?? Does it only happen with wine, and particularly red wine?? Some people develop a flush from the sulfite content in red wine. It may be that.

I have a little rosacea, and dammit, my wife always knows if I have been drinking too much because my nose turns a little red. It's easy to play it off in the summer, because heat, sunlight and physical stress are stronger causes than drinking, but damn, that woman knows....

Could it be the Sulfites?? Does it only happen with wine, and particularly red wine?? Some people develop a flush from the sulfite content in red wine. It may be that.

I have a little rosacea, and dammit, my wife always knows if I have been drinking too much because my nose turns a little red. It's easy to play it off in the summer, because heat, sunlight and physical stress are stronger causes than drinking, but damn, that woman knows....
I kinda thought so too. Doesn’t seem to be affected by dark liquor. We first noticed it after some rose wine. But now we’re noticing it from cider too. So maybe something in the sugars?

Anyone else deal with this or have a treatment recommendation otherThis. than not drinking?
I can relate to this. The wife(no pics) has the same issue. I keep offering to put some cream on her redness but she’s not into that evidently.

Reactions: unIowa
And you think HROT is the place to go for answers? Take her to an allergy doctor.

I kinda thought so too. Doesn’t seem to be affected by dark liquor. We first noticed it after some rose wine. But now we’re noticing it from cider too. So maybe something in the sugars?

I guess she's just going to have to stick to dark liquor then. Shame :). Seriously though, I'm not really aware of any other alcoholic beverages that have high sulfite content other than red wine. Maybe cider does? Your thought about sugars does make sense. Maybe the higher the sugar content, the more likely there are sulfites in the beverage? Would be a good research project. Let us know what you come up with :cool:

And you think HROT is the place to go for answers? Take her to an allergy doctor.

You think it's not worth asking a community of HEAVY drinkers if they are familiar with the problem before heading to a doctor's office? Lots of people ask around before they go in. And I am a doctor.

You think it's not worth asking a community of HEAVY drinkers if they are familiar with the problem before heading to a doctor's office? Lots of people ask around before they go in. And I am a doctor.

You think it's an allergic reaction?

Ok, doctor. What would your recommendation be?

Ok, doctor. What would your recommendation be?

It doesn't appear to be life threatening, so I would try various beverages, one at a time, and see which ones seemed to cause it. Try to find a common thread and do some internet research and see if it is something common, and learn from that. Even if you don't figure out what component of the beverage it is (i.e. sulfites, sugar content, etc) you would certainly learn which drinks cause it and what to stay away from.

Reactions: JWolf74
You think it's an allergic reaction?

doesn't sound like it. I think it is a reaction, but not necessarily allergic. If it was allergic, obviously, you'd want to stay away from whatever caused it to avoid any more serious reaction next time, like anaphylaxis.

It doesn't appear to be life threatening, so I would try various beverages, one at a time, and see which ones seemed to cause it. Try to find a common thread and do some internet research and see if it is something common, and learn from that. Even if you don't figure out what component of the beverage it is (i.e. sulfites, sugar content, etc) you would certainly learn which drinks cause it and what to stay away from.
You’re clearly not a doctor. You’re an idiot. “Test random drinks on yourself.” LMAO

I will occasionally come across a beer that gives me an allergic reaction. Itchy nose and red face. The only national brand that does this to me is Miller Light.

It used to happen to me all the time. Bright red neck. Figured it was an allergic reaction. Call me a quitter, but I had to give it up to prevent my wife (no pic) from leaving.

Last edited:
I will occasionally come across a beer that gives me an allergic reaction. Itchy nose and red face. The only national brand that does this to me is Miller Light.
Go ultra light and we’re best friends. Goes down like water, got hooked on it by my buddy’s hot mom.

Is she Asian? My friend always gets the 'Asian glow' after a couple drinks.

Was just going to post this. Had an Asian buddy in college who couldn't drink because of this same thing. He made up for it by always being high, which didn't make him change colors.

Appreciate your insight

You’re clearly not a doctor. You’re an idiot. “Test random drinks on yourself.” LMAO
Really?? What would you suggest in a situation where there was no true allergic or life threatening reaction? Do you think allergists have tests for gin, vodka, rose, Chardonnay??? Moron.

Reactions: NoleATL and JWolf74
Really?? What would you suggest in a situation where there was no true allergic or life threatening reaction? Do you think allergists have tests for gin, vodka, rose, Chardonnay??? Moron.
Explain, with references, why you would ever tell someone to drink random alcoholic beverages to determine if they’re allergic. You’re an idiot, if you’re a doctor, god forbid anyone is under your care. You even edited your post after the fact!

Have her chug that ish and boom, you are now banging a red head.

Reactions: Niko13
Explain, with references, why you would ever tell someone to drink random alcoholic beverages to determine if they’re allergic. You’re an idiot, if you’re a doctor, god forbid anyone is under your care.

She’s not allergic moron! That’s not an allergic reaction! People have reactions to various medications, etc. that are not necessarily allergic. I spelled that out earlier. Sounds like she has had this many times before, NOT LIFE THREATENING! It’s not dissimilar to trying to find out what food or spice gives you heartburn or diarrhea (many patients get diarrhea from certain antibiotics. NOT AN ALLERGIC REACTION. AN INTOLERANCE) so you know to stay away from it. She may already know exactly which drinks give her the reaction, so doesn’t need to test it out. There are many people who have posted in this thread about similar reactions, again, none life threatening. Get over yourself.

She’s not allergic moron! That’s not an allergic reaction! People have reactions to various medications, etc. that are not necessarily allergic. I spelled that out earlier. Sounds like she has had this many times before, NOT LIFE THREATENING! It’s not dissimilar to trying to find out what food or spice gives you heartburn or diarrhea (many patients get diarrhea from certain antibiotics. NOT AN ALLERGIC REACTION. AN INTOLERANCE) so you know to stay away from it. She may already know exactly which drinks give her the reaction, so doesn’t need to test it out. There are many people who have posted in this thread about similar reactions, again, none life threatening. Get over yourself.
But it could easily turn life-threatening. You’re going to recommend over the internet to take a chance and consult the internet on results? You’re not a doctor. Give it up clown.

He's not intelligent. Ignore him.

You could always have her try 1/2-1 tab of benadryl and see if it helps. She may get a little tired but otherwise it's pretty well tolerated.

You could always have her try 1/2-1 tab of benadryl and see if it helps. She may get a little tired but otherwise it's pretty well tolerated.
Now a doc is recommending mixing antihistamines with alcohol ROFL? Same guy?

Tell her to take a Bayer aspirin. I'm not a doctor but I know it has worked for my friends that experience the same redness issue.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT